More bad news!?

So . . . Barfknecht has a new Nebrasketball article (it's linked above).  I scanned the article and read the headlines -- they seem to be pretty spot-on.

But I didn't read much of it.  

Here's why: every time I see someone compare Miles to Sadler and Collier as a genuine (i.e., not a joke) observation, I immediately shut down on the article.  And that's how Barfknecht starts out.

It looks like the article might contain some unique insights and creative observations and energetic analysis.

But when the old-and-tired comparison to former coaches is trotted out as the opening observation of an article, I'm done--not gonna' waste my time.  

Sure, there may be some record similarities among all three:  but did either of the prior coaches even sniff the possibility of national coach of the year, did either have the types of recruiting successes that Miles has seen, did either get to the Tournament, etc.?  Miles is so far ahead of those guys, it's not even close.  

That opening of Barfknecht's article seems . . . well, it seems lazy.  It's neither clever nor insightful nor original--it's the oldest "dig" in the book.   And it seems like pandering to the anti-Husker crowd who always want every Husker coach in every sport fired.     

So . . . Barfknecht has a new Nebrasketball article (it's linked above).  I scanned the article and read the headlines -- they seem to be pretty spot-on.

Here's why: every time I see someone compare Miles to Sadler and Collier as a genuine (i.e., not a joke) observation, I immediately shut down on the article.  And that's how Barfknecht starts out.

It looks like the article might contain some unique insights and creative observations and energetic analysis.

But when the old-and-tired comparison to former coaches is trotted out as the opening observation of an article, I'm done--not gonna' waste my time.  

Sure, there may be some record similarities among all three:  but did either of the prior coaches even sniff the possibility of national coach of the year, did either have the types of recruiting successes that Miles has seen, did either get to the Tournament, etc.?  Miles is so far ahead of those guys, it's not even close.  

That opening of Barfknecht's article seems . . . well, it seems lazy.  It's neither clever nor insightful nor original--it's the oldest "dig" in the book.   And it seems like pandering to the anti-Husker crowd who always want every Husker coach in every sport fired.     

I like Miles and I think everyone here remembers my feelings on Sadler and Collier.   But I don't think it is unfair to compare the three after 4 years.   I think it needs to account for several factors when it's done...but I think the comparison is fair.   Miles has built up a lot of good will with the NCAA run and the increase of talent on paper.  He inherited a mess from Sadler, has attempted to actually play some teams in the non-con, and has been in the Big 10 full time (unlike the others).   But has also had the new arena and practice facility as well.

At some point in time...it does come down to wins and losses.   I don't think we are at that point yet....but it's getting close.   That talent has to translate.

He compared their records...which for Miles, is pretty in line with Doc's and Barry's.  Obviously, some of that is thanks to Doc leaving him a terrible roster.  But what you say is true in terms of recruiting.  It was pretty evident we were heading in the wrong direction under Doc based on his recruiting and Collier we were pretty much at a standstill.  With the bulk of the roster being young we just have to hope they stick together and better days are ahead. 

I like Miles and I think everyone here remembers my feelings on Sadler and Collier.   But I don't think it is unfair to compare the three after 4 years.   I think it needs to account for several factors when it's done...but I think the comparison is fair.   Miles has built up a lot of good will with the NCAA run and the increase of talent on paper.  He inherited a mess from Sadler, has attempted to actually play some teams in the non-con, and has been in the Big 10 full time (unlike the others).   But has also had the new arena and practice facility as well.

At some point in time...it does come down to wins and losses.   I don't think we are at that point yet....but it's getting close.   That talent has to translate.

NUStudent -- great to hear from you again!   Have you been hanging around this board of late?  Don't recall reading many of your posts.

You and I have disagreed a lot over the years -- great to see your posts again!

Doc's recruiting was a disaster.  I give him credit for Shavon and even Benny.  But the other three guys he took in that last class -- the ones who never made it? -- were full of peach schnapps.  Bottom shelf peach schnapps.  Sadly, his momentum had stalled and he wasn't bringing in the kind of players he needed to have in order to compete long term.  I reject, however, the notion that the roster he left behind was "terrible" in the sense that it put Miles at some kind of disadvantage.  Perhaps that first season, but not long term. 

