2017 C Luka Garza -> Iowa

18 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If the long term stability of a coach is a priority for a recruit, they probably put more research into it than waiting for OWH articles to appear.

But wasn't the decision to not extend Miles made at a retreat during the summer?   Garza wasn't even mentioning us in early June.  Doesn't add up.   It's grasping at straws.

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

But wasn't the decision to not extend Miles made at a retreat during the summer?   Garza wasn't even mentioning us in early June.  Doesn't add up.   It's grasping at straws.

When was he extended the previous year? May.

37 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

When was he extended the previous year? May.

You really think he researched when the extension was the previous year?

It's interesting that this is only brought up after the fact.  

I won't deny that long term stability of a coach is a factor.  More likely than anything, he saw Miles 2nd straight losing season and 3rd in 4 years and did the math himself.   But I think the contract extension angle is b.s. and a strawman created to blame the administration for Miles failures.

I'm no fan of Eichorst and have said he really put us into a bad spot last year...but we can't lay all of Miles failures at his feet.

Edited by nustudent

Just now, nustudent said:

I won't deny that long term stability of a coach is a factor.   But I think the contract extension angle is b.s. and a strawman created to blame the administration for Miles failures.

Fran McCaffery had a contract extension put together in March of 2016 that he signed in June. Heck, the guy had/has two 4 star kids as recruits;  Seems like he was going to be at Iowa for a while. We extend Miles another year in May maybe we have a chance with this guy. Big Maybe.  We're talking about a Nebraska team coming off two losing seasons and Iowa coming off of three straight tournament wins so that might say more to job stability than any contract.

I've known about this Garza thing for a while and was going to sit on it until Garza graduated. 

Man, wasn't attempting to start a fire-storm.  I just saw a clip of him vs. Michigan, I believe, and thought he was playing well.  I knew we had recruited him and thought he would have been a good addition.  Based on what Matt is saying, we were closer than this thread would have indicated.  Man, too bad, sooo sad that we couldn't landed him.

39 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I'm no fan of Eichorst and have said he really put us into a bad spot last year...but we can't lay all of Miles failures at his feet.

If the Sadler era is any indication we'll have years to dissect this. It certainly wasn't Eichorst's fault that Miles spent the first 4+ years here bungling the recruiting of Nebraska kids.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:52 AM, nustudent said:

I won't deny that long term stability of a coach is a factor.  More likely than anything, he saw Miles 2nd straight losing season and 3rd in 4 years and did the math himself.   But I think the contract extension angle is b.s. and a strawman created to blame the administration for Miles failures.

He didn’t have to research it. Fran McCaffrey knew it.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

He didn’t have to research it. Fran McCaffrey knew it.

People made fun of Iowa after the Fran extension.  However, at least Iowa acted like they knew what they wanted.  Now look where they are and what they have in terms of season outcome so far and in terms of recruits coming in.  We we sit... looking like a big ol administration of fence sitters which will probably come back to haunt us no matter where the season goes this year.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

People made fun of Iowa after the Fran extension.  However, at least Iowa acted like they knew what they wanted.  Now look where they are and what they have in terms of season outcome so far and in terms of recruits coming in.  We we sit... looking like a big ol administration of fence sitters which will probably come back to haunt us no matter where the season goes this year.

If Miles had Fran's level of sucsess he would have an extension as well. Look, I dispise Iowa and Fran but he has 3 NCAA bids and multiple tournament wins in the last 5 years. We can sit here and act like kids are picking Iowa over Nebraska because of a coaches contract (which may factor in), but lets not act like Iowa hasn't played a better brand of basketball and been a constant in the post season.