2018 G Xavier Johnson - Decommit to Pitt

ajb5856

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, Swan88 said:

Here's a great article from today's Washington Post. 

And here are some quotes from Xavier's High School coach, Joe Wootten:

“The best thing I can say about him is every practice, every workout, every game, he competes his tail off,” Wootten said. “That has been a big credit as his development as a player.”

“I’ve been around a lot of great high school players, McDonald All-Americans, and his speed is right at the top,” Wootten said. “Great defensive speed, offensive speed and competitor speed.”

And here is a quote from Xavier:

“I feel like they are an underrated team,” Johnson said of Nebraska. “All my life I’ve been underrated, and now I’ll be coming in and competing with them as a top program.”

Joe Wootten is the son of the longtime DeMatha  high school coach Morgan Wootten, by the way.

I hope Johnson is physically/mentally ready to go next year and can be a consistent threat to break down the opposing defense off the dribble.  NU doesn't really have anyone right now that can do that.  IMO, Watson has regressed regarding that ability mostly because of his lack of bulk (although, maybe less penetration had something to do with the significantly different make-up of the team), Palmer really is more of the brute force type of penetrator who's going to look to shoot before passing and I don't think Allen is really that kind of player at all.  Without anybody who can shoot well, that's a recipe for disaster.  Michigan and MSU absolutely destroyed NU with relatively unhindered dribble penetration and kick-outs for 3 or drop-offs to the screening big guy for easy layups/dunks.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a real shame he based his commitment to Nebraska off of an assistant coach that had virtually no chance of still being here in 3 or 4 years anyhow. Might of just been a transfer in a year or two when kenya probably woulda left anyhow. I always figured Kenya would leave once his son was done with high school anyways, turns out he just got out while the getting was good. 

• hhcmatt changed the title to 2018 G Xavier Johnson - Decommit
  • hhcmatt unpinned this topic
56 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I believe uconn filled up their last scholarship today w a St. John’s transfer and Georgetown got their point gaurd of the future a couple days ago. Hopefully he listens to his mom and still gives us a look. 

In terms of playing time for a PG it's wide open after Glynn graduates

• 2 weeks later...