01/16/2013 - Purdue Report Card

hhcdave

Way too early to write Purdue off. They get to 9-9 in Big 10 play with two wins in the Big 10 tournament, they're in, because of the conference and because of their name. Book it.

I guess I disagree.

If they go 9-9 in conference, plus 6-6 in noncon, that puts them at 15-15.  Add in a tourney record of 2-1 and they are now at 17-16.  I don't think that gets it done as their noncon record is just too weak.

EDIT - just checked their schedule and they have one remaining noncon game?  Apparently against 8-8 West Virginia.  Win that one too and they are 18-16.  I just don't see that being enough.

I suppose they could get hot and still play their way in, but they are going to need to be a lot better than 9-9 in conference.

OVERALL GRADE: C

Nebraska played about how it should at home with six scholarship players against a team that's made six straight NCAA Tournaments and most likely, will make it seven.

Wait.

Do you really think Purdue will make the NCAA tournament this year? 

They're 9-8 overall, with an RPI of 119, and a 63 SOS.  They were 6-6 in the noncon, with the best noncon win coming against a team with an RPI of 146.  In combined road/neutral games, they are 2-5.   I realize they have a home win against Illinois but that win is offset with a really bad loss against RPI 226 Eastern Washington.

They would seemingly have to go on a mega, mega run in conference to even make the bubble it would seem.

Purdue would be in second place in  the Mo Valley

That seems rather unlikely.  Creighton and Wichita State are locks for the NCAA tournament right now and combined lost a total of two nonconference games while Purdue lost 6, some of which were to really bad teams.

Either way, your response seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of whether or not Purdue will go to the NCAA tourney.

And you muddling up the damn thread with your trolling and discusssion about shitty Mo Valley ball in relation to Big 10 ball, has even less to do with the discussion of the game report card. 

OVERALL GRADE: C

Nebraska played about how it should at home with six scholarship players against a team that's made six straight NCAA Tournaments and most likely, will make it seven.

Wait.

Do you really think Purdue will make the NCAA tournament this year? 

They're 9-8 overall, with an RPI of 119, and a 63 SOS.  They were 6-6 in the noncon, with the best noncon win coming against a team with an RPI of 146.  In combined road/neutral games, they are 2-5.   I realize they have a home win against Illinois but that win is offset with a really bad loss against RPI 226 Eastern Washington.

They would seemingly have to go on a mega, mega run in conference to even make the bubble it would seem.

Purdue would be in second place in  the Mo Valley

That seems rather unlikely.  Creighton and Wichita State are locks for the NCAA tournament right now and combined lost a total of two nonconference games while Purdue lost 6, some of which were to really bad teams.

Either way, your response seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of whether or not Purdue will go to the NCAA tourney.

And you muddling up the damn thread with your trolling and discusssion about shitty Mo Valley ball in relation to Big 10 ball, has even less to do with the discussion of the game report card. 

I didn't bring up MVC basketball, HB did.

Don't worry, I'm done with this discussion.  Too much hostility and insecurity by some people to have a perfectly reasonable discussion about teams NCAA tourney chances.  It seems like this sort of discussion is a natural on college basketball messgae boards, but for some reason it just isn't here. 

I think Creighton Fan has a valid point, actually.  Purdue is a young team and has had some pretty troubling losses this season.  They do own a reasonably impressive win at home versus Illinois (a game in which DJ Byrd basically loaded the team on his back and carried them to the win at the end), but that's basically it.  Next best win was at Clemson.  Or Nebraska, the two are pretty close.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Purdue.html

They've built their current 9-8 record by playing, basically, a Doc Sadler non-con, which is to say more +200 and +300 RPI teams than should be allowed, of which, one of those games they lost.  To add insult to injury, Purdue lost every non-con game they played against top-100 competition.

That's not to say that they WON'T make the dance, but without a significant improvement in their performance, I don't see how they can make it there.  If you examine their remaining schedule, it is as difficult as the first half of their season was easy.  I think they could get in position for an at-large spot, but it'll take better than going 6-7 in their remaining B1G games to get there.

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.   :)

I think Creighton Fan has a valid point, actually.  Purdue is a young team and has had some pretty troubling losses this season.  They do own a reasonably impressive win at home versus Illinois (a game in which DJ Byrd basically loaded the team on his back and carried them to the win at the end), but that's basically it.  Next best win was at Clemson.  Or Nebraska, the two are pretty close.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Purdue.html

They've built their current 9-8 record by playing, basically, a Doc Sadler non-con, which is to say more +200 and +300 RPI teams than should be allowed, of which, one of those games they lost.  To add insult to injury, Purdue lost every non-con game they played against top-100 competition.

That's not to say that they WON'T make the dance, but without a significant improvement in their performance, I don't see how they can make it there.  If you examine their remaining schedule, it is as difficult as the first half of their season was easy.  I think they could get in position for an at-large spot, but it'll take better than going 6-7 in their remaining B1G games to get there.

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.   :)

hey, I found this persuasive....:) nice work!

