Paul White - Georgetown transfer -> Oregon

hhcmatt

Does the seven years (or whatever the number is) begin before or after the coach wins National Coach of the Year for taking a low-stars team to the upper-third of the B1G?

Way before he caught lightning in a bottle for a 6 week period.  Oh well...another losing season coming up.

Glad to have you on here; you've been a breath of fresh air. 

Top to bottom, the B1G is the strongest league.  We have to have the talent in order to have a prayer, and Miles obviously knows this.  I think we're a year away from being able to really assess TM as a coach and developer of talent.  

In my mind, the big make-or-break evaluation year would be 2 years from now when Morrow, Jacobson, Watson and McVeigh are seniors with Jordy, Roby, and Horne as a junior.  At that point, we should be able to look at the roster in its entirety to see if the "talent culture" has, indeed, changed for the better from top to bottom.  All signs so far indicate that it will, but it's not certain until a couple more classes have been filled out.  Additionally, we should be able to use last year's freshman class as an accurate barometer of the staff's player development and in-game abilities.  Make the call then.  

Until then, I'm firmly in TM's corner, and I think the work he's done to this point has been brave--to take a couple of risks and work his tail off to get competitive talent through on the floor rather than settle on the "poor me, coach em up" level of talent the last couple of coaches worked with.  There were always going to be hiccups with his revolutionary approach.  

I'm excited to see our team defense this year. 

So we now should be giving a head coach 7 years to prove himself?  Can't say I agree.

How many years would you give him?   Four?  ;)

We will see about Miles in the next couple of years.  I hope we get over the top and he can get these players to gel and play team ball.  That's what happened for 8 weeks a couple years ago.  We had enough talent then to finish fourth in the B1G.  We have more talent now.  Coach Miles just needs to get them to commit to a system and play together.  Our defense has slid and our offense has decayed into individual player isolation plays to score.

We have to stop talking about the B1G likes its some unstoppable force.  It helps us recruit, it helps us with reputation, and it helps pay the bills.  We don't have to win the B1G, just be competitive and we can get into the tourney.  We can win plenty of games in the B1G as long as we have players committed to our system.  We have enough talent to be in the tourney and yes win. 

Its up to coach Miles and his staff now.  I'm happy to wait two more years to get a stable program that's in the tourney most years. 

Of course, if we don't see this, I'm pretty sure the current AD already has some replacements in mind and unfortunately we will have to start again!

We will see about Miles in the next couple of years. I hope we get over the top and he can get these players to gel and play team ball. That's what happened for 8 weeks a couple years ago. We had enough talent then to finish fourth in the B1G. We have more talent now. Coach Miles just needs to get them to commit to a system and play together. Our defense has slid and our offense has decayed into individual player isolation plays to score.

We have to stop talking about the B1G likes its some unstoppable force. It helps us recruit, it helps us with reputation, and it helps pay the bills. We don't have to win the B1G, just be competitive and we can get into the tourney. We can win plenty of games in the B1G as long as we have players committed to our system. We have enough talent to be in the tourney and yes win.

Its up to coach Miles and his staff now. I'm happy to wait two more years to get a stable program that's in the tourney most years.

Of course, if we don't see this, I'm pretty sure the current AD already has some replacements in mind and unfortunately we will have to start again!

Our offense was much more individual iso plays when we made the dance then it was this last year.

Let's say, hypothetically, there is a rationale that we geniuses don't know about for holding back a scholarship.

Let's say, for a hypothetical example, that you give a second-semester scholarship to a walk-on who will, most assuredly, graduate. Perhaps that will shore-up graduation requirements that might be hurt by someone else leaving for no good reason.

This theory is as good as any of the this-is-ridiculous certainty some seem to have.

Since my "theories" are usually wild guesses and rarely accurate, I have to celebrate the exceedingly-rare instance of having one hit the mark. Check today's quote from Robin Washut about the new Nebrasketball walkon:

"From a basketball standpoint, Shultis is really nothing more than a practice body. However, . . . Shultis currently boasts a GPA nearing a perfect 4.0, and if he were to be awarded the open scholarship NU has for this season, it would provide a huge boost to the Huskers' team APR."

Let's say, hypothetically, there is a rationale that we geniuses don't know about for holding back a scholarship.

Let's say, for a hypothetical example, that you give a second-semester scholarship to a walk-on who will, most assuredly, graduate. Perhaps that will shore-up graduation requirements that might be hurt by someone else leaving for no good reason.

This theory is as good as any of the this-is-ridiculous certainty some seem to have.

Since my "theories" are usually wild guesses and rarely accurate, I have to celebrate the exceedingly-rare instance of having one hit the mark. Check today's quote from Robin Washut about the new Nebrasketball walkon:

"From a basketball standpoint, Shultis is really nothing more than a practice body. However, . . . Shultis currently boasts a GPA nearing a perfect 4.0, and if he were to be awarded the open scholarship NU has for this season, it would provide a huge boost to the Huskers' team APR."

Kudos, Swan. I also mentioned something about having "smart" walk-ons who fill in a hole on the roster such that they might aid the team in a number of ways, primarily as practice players. And yet, if they do exceedingly well, they can use the 'open' schollie to help the team APR as well. Great minds think alike~!

I have a hard time imagining Shultis will get the open scholarship considering he is a soph.  Perhaps if he was a senior then maybe it would work out....but I don't think we want him taking up a scholarship for the next three years.  Unless we only plan on having Shultis around for this year?  Either way...it would probably be smart to keep it open in case a midyear transfer becomes available.   

I have a hard time imagining Shultis will get the open scholarship considering he is a soph.  Perhaps if he was a senior then maybe it would work out....but I don't think we want him taking up a scholarship for the next three years.  Unless we only plan on having Shultis around for this year?  Either way...it would probably be smart to keep it open in case a midyear transfer becomes available.   

I don't think we have to award it for a 4 years nor do we have to award it immediately...I think we could award for just the second semester and we've done that before.

The last APR number I saw from us was 975.  Do we really need any boost in this department?

Last but not least, Shultis is the only player on the roster who doesn't have a twitter account but does have a Linkedin account.  #AllBusiness

I don't think we have to award it for a 4 years nor do we have to award it immediately...I think we could award for just the second semester and we've done that before.

The last APR number I saw from us was 975.  Do we really need any boost in this department?

Last but not least, Shultis is the only player on the roster who doesn't have a twitter account but does have a Linkedin account.  #AllBusiness

Maintaining that type of team APR is a chore in itself.

Sometimes they'll give a walk-on a scholly for just one year.  I believe that was the case for Menke.  Had one his sophomore year, but I don't believe he was on scholarship his junior year.