2019 JUCO SF Teddy Allen - WNCC - Signed

• 2 weeks later...

Just fyi, this sounds like a good (i.e. encouraging) new article on Teddy Allen in the OWH.  Unfortunately I am not in the area nor a subscriber and cannot access it.  :Redface:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/plus/abuse-and-anger-derailed-teddy-allen-s-life-now-he/article_63ec56dc-258c-5b68-a2f5-77761b5ca3e0.html?utm_source=Omaha World-Herald&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Breaking News

image.png

Very good article - Allen has had a hard road without question, and some of his demons are a result of that. Some, too, are definitely of his own doing.

Like a lot of people with problems like this, it's the downtime that gets them. When they're busy with practice/film/structured activity, it's fine. But how do they fill that downtime? Marijuana and alcohol are not the answer. Hopefully NU's support staff can help here, but he's going to have times where he's on his own. What choices does he make? It seems like he's been doing better with these choices the last few months at WNCC, especially since committing to NU.

I was encouraged by the way the meeting with NU was portrayed - sounded like Coach Hoiberg laid out very clearly what he needs to do to take advantage of this chance. They also asked him to show them he could be a better rebounder and passer over the last couple of months of JuCo, which it appears he has done. It sounds like he's excited to get here, which is also encouraging.

Hopefully being closer to his support in Omaha/Boys Town will help. He's an amazing talent and competitor. He certainly wants to play in the NBA. And I think what his brother is doing is also fueling & motivating him to take advantage of this opportunity.

I don't know if it will work out. He's going to be under tight scrutiny with a very short leash. But I was more encouraged about his chances after reading the article.

Edited by throwback

On 2/22/2020 at 11:10 AM, throwback said:

Very good article - Allen has had a hard road without question, and some of his demons are a result of that. Some, too, are definitely of his own doing.

Like a lot of people with problems like this, it's the downtime that gets them. When they're busy with practice/film/structured activity, it's fine. But how do they fill that downtime? Marijuana and alcohol are not the answer. Hopefully NU's support staff can help here, but he's going to have times where he's on his own. What choices does he make? It seems like he's been doing better with these choices the last few months at WNCC, especially since committing to NU.

I was encouraged by the way the meeting with NU was portrayed - sounded like Coach Hoiberg laid out very clearly what he needs to do to take advantage of this chance. They also asked him to show them he could be a better rebounder and passer over the last couple of months of JuCo, which it appears he has done. It sounds like he's excited to get here, which is also encouraging.

Hopefully being closer to his support in Omaha/Boys Town will help. He's an amazing talent and competitor. He certainly wants to play in the NBA. And I think what his brother is doing is also fueling & motivating him to take advantage of this opportunity.

I don't know if it will work out. He's going to be under tight scrutiny with a very short leash. But I was more encouraged about his chances after reading the article.

Probably the best aspect of Fred being the guy to take someone with Teddy's past in is Fred has dealt with this exact personality before. Royce White at Iowa State came with a ton of baggage and it has been proven that during his time under Fred is probably the most stable he had been. Fred has a plan for these guys when they get on campus and he makes sure that they are taken care of and helped every step of the way. Teddy's best chance of success is at Nebraska under Fred and it's not even close.

I read the article and actually came away less hopeful. Young man has had a tough road and faces many, many more challenges. Fred doesn't have magic dust, Huggins and Marshall also knew there were warning flags and they had programs in place for him as well. So does Fehringer at Western, and there have continued to be bumps. I'm pulling for him to see his way through, more personally than for basketball. I know young people who are struggling with similar problems: mental health issues, substance abuse, children out of wedlock, interaction with the criminal justice system. If basketball coaches had the answer, they'd be in a lot more demand than they are for just coaching. Comparing this situation to Royce White and expecting a similar outcome is nothing more than wishful thinking. We simply don't know. 

And while I absolutely hate football analogies on this board, TO had failures beyond Lawrence Phillips among the players he tried to help. Mental health is sometimes impossibly complex. 

On 2/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

I read the article and actually came away less hopeful. Young man has had a tough road and faces many, many more challenges. Fred doesn't have magic dust, Huggins and Marshall also knew there were warning flags and they had programs in place for him as well. So does Fehringer at Western, and there have continued to be bumps. I'm pulling for him to see his way through, more personally than for basketball. I know young people who are struggling with similar problems: mental health issues, substance abuse, children out of wedlock, interaction with the criminal justice system. If basketball coaches had the answer, they'd be in a lot more demand than they are for just coaching. Comparing this situation to Royce White and expecting a similar outcome is nothing more than wishful thinking. We simply don't know. 

And while I absolutely hate football analogies on this board, TO had failures beyond Lawrence Phillips among the players he tried to help. Mental health is sometimes impossibly complex. 

None of those were less than an hour from Boys Town where he had by far his best years.  Having that community and "family" closer to him will help assist to make his time in Lincoln his best opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

#Huskers commit Teddy Allen is the Region IX South player of the year for WNCC. Averaging a nation-leading 30.7 points to go with 7.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists per game. #Nebrasketball

(no need to cringe royalfan)

And a shitload of made free throws. 

• 2 weeks later...