2017-18 Husker opponents

Just wanted to give people a heads up that there are still some tickets for $18.50 available on ticket master for the Creighton game. It's a Saturday afternoon at 1:30 so there really is no reason not to make the short trip up to Omaha. The more red the better!

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0600533DF8A482C1?

I think we will have a good chance to beat Creighton. 

-Creighton's duo of Thomas/Foster is tough. Better than our Taylor/Palmer duo. But other than that i think were better in every other place.

-Glynn is better than whoever they roll out at PG. By what maragin is TBD.

-Jordy and Isaac will be better than their front court of Hegner and Krampelj.

-Bench will be close but i give the nod to us since we have experience and talent while they have talent but it is inexperienced. 

-However, home court will be huge for them.

9 hours ago, WestOHusker said:

We really gotta stop calling these things secret scrimmages, especially when we get to see a box score. Here’s Minnesota vs. Creighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thankful for that. By the time the season starts we will have already seen the guys take on two P5 teams, a lesser opponent where we can clear the bench, and a team scrimmage.

We will have lots of stats and data to obsess over until the regular season tips off.

Just now, khoock said:

I am thankful for that. By the time the season starts we will have already seen the guys take on two P5 teams, a lesser opponent where we can clear the bench, and a team scrimmage.

We will have lots of stats and data to obsess over until the regular season tips off.

And obsess over it we will.

One thing I do like that we haven't had often times before the Creighton game is a road game vs. a top team. With the trip to MSU right before the CU game and to a lesser extent the St. Johns trip (and even this last game vs. Miss. St.), we'll have seen a hostile atmosphere before heading to Omaha. I don't know if it will have any benefit or not, but there have been a handful of times where we've gone into that game not having played in a loud, raucous road game. Hopefully that helps.

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

I think we will have a good chance to beat Creighton. 

-Creighton's duo of Thomas/Foster is tough. Better than our Taylor/Palmer duo. But other than that i think were better in every other place.

-Glynn is better than whoever they roll out at PG. By what maragin is TBD.

-Jordy and Isaac will be better than their front court of Hegner and Krampelj.

-Bench will be close but i give the nod to us since we have experience and talent while they have talent but it is inexperienced. 

-However, home court will be huge for them.

Easy there.

I think it's fair to say we have a chance.  I'm not yet ready to say the chance is good. 

Don't underestimate the Krampelj kid.  And I'm not convinced Hegner will be in the starting lineup when they play us.  He's more like a stretch 4 and they have Krampelj to fill that roll who apparently fills it better.  So, maybe at the 5, they roll out a true post.  I don't know who that would be, but it might not be Hegner.

Thomas and Foster are both very good players.  Very, very good.  Krampelj has worked his way back from injury into the starting lineup and played impressively against Minnesota. So, I don't think he's going to be giving up anything to anyone.  Copeland's going to have to prove something before he gets anointed "better" than anyone that CU rolls out.

I think you may be right about point guard.  Davion Mintz did not audition well for the starting PG job with 3 assists to go along with 3 turnovers and 5 points in 18 minutes.  But they have a 4-star recruit on the bench waiting for his shot if Mintz can't get the job done. (Always thought Mintz seemed like more of a SG anyway.)

Bottom line: Creighton has plenty of talent and they wouldn't be a pushover particularly not on their home floor.

10 hours ago, WestOHusker said:

We really gotta stop calling these things secret scrimmages, especially when we get to see a box score. Here’s Minnesota vs. Creighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see that two other teams shot poorly from 3 point range in their first action also; wasn't just us in the 2nd half of our game.

Another thing I see is that Creighton's bigs really got in a lot of foul trouble.  Was this a function of the new illegal screen rules or was it just that Minnesota's big men were able to draw a lot of fouls? I assume the latter because Minnesota made as many shots in the paint as CU attempted (and outscored them by double in the paint.)  They also attempted 13 more FTs, connecting on 12 more, which was the difference in the game.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Easy there.

I think it's fair to say we have a chance.  I'm not yet ready to say the chance is good. 

Don't underestimate the Krampelj kid.  And I'm not convinced Hegner will be in the starting lineup when they play us.  He's more like a stretch 4 and they have Krampelj to fill that roll who apparently fills it better.  So, maybe at the 5, they roll out a true post.  I don't know who that would be, but it might not be Hegner.

Thomas and Foster are both very good players.  Very, very good.  Krampelj has worked his way back from injury into the starting lineup and played impressively against Minnesota. So, I don't think he's going to be giving up anything to anyone.  Copeland's going to have to prove something before he gets anointed "better" than anyone that CU rolls out.

