01/16/2013 - Purdue Report Card

hhcdave

OFFENSE: C

Let's be honest - Nebraska scoring 56 in the Big 10 is pretty good for this year's bunch.

However, I can't go above an "average" grade on this because NU was pretty bad in the first half, shooting just 26% with 19 points.

At the start, things looked promising, with Andre Almeida scoring four quick points.

However, as the half drug on, and Dylan Talley/Ray Gallegos were non factors, along with Almeida disappearing, things went downhill.

Luckily, NU shot 40% and scored 37 points in the second half, which would earn them an "A-", so we split it and give them a "C."

Good grief, how good were Shavon Shields (18 points, 8 rebounds in 37 minutes) and Jordan Tyrance (10 points, 7 rebounds in 21 minutes) tonight? They are "Co-Players of the Game," simply because Tyrance deserves this and I highly doubt, the rest of his NU career, he gets mentioned for the award again. Had to give it to him once.

DEFENSE: C-

As Coach Miles tweeted at halftime, "this is the worst defensive performance in a long time."

And he was right - NU was awful in the first half, allowing Purdue to get whatever shot it wanted.

Much like offensively, NU stepped it up in the second half, or at least the last 15 minutes of the game, thanks to a nice move to the 2-3 zone, which I thought was employed a bit late. I had actually been wondering if they'd use it at halftime.

However, it worked, and outside of NU not being able to check D.J. Byrd at the three point line, I was impressed with how the Huskers played defense in the second half.

REBOUNDING: C

The numbers aren't that bad, with NU and Purdue both grabbing 14 boards (though Purdue 11 more total rebounds because of NU misses).

This shocked me, because coming into this report card, I was sure I was going to give NU an "F" for their rebounding. Somehow, it seemed a lot worse than it actually was. Probably, that's because NU was down and trying to come back, and they'd get a defensive stop, only to give up points because of lack of rebounding.

Obviously, this is a byproduct of size, but again, it makes you wonder why Tyrance is essentially one of your 3/4's with Almeida only playing 19 minutes and our favorite freshman big man still hiding in witness protection.

BALL HANDLING: A+

Only two turnovers? I wonder the last time NU had only two turnovers for a game. Can anyone find out?

That went along with seven assists and NU did this with Benny Parker only playing 7 minutes the entire game, including ZERO in the second half.

COACHING: B

Nebraska looked either uninterested, flat or tired in the first half. I'll say "flat" and "tired" more than uninterested.

They seemed to get a spark and more energy in the second, which I credit Miles and the crowd for helping with, but it concerns me the way they started.

Honestly though, I think its fatigue more than anything.

Also, as mentioned above, I thought the 2-3 zone was a GREAT call, but wish they would have tried it a bit earlier.

OVERALL GRADE: C

Nebraska played about how it should at home with six scholarship players against a team that's made six straight NCAA Tournaments and most likely, will make it seven.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: SHAVON SHIELDS & JORDAN TYRANCE

2012-2013 PLAYER OF THE GAME RESULTS:

RAY GALLEGOS - 8

DYLAN TALLEY - 3

BRANDON UBEL - 3

DAVID RIVERS - 2

SHAVON SHIELDS - 2

JORDAN TYRANCE - 1

This post has been promoted to an article

Only two turnovers? I wonder the last time NU had only two turnovers for a game. Can anyone find out?

That went along with seven assists and NU did this with Benny Parker only playing 7 minutes the entire game, including ZERO in the second half.

Never.  It was a Husker record.

Agree about the co-players of the game.  Was thinking the same thing myself

Tyrance has 10 points and we have 2 turnovers as a team. How is it possible NU lost to an average Purdue team by 9 at home given those facts?

Still at least 14 games left this season. Can things get worse?

Tyrance has 10 points and we have 2 turnovers as a team. How is it possible NU lost to an average Purdue team by 9 at home given those facts?

might want to avoid that indiana game at assembly hall coming up

Perhaps it was because for most of the game we were missing so many open looks...  I think I looked up at the board at one point and we were shooting something like 26% and Purdue was at about 50%.  You can't score points if you don't make that round ball go into that round hole.  I swear we were trying to fit a square peg into that round hole most of the night.

