Paul White - Georgetown transfer -> Oregon

hhcmatt

You might remember him as Jahlil Okafor's teammate and one of the guys who was supposed to visit here.

He ended up not making the trip

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/hoops-recruits-feel-the-love-in-lincoln/article_fc712c53-8ed1-55e1-8dbe-07aa3c3f516e.html

Interesting... Illinois AND GTown connect.  Very similar skillset to Roby.  I'm intrigued.  

Hey, I remember reading that article, Dimes (just about the time I started to get interested in MBB, thanks to new HC Miles :)).  A lot of speculation about who we might possibly get from that group (although the visit was in the spring at the beginning of Miles tenure).

People there watched as the 6-foot-9 boys emerged from the van.

"They put two-and-two together, realized they were basketball players and said, ‘Hey, we read about you in the paper,'" Woghiren said.

Too bad no one signed from that group (and PBA was a couple of years shy of being finished).  It would be fitting if we'd wind up with someone from that article (even though they never made the visit).

It would be nice if Miles & Kenya could work some Magic!  ;)

Any chance he would be eligible to play immediately since he redshirted last year?  I assume not but wasn't sure.

Paul White didn't redshirt last year, he was injured.  It's possible he could get a medical redshirt and have 3 years instead of 2 after the redshirt.

Paul>Andrew

Despite my feelings about how AW went about things recently I would disagree with the above. I watched him in HS and felt he was a guy that had talent and size that was able to use Okafor as a nice cover for his game as he wasn't a main focus.

Unlike AW he wasn't sitting behind lottery picks at his previous school. That's not to say I wouldn't be happy to get him I just do not believe if I had the choice between the two that I would go with Paul in any scenario.

It appears White is still not healed from his hip injury and would have to sit out this year anyway. if he had concerns about his playing time, why does he come to Nebraska where he will will have to compete with Roby, McVeigh, Morrow, and Horne (and possibly Jacobson)? If he was a guard, I could understand him wanting to come to Nebraska.

This class needs a big banger inside and a combo guard for next season. A guy with Whites talents would be more valuable in 2018-2019.

It appears White is still not healed from his hip injury and would have to sit out this year anyway. if he had concerns about his playing time, why does he come to Nebraska where he will will have to compete with Roby, McVeigh, Morrow, and Horne (and possibly Jacobson)? If he was a guard, I could understand him wanting to come to Nebraska.

This class needs a big banger inside and a combo guard for next season. A guy with Whites talents would be more valuable in 2018-2019.

Yeah, I don't quite see this one either. White is good, but 4 is the one spot where we're loaded. McVeigh, Morrow, Horne and Jacobson already on the roster. Wouldn't he be a junior in 2017-18, along with Morrow, McVeigh and Jacobson? 

Yeah, I don't quite see this one either. White is good, but 4 is the one spot where we're loaded. McVeigh, Morrow, Horne and Jacobson already on the roster. Wouldn't he be a junior in 2017-18, along with Morrow, McVeigh and Jacobson? 

Maybe he's quite a bit better than those guys, when healthy (i have no idea; I've never seen the guy play).  And I'm not sure that grouping would qualify as "loaded" from other teams' perspectives.   Like "wow, the guys they have at that spot are crazy good, what will we do?"  I mean, I like our guys, and we've upgraded the talent, but we have to keep doing that in this league.  Every year. 

Maybe he's quite a bit better than those guys, when healthy (i have no idea; I've never seen the guy play).  And I'm not sure that grouping would qualify as "loaded" from other teams' perspectives.   Like "wow, the guys they have at that spot are crazy good, what will we do?"  I mean, I like our guys, and we've upgraded the talent, but we have to keep doing that in this league.  Every year.

If he was quite a bit better, White would not be transferring. White is a good match for the Georgetown offense. I see him less as a PF and more as a poor man's Otto Porter (another Georgetown player). Porter parlayed his role at Georgetown into a lottery pick (granted Porter has struggled in his role at times with Washington and may be replaced by Kelly Oubre). That being said, I will defer to TheKamdyMan's analysis of White's talent.

My biggest issue is that we need more depth at G and C than we need anther F. Collecting talent is nice, but bringing a sixth guy to play amongst 2 positions does not make sense. Further that would give us 5 guys in the 2019-2020 senior class.

Maybe he's quite a bit better than those guys, when healthy (i have no idea; I've never seen the guy play). And I'm not sure that grouping would qualify as "loaded" from other teams' perspectives. Like "wow, the guys they have at that spot are crazy good, what will we do?" I mean, I like our guys, and we've upgraded the talent, but we have to keep doing that in this league. Every year.

If he was quite a bit better, White would not be transferring. White is a good match for the Georgetown offense. I see him less as a PF and more as a poor man's Otto Porter (another Georgetown player). Porter parlayed his role at Georgetown into a lottery pick (granted Porter has struggled in his role at times with Washington and may be replaced by Kelly Oubre). That being said, I will defer to TheKamdyMan's analysis of White's talent.

My biggest issue is that we need more depth at G and C than we need anther F. Collecting talent is nice, but bringing a sixth guy to play amongst 2 positions does not make sense. Further that would give us 5 guys in the 2019-2020 senior class.

*6 guys in that class (2018-19) as you are probably forgetting about James Palmer. However, Robin said in his write up that Paul White is a no brainer for a medical hardship so that would put him with Roby, Horne, and Tshimanga if that is true.

Paul>Andrew

Despite my feelings about how AW went about things recently I would disagree with the above. I watched him in HS and felt he was a guy that had talent and size that was able to use Okafor as a nice cover for his game as he wasn't a main focus.

Unlike AW he wasn't sitting behind lottery picks at his previous school. That's not to say I wouldn't be happy to get him I just do not believe if I had the choice between the two that I would go with Paul in any scenario.

I see your point about AW3 having more competition at Kansas but with the lesser competition at G'Town Paul White actually played significant minutes as a freshman, unlike Andrew.

It's sort of weird how two guys with the last same name who might play for us seem to have very similar skillsets, IMO: not overly athletic forwards with good shooting touch. Andrew had the benefit of a redshirt year to refine his strength/game and certainly has proven that he's a high level college player. Paul seems like he can at least be a lite version of this and shooting ability is almost always needed with our team.