WBB: Game #18 vs Illinois

Row6Seat10

Nebraska Cornhuskers (12-5, 2-2 Big Ten) vs. Illinois Fighting Illini (9-7, 2-2 Big Ten)

Thursday, Jan. 17, 7:05 p.m.
Bob Devaney Sports Center

Live Video: BTN.com
Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network  (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch)
(KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFFF 93.3 FM, Omaha; KRVN 880 AM, Lexington; KHAS 1230 AM, Hastings; KNEB 960 AM, Scottsbluff; KNEB 94.1 FM, Scottsbluff; KCOW 1400 AM, Alliance)
Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com

107_IL_NE_BKW161.jpg

Huskers Return Home to Take on Fighting Illini Thursday

The Nebraska women's basketball team returns home after a two-game road trip to play host to Illinois in a key Big Ten battle on Thursday, Jan. 17. Tip-off between the Huskers (12-5, 2-2 Big Ten) and the Fighting Illini (9-7, 2-2 Big Ten) is set for 7:05 p.m.

Nebraska will try to get a step ahead of Illinois in the Big Ten standings following an 80-58 road loss to Penn State. Emily Cady, Jordan Hooper and Lindsey Moore all scored in double figures for the Huskers. Cady and Hooper are two of only four players averaging double-doubles in conference action. Moore leads the Huskers with 16.0 points and 5.5 assists in Big Ten action.

At 9-7 overall, Illinois is closing in on last year's win total after finishing 11-19 overall and 5-11 in Jolette Law's final season as coach. First-year coach Matt Bollant is guiding one of the Big Ten's most

improved teams. Illinois is just two possessions from being 4-0 in Big Ten play after opening with a 67-66 overtime loss to Purdue. The Illini are coming off a 79-75 home loss to Michigan State.

Illinois returns nine players, including three starters from last year's group that went 11-19 overall and 5-11 in league play. While most of the key players to the Illini team return from last year, the style and results have been significantly different.

The Illini have shifted to a scrambling, trapping defensive style that has helped them produce one of the Big Ten's top turnover margins (+3.8). They have also shifted to a four-out, one-in concept on the offensive end that has allowed senior forward Karisma Penn to become one of the Big Ten's most productive post players.

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Illinois 4-2, including a 67-47 victory at Assembly Hall last January.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F
35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F
00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G
24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr. – G

Illinios Fighting Illini
00 - Karisma Penn - 6-2 - Sr. - F
22 - Ivory Crawford - 5-10 - So. - G
23 - Alexis Smith - 5-9 - So. - G
24 - Adrienne Godbold - 5-11 - Sr. - G
42 - Amber Moore - 5-11 - Jr. – G

Lindsey Moore enters Thursday night's game with Illinois needing two assists to become just the second Husker in history with 600 career assists.

Rachel Theriot produced the best week of her young career in a pair of Big Ten road games last week for the Huskers. For the week, Theriot averaged 11.5 points, 3.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists at Indiana and No. 8 Penn State.

Huskers Return Home to Face Illini              huskers.com

Just what did we do in practice since the Penn St game? Working on making lay ups evidently wasn't one of them.

26 turnovers?.........Really?

If I'm the coach I pull out film from 3 years ago and show them footage of Kelsey Griffin finishing around the basket.

I also think it's way past time for a starting line-up change instead of playing favorites, we can't keep finding ourselves down 9-12 points at the onset especially on our home court and expect to come out on top at the end. And the player you've got to put in there is Tee Laudermill she continually provides a spark when she's in there.

Disturbing.  Very disturbing.

I've been doing this for 30 years, and this was one of the more disheartening performances I have witnessed.  Something is wrong with this team, in addition to the obvious lack of depth.  They looked like "dead man walking".  Color out of the faces, not having fun, not interacting with each other.  From a distance, it looks like the players are crushed by the weight of high expectations. 

For all the talk of how much Illinois is improved, they are not that good.  To be down double digits most of the game at home against that team shows how rough it is right now.

