Nebrasketball Article on ESPN

mrj

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116164/can-nebrasketball-get-back-on-track

Can we get back on track this year? Personally, I still think were a year away...

I sadly think we are always a year away.

If people really feel we are still a year away that means that miles will probably have 4 losing seasons in 5 years

Not nece-celery.  It depends on what we are a year away from.  If we are a year away from another NCAA Tourney birth, I'd say yeah, that seems reasonable.  And if that is the case, I'd also think it's reasonable to think we can make it to the NIT this year. 

However I'll agree with you in principle about it always seeming like we're a year away.  Kind of the Brooklyn Dodgers of college basketball.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/116164/can-nebrasketball-get-back-on-track

Can we get back on track this year? Personally, I still think were a year away...

I sadly think we are always a year away.

If people really feel we are still a year away that means that miles will probably have 4 losing seasons in 5 years

Not nece-celery.  It depends on what we are a year away from.  If we are a year away from another NCAA Tourney birth, I'd say yeah, that seems reasonable.  And if that is the case, I'd also think it's reasonable to think we can make it to the NIT this year. 

However I'll agree with you in principle about it always seeming like we're a year away.  Kind of the Brooklyn Dodgers of college basketball.  

If we make it to the NIT this year with this group I'd say that's an accomplishment and a step forward in the right direction.  I just have a hard time seeing a tourney run with the bulk of our players being freshmen/soph and other question marks that need answered.  The issue with saying we are a year away is the offseasons have not always been kind to us.  Is Gill back next year? Do any of the core fresh/soph transfer out?  Coaching turnover?  Etc.....

I remember thinking we were a year away a few years ago, and we went to the NCAA tournament.  A year later, my expectations were raised, and we underachieved.  We have the potential this year to overachieve.  Simply put, things need to fall in place.  But the schedule will make it hard.

We lost 5 players from last year, and 43.5 points in scoring.  Out of 72.2 ppg, we return 28.7 ppg.  We bring in 6 new players.  The question is, can those new players, plus some improved scoring from the returning players make up the deficit, and hopefully a little more?

Perhaps defensively NU will be able to equally lower the deficit to make up for a potential lack of scoring punch in the early stages of the season.

And for the trivia question of the day; What is "Shooter's" real name in the movie? No fair looking it up like I just did. Up arrow to anyone who actually knows this since I didn't and have probably watched the movie 50 times.

Dennis Hopper?!!!! Do they use the name in the movie, or is it just listed in the credits?  Great trivia question.