By they way, I was amazed at a couple of the shots and good bounces that Purdue got last night.  I guess that is the story of the little things that do not seem to be working out for us...

Perhaps it was because for most of the game we were missing so many open looks...  I think I looked up at the board at one point and we were shooting something like 26% and Purdue was at about 50%.  You can't score points if you don't make that round ball go into that round hole.  I swear we were trying to fit a square peg into that round hole most of the night.

By they way, I was amazed at a couple of the shots and good bounces that Purdue got last night.  I guess that is the story of the little things that do not seem to be working out for us...

We got down to 23% early in the second half.

Nebraska played about how it should at home with six scholarship players against a team that's made six straight NCAA Tournaments and most likely, will make it seven.

Wait.

Do you really think Purdue will make the NCAA tournament this year? 

They're 9-8 overall, with an RPI of 119, and a 63 SOS.  They were 6-6 in the noncon, with the best noncon win coming against a team with an RPI of 146.  In combined road/neutral games, they are 2-5.   I realize they have a home win against Illinois but that win is offset with a really bad loss against RPI 226 Eastern Washington.

They would seemingly have to go on a mega, mega run in conference to even make the bubble it would seem.

I assumed he meant "make the post-season."  But Purdue has some work to do to get even that far.  They're only at .500 right now and no more non-conference patsies to pad the W/L record.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have to go at least .500 from here on out in order to even be eligible for post season of any sort?  And, if they do that, they finish with a better than .500 record in the B1G.  That might be a tall order but I don't know what their schedule looks like.

Wait.

They're 9-8 overall, with an RPI of 119, and a 63 SOS.  They were 6-6 in the noncon, with the best noncon win coming against a team with an RPI of 146.  In combined road/neutral games, they are 2-5.   I realize they have a home win against Illinois but that win is offset with a really bad loss against RPI 226 Eastern Washington.

They would seemingly have to go on a mega, mega run in conference to even make the bubble it would seem.

Purdue would be in second place in  the Mo Valley

Wait.

That seems rather unlikely.  Creighton and Wichita State are locks for the NCAA tournament right now and combined lost a total of two nonconference games while Purdue lost 6, some of which were to really bad teams.

Either way, your response seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of whether or not Purdue will go to the NCAA tourney.

Wait.

That seems rather unlikely.  Creighton and Wichita State are locks for the NCAA tournament right now and combined lost a total of two nonconference games while Purdue lost 6, some of which were to really bad teams.

Either way, your response seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of whether or not Purdue will go to the NCAA tourney.

It had to do with my thoughts on a Creighton Fan engaging in whether a Big 10 team will go to the tournament or not.  So OK, perhaps Purdue would only be in 3rd place in the Mo Valley. OUtside of the top 2 teams, that is one pathetic conference.  Purdue is not a great team, but it is much better than when it was losing games early in the season.  Young team. 

It had to do with my thoughts on a Creighton Fan engaging in whether a Big 10 team will go to the tournament or not. 

Umm, okay?

Being a fan of Creighton means one can't have an opinion on whether a school is going to make the NCAA tournament? 

I don't understand the insecurity.  I didn't say anything bad about Nebraska.  All I said was that I was surprised that Dave would say that Purdue would make the NCAA tournament.  Is that really that outrageous of a statement?  Is there a mass chorus of people within the Big 10 saying that Purdue will make the tournament that me, as a fan of an MVC school, would not be privy to hearing?

Good grief.

Way too early to write Purdue off. They get to 9-9 in Big 10 play with two wins in the Big 10 tournament, they're in, because of the conference and because of their name. Book it.

Purdue is definitely not to be written off. They're 3-2, they had a tough schedule in the non conf. They have a terrific coach.

Purdue has enough to drag themselves onto a bubble.