One of the few times I can say without hesitation--we got outcoached.  I realize the coaching looks better if we make some layups, but it didn't look like we ever figured out how to run the offense against The Buzz, and we never got the guards to calm down and handle the pressure.  We looked as rattled at the end of the game as we did when they first switched into The Buzz.

One thing is obvious--we lack physical strength.  We had rebounding position so many times and were easily knocked out of it.  The officials let them play, and it killed us.  Illinois was not skilled, but was strong.  We could have used some over the back calls, but we have to be stronger. I also think some of the missed layups were a function of worrying about possible contact. I hope we take a long look at the strength program this offseason. 

The lack of a traditional post player with some bulk hurt us with rebounding, and also in allowing us to punish Illinois for selling out on the trapping zone.

When we did get the offfense started and rotated the ball, the lack of shooters hurt us--the ball had to rotate to a nonshooter, who either has to pass up the open shot, or throw up a prayer.  Teams have us scouted, and I 'm not sure what we can do about it.

It is clear that Jordan hasn't developed the driving game, ala Kelsay.  Until she does, teams will keep running players at her on the perimiter, and her shot will have to be hurried even more.

Rough night for Lindsay.  I like her accountability in the postgame qoutes.

Tough game sunday at Minny.  We lose it we go to 2-4.  I suspect we'll see a better effort, but it will still be a tough game to win. 

I hope we can turn it around, and get back to having some fun out there.  We have great kids and they won't quit, but the lack of a true post player will continue to be a problem all year.

I did see Chatrice White at the game last night so maybe she will see that the Huskers need a inside player. But she looks alittle slight in my book.

Yes, she was there with her parents.  Nice looking athlete.  What I liked was the interaction of her family and the other people in her section, which included parents of current players.  They all acted like one big happy family, and it looked encouraging.  If one didn't know, and just by looking, one would have thought she was already a commit.

Jess Shepard will give us some strength and sturdiness we currently lack.  She's a beast.  Physical player.  As mentioned above, we're a little off the scale right now on the finesse side.

I did see Chatrice White at the game last night so maybe she will see that the Huskers need a inside player. But she looks alittle slight in my book.

Yes, she was there with her parents.  Nice looking athlete.  What I liked was the interaction of her family and the other people in her section, which included parents of current players.  They all acted like one big happy family, and it looked encouraging.  If one didn't know, and just by looking, one would have thought she was already a commit.

Jess Shepard will give us some strength and sturdiness we currently lack.  She's a beast.  Physical player.  As mentioned above, we're a little off the scale right now on the finesse side.

But she is only a Junior right ?

But she is only a Junior right ?

Only a sophomore!

Does anyone who goes to the games hear a lady yell get the ball everytime there's a loose ball

Somehow I've managed to miss her.  Probably becuse she's drowned out in my section by the guy yelling shoot it even when some bricklayer has it 25 feet from the basket. 

Great post HB! I wanted to write something half as good as that last night but I was too frustrated and most likely would have written something I would have regretted.

Something I've also been thinking about is when the Huskers started practice back in October with very limited numbers participating. Why do you make a change and go to a "Princeton style" offense when no one is there to learn it? 

And what would it hurt at all if our coach would get animated and get a technical every once and a while when things aren't going too well? If for anything it might work at least to light a spark when the team goes 6+ minutes without scoring.

Great post HB! I wanted to write something half as good as that last night but I was too frustrated and most likely would have written something I would have regretted.

Something I've also been thinking about is when the Huskers started practice back in October with very limited numbers participating. Why do you make a change and go to a "Princeton style" offense when no one is there to learn it? 

And what would it hurt at all if our coach would get animated and get a technical every once and a while when things aren't going too well? If for anything it might work at least to light a spark when the team goes 6+ minutes without scoring.

Agree with the comment about the offense change, Row 6.  Meant to mention that in my postgame post, but it was already a novel!  So far the change hasn't gone well at all--our scoring is way down.  I don't know if that is part of the issue with the players looking forlorn out there. 

An early T last night might have helped.  The team fouling and traveling all night got the better end of it last night.