2017 PG Lavar Batts, Jr. - VCU

• 2 weeks later...

Also, one of the reasons his shot is a little janky is probably because he's truly ambidextrous.  That's an enormous silver lining.  It's super hard to guard a guy who's jumper is right handed but prefers to drive/finish/dunk with his left.  Absolutely elite D1 athleticism to boot.  What a great find to get in early on this guy.  

It'd be nice if the coaching staff could lock up Kezo Brown for '18 now, since it looks like we've whiffed on our '17 priorities at PG.  Not surprised by the lack of success recruiting the position, though.  Any true PG can look at our roster and see that Watson still has 3 years of eligibility left.  If Miles is really commited to bringing in a PG this class, he may need to go the combo guard route instead.

We missed the cut. He's down to VCU and Clemson.

And another one bites the dust.  Not going to panic yet but it doesn't appear we are getting much interest from prospects around the country. 

This is probably just poor wording on your part but the reason you're posting here is because this prospect expressed interest in our program and we didn't land him.

As we only sent out one subtweet like above it seems to me that we knew that Batts was nailing things down soon (which also indicates his interest level in us)

At the end of the day I see I guy from the East Coast picking between 2 East Coast schools. I hope overall we didn't invest too much time to figure that out.

We missed the cut. He's down to VCU and Clemson.

And another one bites the dust.  Not going to panic yet but it doesn't appear we are getting much interest from prospects around the country. 

This is probably just poor wording on your part but the reason you're posting here is because this prospect expressed interest in our program and we didn't land him.

As we only sent out one subtweet like above it seems to me that we knew that Batts was nailing things down soon (which also indicates his interest level in us)

At the end of the day I see I guy from the East Coast picking between 2 East Coast schools. I hope overall we didn't invest too much time to figure that out.

I should have added "highly" rated prospects.  According to 247 we have offered 27 high school prospects for this class....we have one commitment from that group and 14 others have either committed elsewhere or are no longer considering us.  We have Parker Stewart maybe coming in for a visit next month, Nana Ankenton has already visited, as did Jericho Sims.  Although, some think Sims is destined for Texas.    I guess if we want to be we can be pretty selective considering we only have 1 scholarship available for next year...although, I'm sure 1 or 2 more may become available.  Hopefully we can get a few more visits lined up before the signing period.   

Slow your roll there huskerbaseball13.  Miles and staff have done an amazing job of recruiting and bringing in 4 star talent to a program with virtually no history and never won an NCAA tournament game.  That is not easy to do.  You get all judgmental when a player goes somewhere else.  That doesn't mean the sky is falling as you can't land every player you are recruiting.  That are only 13 spots so it's impossible to sign every player you try and recruit.  Yes, he would have been a nice pickup for the program but that doesn't mean we won't sign a different top 150 player.  You can't honestly look at current rooster and not be impressed with the level of talent we have gotten compared to what we used to get.

Slow your roll there huskerbaseball13.  Miles and staff have done an amazing job of recruiting and bringing in 4 star talent to a program with virtually no history and never won an NCAA tournament game.  That is not easy to do.  You get all judgmental when a player goes somewhere else.  That doesn't mean the sky is falling as you can't land every player you are recruiting.  That are only 13 spots so it's impossible to sign every player you try and recruit.  Yes, he would have been a nice pickup for the program but that doesn't mean we won't sign a different top 150 player.  You can't honestly look at current rooster and not be impressed with the level of talent we have gotten compared to what we used to get.

Nowhere in my post did I mention previous classes or the current talent on the roster.  I was strictly talking about the prospects we are in on for this years recruiting class.  Maybe its not fair to expect to land top 100/150 talent each year at this program...I don't know.  But my concern is that recruits have taken notice of our recent struggles and we aren't getting as many to bite as we have in years past.   

recent struggles???

It's been nearly 20 years since our program has been even marginally relevant nationally.  The recruiting job coach Miles has done in the last two or so years is nothing short of miraculous considering where the program is coming from.

Hell, at least he's whiffing on top 150 kids...Doc didn't even TRY to go after those guys!

recent struggles???

It's been nearly 20 years since our program has been even marginally relevant nationally.  The recruiting job coach Miles has done in the last two or so years is nothing short of miraculous considering where the program is coming from.

Hell, at least he's whiffing on top 150 kids...Doc didn't even TRY to go after those guys!

Miles hates it when people bring up Nebraska’s lackluster history in basketball.

“You save that baggage for you,” Miles said. “Don’t put that crap on me, all right? This is my program and we don’t carry any baggage. Everywhere we’ve been, we’ve been surrounded by great people and we win. And we’re gonna keep doing it.

“So all of that curse crap, all of the hexing and vexing, all of that bulls--t that goes with it is exactly that. And you can print it.”

Again, nowhere in my previous message did I bag on any past classes.  In fact, outside of leaving a scholarship open...every...single...year this staff has done a pretty damn good job in the recruiting department.  Probably as good as we could ask for.  I was strictly talking about this years class and what's currently on the board.  Like I said...it's nice we can be so selective because we only have 1 ship available for next year...but also concerning that we don't seem to be gaining much attention from some of the guys we have offered.  We have Parker Stewart coming in on a visit...hopefully we can land him.  Unfortunately, I don't think we are getting Jericho Sims despite the effort we have put in.  Would love to be wrong though. 

If you want to look at it this way, we are up against some pretty tough competition, especially for a recruit who probably wouldn't even be interested in us if it weren't for Michael Lewis being hired.

I'm just glad we 'got a look,' (and Made the first cut ;)).   And Blessed for each top recruit we do sign!  :)

recent struggles???

Miles hates it when people bring up Nebraska’s lackluster history in basketball.

“You save that baggage for you,” Miles said. “Don’t put that crap on me, all right? This is my program and we don’t carry any baggage. Everywhere we’ve been, we’ve been surrounded by great people and we win. And we’re gonna keep doing it.

“So all of that curse crap, all of the hexing and vexing, all of that bulls--t that goes with it is exactly that. And you can print it.”

Again, nowhere in my previous message did I bag on any past classes.  In fact, outside of leaving a scholarship open...every...single...year this staff has done a pretty damn good job in the recruiting department.  Probably as good as we could ask for.  I was strictly talking about this years class and what's currently on the board.  Like I said...it's nice we can be so selective because we only have 1 ship available for next year...but also concerning that we don't seem to be gaining much attention from some of the guys we have offered.  We have Parker Stewart coming in on a visit...hopefully we can land him.  Unfortunately, I don't think we are getting Jericho Sims despite the effort we have put in.  Would love to be wrong though. 

I guess the part where you said "not going to panic yet" is what's bothering people, as if reaching "panic" level is imminent.

We're actually probably set for a while (barring a rash of transfers out of the program) with the roster we have.

"Panic" is quite a long ways off, IMO, and it seems like a bit of unnecessary hyperbole.  That's all I'm saying.  Don't take it personal.