Purdue would have to get a few wins against the top 4 of the league (Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio St) and for sure go 11-7, odds at about 10% for all of that to happen, plus the committee punishes you big time for weak non-conference schedules, so they have that going against them as well when they're going up against other bubble teams

Nice to see that there are actually a few rational thinkers here that can discuss a legitimate college basketball topic without going nutso or completely losing their minds.

Certain others could use a prescription for Xanax or a good anger management counselor.  When you go in full on attack mode before even reading the post you are replying to, you really need to learn to lighten up and relax.

Nice to see that there are actually a few rational thinkers here that can discuss a legitimate college basketball topic without going nutso or completely losing their minds.

Certain others could use a prescription for Xanax or a good anger management counselor.  When you go in full on attack mode before even reading the post you are replying to, you really need to learn to lighten up and relax.

Irrational Husker fan >>> Rational Non-Husker fan on this board, especially in the HUSKER section.

We've already played this season.  We won't play again for another 11 months.

Your team is on a DREAM season and yet you're here bickering with "anger management" candidates.

Who exactly has the problem here?

Guess what C fan I'm on Prozac now so that I can make it through a day with any more Anxiety attackes each day.

I'm also on Gleevec for my gist tumors that are a form of cancer.  I will be on them the rest of my life.

So yeah I do have some problems in my life BUT having some little shit-ass from a stuck up piece of crap school telling me to go to anger management isn't one of them.

Maybe next time you need to know who your trying to be cute with before you stick that head so far up your backside.

Now go over to your own little CAFE where there is like 20 of your to hump each other while you watch little Dougie and the rest of the of the blue jays.

Here's the problem Creighton Fan.  I consider this board family.  We all have a shared love for Nebraska basketball.  It doesn't matter that the Huskers have disappointed me for more than 40 years.  I still love the team, as does every other Husker fan on this board.  We welcome other posters to join us.  The more the merrier.

But then, there are always jackasses that come around.  People like you, who weren't invited into our house, come crashing through the front door and demand to be treated with respect.  Excuse me?  If you want respect, don't be an asshole.  (Sorry mods, for the language, but if the shoe fits...)

Go enjoy your season.

Here's the problem Creighton Fan.  I consider this board family.  We all have a shared love for Nebraska basketball.  It doesn't matter that the Huskers have disappointed me for more than 40 years.  I still love the team, as does every other Husker fan on this board.  We welcome other posters to join us.  The more the merrier.

But then, there are always jackasses that come around.  People like you, who weren't invited into our house, come crashing through the front door and demand to be treated with respect.  Excuse me?  If you want respect, don't be an asshole.  (Sorry mods, for the language, but if the shoe fits...)

Go enjoy your season.

What did I do to be an asshole?  Go back and reread the thread.

I brought up what I thought was a very reasonable question about Purdue making the dance.  No snide or disrespectful comments about Nebraska, Purdue, the Big 10 or anybody else.  How is that being an asshole?  Instead, a couple of people freaked out simply because I am a Creighton fan. 

Go back and reread my entire posting history.  I've never been anything but respectful.  Even after Creighton beat Nebraska, I was nothing but respectful.  I don't understand your comment at all.

Go enjoy your season.

What did I do to be an asshole?  Go back and reread the thread.

I brought up what I thought was a very reasonable question about Purdue making the dance.  No snide or disrespectful comments about Nebraska, Purdue, the Big 10 or anybody else.  How is that being an asshole?  Instead, a couple of people freaked out simply because I am a Creighton fan. 

Go back and reread my entire posting history.  I've never been anything but respectful.  Even after Creighton beat Nebraska, I was nothing but respectful.  I don't understand your comment at all.

I don't have an issue with you as much as others (really, at all, since I only object to other schools fans in game threads), but this is a gameday, so if you would be kind enough to not make yourself the topic of the day, I'd appreciate it. Maybe we can revisit this tomorrow or something. thanks.

CF, you are correct; your initial post was fine.  It was more of a timing thing--right after a tough home loss you want to debate whether the team that beat us is very good or NCAA bound, and argue the point with our site founder.   So I reacted a bit.  But to say it was "freaking out"  is a bit over the top, even "rereading the thread".  Anytime Creighton Fan wants to talk about the strength of Big 10 teams it may trigger a Mo Valley response on here.  Just the way it is.  Much a do about not much.  I would just pick your spots a little better, and the timing of them, when you're on a forum other than "College Basketball", or understand you may not get perfectly appropriate engagement in return.  But I will vouch for your respectfullness while you have posted on this board.  You're no Double Jay Alum, or even Tony.  Peace out, and Go Shockers!  ;)

I think this is what you're looking for http://board.huskerhoopscentral.com/forum/8-college-basketball/

How about the flippant comments about getting on drugs or going to anger management?

What does that have anything to do with what we were talking about?

And the definition of flippant is :

flip·pant [flip-uh nt] Show IPA

adjective

frivolously disrespectful, shallow, or lacking in seriousness; characterized by levity: The audience was shocked by his flippant remarks about patriotism.

So I think I use the word correctly.  Want to make sure it is correct since I didn't get to go to such a fine institution as you did.

Although my University does have two final four finishes.  So I guess I'm ahead of your sweet 16 finish.