Refresh my memory please

jimmykc

stats as freshman

Taylor-22.4 mpg 6.4 ppg 3.3 rpg 1.2 apg 1.1 spg 39%fg 62%FT 34%3pt

Watson-24.3 mpg 8.6 ppg 1.9 rpg 2.4apg 1.2 spg 39%fg 79%FT 26.7%3pt

Southern Conference

Big Ten

it's still D1 basketball and Samford beat us last year.

It's a night and day difference in competition levels. And Sanford beating us was an embarrassment

stats as freshman

Taylor-22.4 mpg 6.4 ppg 3.3 rpg 1.2 apg 1.1 spg 39%fg 62%FT 34%3pt

Watson-24.3 mpg 8.6 ppg 1.9 rpg 2.4apg 1.2 spg 39%fg 79%FT 26.7%3pt

Southern Conference

Big Ten

it's still D1 basketball and Samford beat us last year.

It's a night and day difference in competition levels. And Sanford beating us was an embarrassment

b6982f3333.png

The first set of stats is from KenPom. It's my go-to for advanced metrics.

The second stats are from Hoops-Math.com. Gives me a breakdown of where guys shot from and if they get their own shot.

The stats tell us

Both players were sub-standard shooters

We're talking Tai/Benny 2014-15 bad though at least not Freshman year Tai/Benny bad. Both took about 1/4th of their shots from 3. Taylor shot better from 3 but only took rhythm shots whereas 40% of Watson's were off the dribble. 

Their shooting game inside the arc is different

Watson: Jump shooter, creates his own shot.  That 3.1% of %assisted 2pt Jumpshots is almost comically low....even Petteway hovered in the 10-20% range here. Over half his shots were of the 2pt jumper and a small portion of his ability to get his own shot has to be attributed to defenses letting him have that shot

Taylor: Balanced between driving to rim, taking a jumper. Taylor took it to the rim more than Watson and as you would expect drew more contact. While it's encouraging to see him make it to the FT line it wasn't at some sort of high rate nor did he make his FTs at a high rate.

Non-shooting attributes

Unsurprisingly, the taller Taylor was the better rebounder though nothing special. Where Watson excels is not turning the ball over as his Turnover rate is what you'd expect to see from a guy who doesn't actual dribble the ball. Both were about the 3rd/4th offensive option on the team. Watson played more minutes and took a higher rate of shots.

Samford's KenPom SOS 2014-15: 303

Nebraska's KenPom SOS 2015-16: 71

Even with Taylor apparently having a miserable shooting year at JUCO, I expect both players to shoot at a higher percentage this year.  

Regardless of what his percentage was, Im not worried about Watson's ability to shoot it

Plus he is so much stronger this year, I am guessing he will shoot three a lot easier. Take a look at what Rey G did his frosh year. three pointers were basically a set shot, then he got stronger. I think Glynn will be more than OK shooting this year. Imagine if he takes that mid range pull up out another 5-10 feet. Not to mention how much the strength will help his drives

Regardless of what his percentage was, Im not worried about Watson's ability to shoot it

His percentage probably won't be helped this year because he'll probably be the one with the ball when a possession goes stale and they've got to throw up a prayer at the end of a shot clock.  I also think this year that his shooting percentage will be higher if his average minutes are in the 25-28 range rather than around 35.

I also think this year that his shooting percentage will be higher if his average minutes are in the 25-28 range rather than around 35.

This doesn't make sense

I took it to mean that GW-Jr won't be as 'dead dog tired' when he's shooting with fewer accumulated minutes as the season wears on.

He didn't play close to 35 minutes per game last year. He avg 24.3 in the season and 25.7 in the conference.

I also think this year that his shooting percentage will be higher if his average minutes are in the 25-28 range rather than around 35.

This doesn't make sense

I took it to mean that GW-Jr won't be as 'dead dog tired' when he's shooting with fewer accumulated minutes as the season wears on.

He didn't play close to 35 minutes per game last year. He avg 24.3 in the season and 25.7 in the conference.

And I think this is what DDA seems to be saying for 2016-17: 25-28 minutes = more effective% than 35+ min.