2018 PG A.J. Green - Northern Iowa

hhcmatt

• 5 months later...

What about Keyshawn Embery?  He's #103.

Class of 2018 replaces next year's seniors, so Anton Gill, Evan Taylor, and Nick Fuller. 

It's going to be a struggle to fill the '18 class with star power if we continue to struggle on the court as a result of ongoing injuries, etc.  Need to give recruits some reason for optimism.

The BIG year is going to be the 2019 class, which has to replace Glynn, Ed, Michael, Jack, Isaac, and James.  REALLY need star power in that class, so even if we don't get over our struggles this year, we have to make some big noise next season in order to put ourselves in position to succeed with the class of 2019.  That's a HUGE recruiting class not only in terms of size but also importance.

But the '18 class also is important because you're going to need some players to bridge things a bit when the '15 class (Watson, Morrow et al) graduates.  That's one of the reasons why I really would love to see us land Embery.  Give him a year under Watson before he becomes that guy.

Edited by Norm Peterson

3 hours ago, LK1 said:

I like this offer a lot.  Green has a gorgeous jumper and looks like a great shooter.  He's a true scoring PG, and he'd be a great get.  

Embery looks like a 5 star to me.  Just freak show stuff offensively.  He's a program changer.  

Big league, big time pull-up jumper off the dribble.  How athletic is he?

21 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Big league, big time pull-up jumper off the dribble.  How athletic is he?

Looks debatable, and definitely needs work on his upper body, but one thing you can't coach:  an unblockable behind-your-head Larry Bird release that goes in.  Kid has Larry Legend form on the set shot.  Bird got away with a lack of athleticism because of that form (and all world skills, obviously).  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Looks debatable, and definitely needs work on his upper body, but one thing you can't coach:  an unblockable behind-your-head Larry Bird release that goes in.  Kid has Larry Legend form on the set shot.  Bird got away with a lack of athleticism because of that form (and all world skills, obviously).  

Bird was the person I thought of as well when I saw his release.  From some angles it looks pretty weird, but it's from the top of his head, which makes the release point pretty damn high.  Nothing wrong with that.

44 minutes ago, 49r said:

speaking of funky release, did anyone see video highlights of the LaMelo Ball 92 point game last night?

If you think Lonzo has a funky release, he's got nothing on his little bro...

Dang, more than 40 of those points came in the 4th quarter.

What's nuts is that despite him scoring 92, his teammates still scored more than 50 more points to add to that. That's nuts. Not good basketball either.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, noahjb24 said:

AJ Green, Joey Hauser, and Ed Chang are all on the same AAU summer team this summer. Could be very beneficial for us if Timmy plays his cards right and makes an appearance often. The Iowa Barnstormers is the team name.

I wonder if that means Chang is no longer with Mokan Elite. That's a top-level program, he played there with Carte'are Gordon, who's ranked something like 25th in the country.