So, next year's starting lineup.

Would it change anyone's lineup if they found out Ed Morrow put on 28 lbs of muscle and is up to 233 lbs?

Is this a hypothetical or did you read this somewhere?

It was in today's Journal Star. When I went to find it online, it wasn't there.  There is a google cache to it so I suspect it was going to run on Sunday and was pulled for the Andrew White story.  

Here was the old link

9064bc1772.jpg

http://journalstar.com/healthy-morrow-making-weight-room-gains/article_598de1fb-004a-5ecb-9437-3ba002045721.html

28 lbs to get UP to #233???

He didn't seem that skinny to me last year...am I reading this correctly?  He was just a scant over two bills last year???

I think Dimes said it was 28# of muscle.  So, I assume that means his percent of body fat is down to about nothing. 

His net gain in weight includes adding muscle and losing fat.  Just a guess.

Would it change anyone's lineup if they found out Ed Morrow put on 28 lbs of muscle and is up to 233 lbs?

Good reading, Dimes!  Muscles are cool and all, but I would be more interested in seeing if he improved his skills.  

Also part of the story is that he took time off and for the first time in college he feels 100% on both his legs.

A lot of what he should bring to the table in terms of defense, rebounding, etc should improve simply by him being healthier and stronger.  You already saw he has pretty good instincts around the basket and finishes at a high rate.  

Can he handle the ball? Can he consistently hit a shot more than 5 feet away from the basket? TBH I hope he's working on everything else first and starts to add stuff like that to his game after a successful sophomore year.

He didn't seem that skinny to me last year...am I reading this correctly?  He was just a scant over two bills last year???

I think Dimes said it was 28# of muscle.  So, I assume that means his percent of body fat is down to about nothing. 

I think he was 225 last year.  

Down to 5% body fat.

By the way, on the subject of changing anyone's lineup, would it change anyone's lineup if I told you I recently talked with a member of the coaching staff who told me they think Jordy is out-of-the-box starting material?

McVeigh needs to be doing Fire Feet and the Karaoke Drill non-stop rather than bulking-up.

Game 1 starters:

-Watson

-Webster

-McVeigh

-Morrow

-Jacobson

B1G Game 1 starters:

-Watson

-Gill

-McVeigh

-Jacobson

-Jordy

I think Jacobson is going to benefit most from the Jordy signing playing the 4.  I really hope he can get a great mid-game going with some open 15 footers and also hit some wide-open outside shots.  I think he could shot around 40% from 3.  Reason being, he's such a smart player, I think he'll only take good shots and when he gets his feet set, I like his shot from 3 as good as anyone's from the outside (or tied with Jack, but he was STREAKY last year).  Jacobson also showed the ability to go by other 4/5's when he faced up to the basket.

I see Roby playing a bunch at the 3 behind/sharing the spot with Jack and I think Fuller is going to have to play a lot behind Jacobson/Morrow/Jordy.  With the 4-5 spots you have 80 minutes.  Are those 3 guys going to be able to average over 25 minutes a piece??? If Jordy is playing those minutes, then things are GOOD!!!! I hope he does, and like Norm said, if Jordy is a "out-of-the-box" starter, that lines this team up better on both ends.  I JUST HOPE BIG JORDY CAN DEFEND WITHOUT FOULING!!!!!

Who I forgot to add was Horne.  I see Morrow/Jacobson taking up 50-55 minutes total, consistently @ the 4...4/5 spots, so with 25/30 minutes left you have Jordy/HORNE/Fuller.  To begin with, all 3 will get a shot to fill the other 25/30.  Hopefully it's mostly Jordy, but if he can't handle it, I'm sure Horne/Fuller will be eating up the rest. 

I would like to see McVeigh bulk up just a tad to help with rebounding. During last year's Spain trip he averaged like 7 rebounds and had about two near double doubles. During the season though he wasn't very active on the boards. He has the wingspan to be a good rebounder but I think he needs a little more muscle to rebound against Big Ten forwards (which he will hopefully have by the start of the season).

I think he was 225 last year.  

Down to 5% body fat.

My memory was just a slight bit off - he lost 5% of his body fat

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/healthy-morrow-making-weight-room-gains/article_598de1fb-004a-5ecb-9437-3ba002045721.html

“That’s the plan,” Morrow said. “I was hoping it was last year. I gained 28 pounds of muscle since I was a freshman. Right now, I’m about 233 (pounds), and I lost, like, 5 percent of my body fat.

“It shows that I’m happy to be here, working with the right people, with Coach Wilson,” Morrow said, referring to basketball strength coach Tim Wilson. "You can look at us all and tell, see the results in the end.”

I liked this quote. Maybe a jab for someone going out the door....or maybe to all the rumor mills saying he wasn't happy and wanted to transfer....or maybe I'm reading too much into this.

In any event if he's working on the rest of his game as much as his lifting, I can dig it.

I think that's 28 pounds since he showed up on campus, not since the end of last season, fwiw.

I think it's he weighs 233# now no matter what he weighed at the end of last season or the start of last season.  That's a big add no matter when he did it.

I get what you're saying, but still that's a lot of work paying off to get him up to 233# without the body fat.  That's impressive.  At that rate, he'll be an absolute beast by his senior year.

• 2 weeks later...

With a little more depth at guard are we looking at a starting lineup of

Watson/Webster/Gill 

as opposed to two guards + McVeigh?

Depends how far down the line Taylor is.  If he's the 1st or 2nd guy off the bench, then maybe.  If he's 5th guy off the bench, then probably not.  I think the 8 best play a lot.  Maybe even to 9 or now 10.  Rank the top 8 players, though, and if he's in that mix, then maybe you start Watson/Webster/Gill.  There's certainly an argument to do that considering they are probably going to be three of our top 4 or 5 players regardless of position.

Watson/Webster/Gill 

Depends how far down the line Taylor is.  If he's the 1st or 2nd guy off the bench, then maybe.  If he's 5th guy off the bench, then probably not.  I think the 8 best play a lot.  Maybe even to 9 or now 10.  Rank the top 8 players, though, and if he's in that mix, then maybe you start Watson/Webster/Gill.  There's certainly an argument to do that considering they are probably going to be three of our top 4 or 5 players regardless of position.

The Top Seven are probably

Watson

Gill

Webster

Morrow

Jacobson

McVeigh

Jordy

with these guys battling for 8/9th man in the rotation.

Roby

Horne

Taylor

Fuller

It probably comes down to whether or not you can guard the opposing team's SF with Gill/Webster or if you need to roll out McVeigh.

Watson/Webster/Gill

Personally, I doubt we start all of our "3 headed monster". I have Taylor as our 10th man. I put him ahead of Fuller just bc the 3 and 4 spots are pretty deep.