I think you may be right about point guard.  Davion Mintz did not audition well for the starting PG job with 3 assists to go along with 3 turnovers and 5 points in 18 minutes.  But they have a 4-star recruit on the bench waiting for his shot if Mintz can't get the job done. (Always thought Mintz seemed like more of a SG anyway.)

Bottom line: Creighton has plenty of talent and they wouldn't be a pushover particularly not on their home floor.

As a good of a chance as we have had in recent years is probably a better way to put it.

Thomas is a defensive nightmare for the opposition and an efficient scorer. Foster gets buckets. But after that they are in the same boat as us with mainly young, inexperienced talent and transfers. However, i think ours are a little bit more seasoned.

Home court advantage and the mental advantage that was mentioned in an above post will be tough to overcome.

While I am not saying we will or will not beat anyone this year, we will know one heck of a lot about this team by Dec 17th.  This isn't something that we would have known in a lot of seasons (minus last year) before either.  

The more I look at it, the more I am thinking that how we play prior to Dec 17th could be a huge factor in how this season will go.  Get to 11 or 12 wins before January and we will be sitting in a pretty good position.

Boy oh boy though is that schedule a little daunting.

I'm back, guys!! 

Been a long hiatus, but I've decided to be more faithful and this year it's season tickets baby. Just got em in today. Haven't had season tix for a couple years since it was student tickets for me. I'll be up in the nosebleeds rapping HHC and Tim. 

Idk if well end up terrible or pretty alright this year with this crew, but there's a large degree of variance with this group. Very young and exciting group, I can't wait to see them. Just hope to compete (not give up and play terrible D) and at least f---in destroy Creighton. ?? hope they perform because if not I could see Tim put of here next year. Which is unfortunate because he's a good coach and a lot of unlucky things have happened, in a demonicly difficult league. 

Go buskers! 

Hey, Wolv, welcome back.

For now, I just want to play a competitive game against them.  We are so far away from talking trash that it's not even funny. 

I think they might have been primed for the picking this year except they pulled in some good players in their 2017 recruiting class including a transfer big man who, I'll be honest, I looked at film on him and couldn't figure out why he had no real offers.  He's 6'10", 250# and he has 3-point range.  And he's shown it in the exhibition/scrimmage stuff they've played so far this year. 

If it was just our attrition against their attrition, I'd be happy to be a little optimistic, but a couple of their freshmen look legit and so does this big man transfer.

So, let's just play the game and talk beating them when and if it actually happens.

A big question against Creighton (and also against St. John's and Michigan) is, can Jordy go out and defend a 5 that can hit from 3?  And if he can't, can he put up enough points on the other end to make up for that?

Copeland would appear to be a good matchup against them.  Creighton's options on who would guard Copeland man-to-man would appear to be Martin Krampelj (6'9", 220), Ronnie Harrell (6'7", 200), Khyri Thomas (6'3", 210), or Toby Hegner (6'10", 240).  I'd think that Copeland would perform well offensively in any of these matchups, but then he hasn't exactly torched Creighton the first five times he played against them.  Here's his stats vs them:

Date H/N/A W/L MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1/3/2015 H W 12 1 3 33.3% 1 1 100.0% 0 2 0.0% 0 0   0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 2
1/31/2015 A W 19 3 6 50.0% 2 3 66.7% 1 3 33.3% 0 0   3 5 8 1 0 1 1 1 7
3/12/2015 N W 17 1 4 25.0% 1 2 50.0% 0 2 0.0% 0 0   0 3 3 0 0 0 0 1 2
1/5/2016 A L 32 0 3 0.0% 0 2 0.0% 0 1 0.0% 1 2 50.0% 1 1 2 3 1 1 1 1 1
1/26/2016 H W 38 3 10 30.0% 3 7 42.9% 0 3 0.0% 1 1 100.0% 3 7 10 7 0 1 1 3 7
TOTALS       8 26 30.7% 7 15 46.7% 1 11 9.1% 2 3 66.7% 7 17 24 11 1 4 3 7

Season opening E Illinois game set for 7:30

Sat, 
Nov 11
Eastern Illinois Pinnacle Bank Arena 7:30 p.m.  

BTN Plus

Women's game will start at 3

Sat, 
Nov 11
Southern Illinois Edwardsville Pinnacle Bank Arena 3:00 p.m.   BTN Plus

We should be OK for the 7:30 start time as long as the women's game doesn't go into 25 overtimes.