Interesting Observation

doc1394

When Benny came out of the game in the first half after missing two shots, and not even taking wide open shots, he looked completely dejected on the bench.  Terran Petteway walked over to him, sat down by him for a couple minutes, patted him on the back, and looked like he was really being a leader for a guy that was struggling.  I thought it was really cool and unselfish of a guy who can't play  to go out of his way to help console a teammate. Petteway seems like a leader to me, and I'm looking forward to seeing him out on the court with the team in the coming years. 

Could anyone at the game tell if Parker is still injured? He seemed like he was going to be a decent player at the beginning of the year, but that was also against lesser competition. I recall him having a few 7 point 5 assist 3 rebound 1 turnover performances earlier in the season, which wasn't bad for a freshman. Tyrance is apparently a better option now though.

I thought he came in and did a good job of on-ball defense.  We were having some struggles letting them get penetration and then dishing to their big guy and I thought Benny did a good job coming in off the bench and staying in his guy's face.  Not sure I remember him coming out or what might have preceded it.  He missed an open jumper and then they got back and scored a layup in transition if I remember right.  Benny's a good kid.  Needs to keep his head up.  He was right to take the shot.  He's just got to groove his stroke so that he hits that shot.

Not sure Parker has those point guard instincts though, and that isn't usually something you can just pick up. Parker was a great scorer in high school, but I think a lot of those points came off of lay-ups. I don't think he is able to get to the basket like he was in high school, and he is an average shooter at best.

Parker's injury is not the issue - he is just playing with no confidence right now.  When he came in Purdue just completely refused to guard him at all.   After hesitating he took a couple shots but you could almost see him forcing himself to shoot and he missed badly.  We are limited enough offensively without having to play 4 on 5. 

That said we need Benny to find a way to regain some confidence.  Talley really struggled tonight trying to handle the ball and also find shots.   Our offense runs much more smoothly with Benny in the game - IF he at least forces the other team to pay some semblance of attention to him.

It is odd because from watching his HS film my concern was that Benny would come in and try to do too much offensively and not distribute the ball enough.   Could not have been more wrong about that - but again I think it is really just in his head. 

Not sure Parker has those point guard instincts though, and that isn't usually something you can just pick up. Parker was a great scorer in high school, but I think most of those points came off of lay-ups. I don't think he is able to get to the basket like he was in high school, and he is an average shooter at best.

Admittedly he has not shown it at NU - but the film I saw of him in HS showed him taking - and making alot of jump shots.  I think he can be a decent shooter if he has confidence.  His form is not bad at all.