Disinviting those juco players Doc had recruited allowed Miles some roster space to stockpile transfers like Petteway, Pitchford and Biggs.  And, notably, as bad as many people thought David Rivers was, Miles was never able to recruit anyone to take his place in the rotation.  After that first season, IIRC, Rivers was the only Doc holdover unless you count Benny and Shavon who were both recruited by Miles when he was at CSU and re-recruited by Miles when he took the job here.

Some say he inherited a mess from Sadler.  Whatever the mess might have been, it wasn't anything that hamstrung Miles when he took over, unlike the situation Doc walked into when he took over for Collier.

Doc's recruiting was a disaster.  I give him credit for Shavon and even Benny.  But the other three guys he took in that last class -- the ones who never made it? -- were full of peach schnapps.  Bottom shelf peach schnapps.  Sadly, his momentum had stalled and he wasn't bringing in the kind of players he needed to have in order to compete long term.  I reject, however, the notion that the roster he left behind was "terrible" in the sense that it put Miles at some kind of disadvantage.  Perhaps that first season, but not long term. 

Disinviting those juco players Doc had recruited allowed Miles some roster space to stockpile transfers like Petteway, Pitchford and Biggs.  And, notably, as bad as many people thought David Rivers was, Miles was never able to recruit anyone to take his place in the rotation.  After that first season, IIRC, Rivers was the only Doc holdover unless you count Benny and Shavon who were both recruited by Miles when he was at CSU and re-recruited by Miles when he took the job here.

Some say he inherited a mess from Sadler.  Whatever the mess might have been, it wasn't anything that hamstrung Miles when he took over, unlike the situation Doc walked into when he took over for Collier.

Considering he had what....7-8 scholarship guys his first year...and two of them were true frosh (one of which missed most of the non-con) and another was coming off a redshirt after unproductive freshmen and sophomore seasons...I think it's fair to acknowledge that's less than ideal.   Talley was solid.  Ubel had a solid senior season.  Gallegos developed.   But that team was pretty thin.   Winning 15 games and staying competitive that year may have been as big an accomplishment as the NCAA the next.

Also think that the shape of the roster he inherited had an impact on how he was going to build the roster over the first several years here.   Had he had more talent in the ranks, he may not have taken a chance on so many transfers early on.

I still find Miles culpable in the White decision. Doesn't mean I didnt renew my season tickets. Ultimately, I want the team to be successful. Id be more than happy being wrong if it meant the team was good.

Is it because you think Miles should have acquiesced to White's demands that he enhance White's role in the offense?  And, since Miles didn't do that and White left, you find Miles to be at fault?

I shouldn't have said Miles is living on transfers, but when your best player on the team each year is a different guy for the most part that's not exactly creating a cohesive team. It is the reality of college hoops these days though. And it's kind of what he's had to do.

Gill is not a great shooter from all I've heard but we will see. Not sure I can EVER see Morrow being featured. He is not polished offensively. He seems to be a good 4th or 5th option on a team ... a role player rebounder, hustler, etc. Not really a consistent offensive threat, but again we haven't seen a ton of him.

I'm not very convinced Miles can coach offense but I'm intrigued with the new assistant coach as I think he was hired to shore this up. I'm also not sure that Miles has the respect of his team completely, but I have no reason to really say that more a feeling. He going to have to show he's more substance than show as a coach.

There have been rumors of personal issues with Miles in the past ... mix that with the consistent loss of assistants and one decent year (that was really a hot 5 week run) despite much improved recruiting and I think 2 years max is what he has to work with overall.

I hope your wrong on Gill given this is the first time I have heard he is not a good shooter.  That said I really try not to by into the hype of preseason and coach speak.  

He's not a great shooter, but he'll probably prove dangerous enough to keep teams honest. He's not a sharp-shooter, though. He is a talented scorer and should find ways to fill up a score card. I think he'll be a much better finisher at the rim than White was last year.

I shouldn't have said Miles is living on transfers, but when your best player on the team each year is a different guy for the most part that's not exactly creating a cohesive team. It is the reality of college hoops these days though. And it's kind of what he's had to do.

Gill is not a great shooter from all I've heard but we will see. Not sure I can EVER see Morrow being featured. He is not polished offensively. He seems to be a good 4th or 5th option on a team ... a role player rebounder, hustler, etc. Not really a consistent offensive threat, but again we haven't seen a ton of him.

