Hawkins

kldm64

Here is the McDonald's basketaball website. http://www.mcdepk.com/2013allamericangames/media.html

The list is HUGE.  Weird too, like only 1 from Nebraska, and 1 from Missouri.  But a boat load from Iowa, Even a set of twins from Danville.

I didn't dig enough to see how you get on the list, but it seems the best basketball in the country is played in Iowa and Oklahoma. :blink:

Here is the McDonald's basketaball website. http://www.mcdepk.com/2013allamericangames/media.html

The list is HUGE.  Weird too, like only 1 from Nebraska, and 1 from Missouri.  But a boat load from Iowa, Even a set of twins from Danville.

I didn't dig enough to see how you get on the list, but it seems the best basketball in the country is played in Iowa and Oklahoma. :blink:

i figured it was pretty big. There was a kid from a local Charlotte highschool, Carson Sullivan, who was nominated for McDonalds all american. He was good but nowhere near the top prospects in the country. Ended up at penn and transferred to Guilford College in Greensboro. There's a lot of kids who get nominated by coaches or whoever and don't really have business being on the list. Not saying anything about Hawkins, just giving some background 

I hate to say it, but this is a kind of hollow "honor."  Hawkins is one of three players from his high school, Rowlett High, to receive nominations.  One of the other kids is a decent player on his way to Okie State, but the third is heading to Belmont for college.  Not even a high major recruit.

I think it looks like certain coaches have decided to game the system by getting their players nominated.  Of the 24 Texas players, three of them are from Rowlette High, four are from North Crowley High, two from Ft. Bend Travis and two from Prime Prep.  That's basically half the nominations from the state of Texas coming from only 4 schools.

And 35 kids from Iowa but only 7 from Indiana, a state with 6.5 million people?  Nuh uh.  Not buyin' it.  B)

I hate to say it, but this is a kind of hollow "honor."  Hawkins is one of three players from his high school, Rowlett High, to receive nominations.  One of the other kids is a decent player on his way to Okie State, but the third is heading to Belmont for college.  Not even a high major recruit.

I think it looks like certain coaches have decided to game the system by getting their players nominated.  Of the 24 Texas players, three of them are from Rowlette High, four are from North Crowley High, two from Ft. Bend Travis and two from Prime Prep.  That's basically half the nominations from the state of Texas coming from only 4 schools.

And 35 kids from Iowa but only 7 from Indiana, a state with 6.5 million people?  Nuh uh.  Not buyin' it.  B)

Nice detective work, Norm. Why the disparity? I know zero about the selection process for this distinction, but you would think that Indy would have a bunch in comparison to, say, Iowa.

Have we ever had a McDonalds All-American on the team?

Wasn't Bear Jones a strong nominee out of high school? When he had two functional feet?

And I think Jaron Boone might have been. Would probably have to go back to the 90s.

Okay, I just checked, and I didn't see anyone on the team rosters. I looked specifically for our best players back to the late 70s. Nada.