2019 JUCO SF Teddy Allen - WNCC - Signed

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Dayum! @basketballjones gonna be excited.

I am.... but with reservations. Haven’t been jacked to see the choices he’s made post-grad. The potential story out of Wichita State is ugly (admittedly the woman’s story has changed, so who knows). I’ve also heard that Huggins can put up with quite a bit and deals with these type of young men a lot, to hear he couldn’t make it work is..... worrisome. 

He can play. And he’s a good kid with a good heart. Rough life and I feel for him. I truly hope he turns it around and I believe he can. But I’m also a teacher of emotional/behavioral disorder kids (I have kids who are Boystown type), and I’ve heard, “I’ve learned my lesson and I’ve changed,” a lot. And, well, you can guess what that batting % is. 

But Teddy owes me or us nothing, and he has nothing to prove to us. Only to himself and the people close to him that care and support him. We’re just dudes on message boards! So I’m hoping for the best, and truly want him to succeed. Hope this turns out to be a perfect fit for him. I enjoy watching him play. Wears his heart on his sleeve - will not be a guy other teams fans enjoy. 

This is a better recruit than any high school player we could get right now, in my opinion. 

As a true freshman he was a rotation player on a team that got 2nd in the big 12, was #2 in the country at one point and went to the sweet 16 before losing to eventual champion Nova (he had 10 points in that game). 

West Virginia fans loved him and thought he would be their leading scorer as a sophomore. The team voted him rookie of the year over Wesley Harris, who started every game.

His body type and skill set appears to fit perfectly with what Hoiberg wants. Georges Niang: 6’7 230#

Melvin Ejim: 6’6 220#
Dustin Hogue: 6’6 220#
All of these guys could play at least 3 positions.

If there weren’t questions about off the court stuff, I think just about any team in the country would gladly take him. I have full confidence that this coaching staff will be great for Teddy on and off the court.

Welcome home, Teddy!

On 12/17/2019 at 6:42 PM, millerhusker said:

His body type and skill set appears to fit perfectly with what Hoiberg wants. Georges Niang: 6’7 230#

Melvin Ejim: 6’6 220#
Dustin Hogue: 6’6 220#
All of these guys could play at least 3 positions.

You know the saying "You are the position you guard"? Well, in the B1G, how do you project him on the defensive end? Can he guard other teams' best perimeter players? Or would he do better on 4s? I haven't seen enough video to tell.

3 hours ago, arliepro said:

You know the saying "You are the position you guard"? Well, in the B1G, how do you project him on the defensive end? Can he guard other teams' best perimeter players? Or would he do better on 4s? I haven't seen enough video to tell.

That’s a good question. At West Virginia, they almost always had Carter and Miles on the court harassing the other team’s guards. And Konate was always protecting the rim. So I’m just guessing that he was required to guard the 3 and 4 spots. I’ve watched one of his juco games on YouTube, and he’s not really required to guard anyone...

• 1 month later...

This should be pinned. Anyway his old coach was on the radio here a couple times this week and it was pretty interesting. Said Teddy has been better at Juco not getting Ts and other issues after they laid down the law. He said Teddy does not really trust a lot of adults so it will be good for him to be close to him and his old Boys Town AD. He said Teddy will listen to them even on hard conversations and he knows it’s his last chance. Similar when he got to Boys Town, not getting a 5th or 6th chance anymore and he was great there.

He also said he completely respects Fred and sees him as someone who can get him to the NBA. Fred said they need wing scorers and that is Teddy. 50-40-90 guys are rare at any level.

i am excited to see him in Red, hopefully he stays out of his own way.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:06 AM, millerhusker said:

That’s a good question. At West Virginia, they almost always had Carter and Miles on the court harassing the other team’s guards. And Konate was always protecting the rim. So I’m just guessing that he was required to guard the 3 and 4 spots. I’ve watched one of his juco games on YouTube, and he’s not really required to guard anyone...

Agree.  That said, I think it’s a given he’ll outscore his matchup basically every night.