I'm not very convinced Miles can coach offense but I'm intrigued with the new assistant coach as I think he was hired to shore this up. I'm also not sure that Miles has the respect of his team completely, but I have no reason to really say that more a feeling. He going to have to show he's more substance than show as a coach.

There have been rumors of personal issues with Miles in the past ... mix that with the consistent loss of assistants and one decent year (that was really a hot 5 week run) despite much improved recruiting and I think 2 years max is what he has to work with overall.

I hope your wrong on Gill given this is the first time I have heard he is not a good shooter.  That said I really try not to by into the hype of preseason and coach speak.  

He's not a great shooter, but he'll probably prove dangerous enough to keep teams honest. He's not a sharp-shooter, though. He is a talented scorer and should find ways to fill up a score card. I think he'll be a much better finisher at the rim than White was last year.

I'd suggest people go back to the thread on the Spain trip and read what people were saying about White.  He was surprisingly bad on the drive.  And his shooting was nothing to write home about either.  Just for some perspective.

I'd suggest people go back to the thread on the Spain trip and read what people were saying about White.  He was surprisingly bad on the drive.  And his shooting was nothing to write home about either.  Just for some perspective.

I remember that. I just remember a lot of ball handling mistakes and some mind numbing misses at the rim throughout the season last year. Those add up in close games.

AWIII was what he was... so much for that, he is gone. I'm sure the coaches could have given him some good moments just like they did last year. He may find a coaching staff more pliable to his desires elsewhere, but I really doubt it will be Izzo. Meanwhile Gill is a total cipher as far as I am concerned, so I prefer to trust the coaches to employ his strengths to make him the scorer we need next year to make up for AWIII.

AWIII was what he was... so much for that, he is gone. I'm sure the coaches could have given him some good moments just like they did last year. He may find a coaching staff more pliable to his desires elsewhere, but I really doubt it will be Izzo. Meanwhile Gill is a total cipher as far as I am concerned, so I prefer to trust the coaches to employ his strengths to make him the scorer we need next year to make up for AWIII.

Gill is #1, a lefty, and a shooter-scorer. What basic info is there left to decipher, jimmykc? ;)

I think Gill will be a playmaker-scorer much like Petteway.  He'll be able to get to the rack and finish but he'll also be a credible threat from beyond the arc.  Remember, Petteway was only about a 32% 3-point shooter while he was here.  That's well within Gill's reach.  I suspect, when all is said and done, though, Gill will be better than that.

I think right now Gill is our best option catching and shooting coming off screens.  He's the most willing to take a shot when there's defenders in his zip code and he has the ability to create space to get the shot off by getting really good elevation on his jumper.  The problem is I think he'll have the ball in his hands a lot and he's not going to be that guy who is spotting up in the corner or curling around a screen, because I think he'll have the ball in his hands.

So, Tai is going to need to step up and take some open shots that he might have passed up in prior seasons.  And Jack McVeigh is going to need to develop the ability to curl around a screen and catch and shoot.  I think he's the odds-on favorite to be the best 3-point shooter on the team this coming season.  I think he could put up Andrew White percentages.  I think he can do more than Andrew with the ball in his hand, but Andrew was also a solid rebounder on the defensive end.

Be interesting to see.

I have always thought a great offense involved a team approach to scoring.  If the offense breaks down though, you need a player to break his defender down and score.  TP would tend to give up on the offense (or perhaps the offense gave up) and attempt to go one-on-one more often than necessary.  I thought Shavon had a much better feel for the timing.  At the end of the year, Tai was similar to Shavon.

Honestly, AWIII could shoot, but did not have the ability to break down his defender...at all.  Shavon struggled in finishing the play.  The effort was there, but finishing around the rim proved to be a struggle.  Tai actually did a good job, and much better at years end.

That brings us to this coming season.  If Jack, MJ, Tai, Glynn, Gill and others can have a steady mid-range and 3-point year; our offense should be fine.  But what happens when that offense breaks down.  I am fully confident that Glynn can get it done, as can Tai and I am going to assume that Gill can as well.

All said, I am confident that we will be fine offensively.  Defensively, neither AWIII or Shavon were top notch defenders.  Shavon got by because he had a high basketball IQ.  AWIII was more of a liability than an asset on the defensive end.  I have no clue how good of a defender Gill is, and Glynn was out of position quite often last year.  And Jack, well he certainly was deficient more often than efficient last year.  So we need to count on Jordy to be an eraser when he is in the game.  If he does play a lot, and he truly does protect the paint, then our defense may actually be improved over this past year.

Rebounding is an area of concern.  Then again, perhaps not.  AWIII and Shavon were both good rebounders.  But Jordy is supposedly da man when it comes to rebounding.  And MJ, Tai, and especially Ed are all good rebounders.

Sooo, I am building my optimism for this upcoming year.  If we can stay healthy, I can see 17 to 20 wins as a distinct possibility. 

Some of the points CWG mentioned is why I am still optimistic for this year.   I'd feel better if White was still here....but I still think we can be competitive. 

Mostly because we now have a complete lineup.   Miles has even spoke about it in the past, about having empty minutes.   In the past, we had times where we would have 1,2 or even 3 guys on the floor who were simply no threat to score.   Teams left Parker practically unguarded at times and we couldn't make them pay for it.   We'll, for the first time, be putting a lineup on the floor where all 5 guys have the ability to produce.   We may not have the definitive go to guy to show for it right now...but we'll have 5 guys instead of 3 that can do something.   That takes a lot of pressure off.

Some of the points CWG mentioned is why I am still optimistic for this year.   I'd feel better if White was still here....but I still think we can be competitive. 

Mostly because we now have a complete lineup.   Miles has even spoke about it in the past, about having empty minutes.   In the past, we had times where we would have 1,2 or even 3 guys on the floor who were simply no threat to score.   Teams left Parker practically unguarded at times and we couldn't make them pay for it.   We'll, for the first time, be putting a lineup on the floor where all 5 guys have the ability to produce.   We may not have the definitive go to guy to show for it right now...but we'll have 5 guys instead of 3 that can do something.   That takes a lot of pressure off.

I've mentioned this before quite a few times: This season will be the most complete team of the Miles era, even without AW-III. That is a welcome sight. The Big Ten will eat you alive if you have dead-weight on the floor, and now that issue seems to be behind Miles & Co.

H4tS, tell me the last time the Huskers had the same best player more than 2 years in a row.

Seems to me, having a new best player every year is more the nature of things.

Last year, our best player was a senior.  This year, it's going to have to be someone else because Shields graduated.

This year, our best player might very well be a senior again; same thing the year after that and the year after that.

Has nothing to do with transfers and everything to do with the fact that college players get better as they get older and more experienced.

Also, Petteway, a transfer, argues against your assertion that having transfers means we have a different best player every year.

I suppose my point is more along the line of that best player being a transfer who in general didn't play the year prior. AWIII was probably the best player last year in a tie with Shields overall. Yes, I understand no one has the best player return year after year after year, but what I am saying is that it might not be the best long term plan for your best player to be practically new to the program each year. Yes, I understand this is more the nature of college basketball today.

Local radio show podcasts I listen to make him sound like less of a shooter and more of a driving to the hoop guy/doing things off the dribble and getting to the hoop. Not saying he's an awful shooter but just that he's not a great shooter and that it's not really his game.

H4tS, tell me the last time the Huskers had the same best player more than 2 years in a row.

Seems to me, having a new best player every year is more the nature of things.

Last year, our best player was a senior. This year, it's going to have to be someone else because Shields graduated.

This year, our best player might very well be a senior again; same thing the year after that and the year after that.

Has nothing to do with transfers and everything to do with the fact that college players get better as they get older and more experienced.

Also, Petteway, a transfer, argues against your assertion that having transfers means we have a different best player every year.

I suppose my point is more along the line of that best player being a transfer who in general didn't play the year prior. AWIII was probably the best player last year in a tie with Shields overall. Yes, I understand no one has the best player return year after year after year, but what I am saying is that it might not be the best long term plan for your best player to be practically new to the program each year. Yes, I understand this is more the nature of college basketball today.

I will tell the Dukes, Kentucky, etc that a new best player every year is totally over rated and should stop recruiting over the current players on their roster.

Like you said that's just how college basketball is and is actually way more common, especially at the the BCS type schools, than it is to have multi year best players. It's just the nature of the beast and something we have to accept.