AW-III IS BACK FOR HIS SENIOR SEASON (SOMEWHERE)

If I were Andrew, my biggest concern about playing overseas is that there are so many leagues. He runs the risk of getting lost in the shuffle. Look at how many former Huskers go overseas. How many of them have made a return and played in the NBA?

I dont think Andrew would go overseas expecting to come back... I think he would go over to make it a career.

Brandon Ubel has done fairly well overseas, as has Lance Jeter.

Steph Marbury is a legend in China... I think some guys are just happy to get paid to play ball.

+1 Overseas ball is a good deal. The pay isn't as good as the NBA obviously, but it's a heck of a lot better than a real job. Most of the places treat Americans really well in terms of living expenses and making you feel like a star. Guys like Dourisseau and Wilkinson have made the best of it with long careers. They'll be able to play till they're 35 or so and sock away a lot of money. When they come back for good, they can get a coaching job and never have to work a crappy real job like us. If you saw the story about Rodney Buford coaching that Omaha team, he just retired from overseas at age 38. That's a pretty sweet deal to get paid to play for that long. The overseas guys sometimes make off better than the guys who cash big checks in the NBA for a few years, blow it while they're young and stupid and are bankrupt at 30. 

NBA's the dream, but overseas is a good fallback. 

Is this a coded message that we will get a new transfer named Johnnie?

There was a pretty straightforward message about Jacobson playing the 4

If you're going to combine guys by ability to stretch the floor and the type of player they can defend how about this?

Watson/Webster/Gill 1

Gill/Webster/White/Roby 2

White/McVeigh/Roby 3

Jacobson/White/Horne/McVeigh 4

Morrow/Jordy/Jacobson 5

While losing White would be a huge blow to the team it is a position we're equipped to replace.

Edited by hhcdimes
added Gill at the 1

Conference moves so far

Declared and signed with Agent (3)

Deyonta Davis - MSU

Diamond Stone - Maryland

Robert Carter, Maryland, Jr

Declared and has withdrawn (3)

Corey Sanders, Rutgers, Fr

Trevor Thompson, Ohio State, So

Peter Jok, Iowa, Jr

Declared , Still deciding (7)

Andrew White, Nebraska, Jr

James Blackmon Jr., Indiana, So

Vince Edwards, Purdue, So

Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin, Jr

Caleb Swanigan, Purdue, Fr

Melo Trimble, Maryland, So

Troy Williams, Indiana, Jr

Dimes, I think you make a good point about having backups at White's position to blunt the loss if he does decide not to come back.  Granted, it's still a big loss, but of all the positions where it could occur, we seem pretty solid at his. So ...

Where I think I differ from your proposed lineup is as follows:

What I've read and heard suggests to me that Gill can be a combo guard who can play either backcourt position.  I expect him to do that.  I think we have a three-headed monster at the guard spot that incudes Gill, Watson and Webster.  I think any of them could start and we could have Watson-Gill, Watson-Webster, or Gill-Webster starting in the backcourt on any given night.

Minutes are harder to come by at the other three spots where we have lots of options and quality players who can't all start or get big minutes.  But I think this is where we see Roby and McVeigh.  White might see some time at the 2 (assuming he returns.)  You might call him a third guard in a 3-guard lineup.  But I think we'll pretty much see 2 of the 3 guards listed above pretty much at all times.  Let's just say if Roby comes in and plays guard with three other guys on the floor not named Watson, Webster or Gill, I will be surprised. 

I think Horne could surprise some folks.  It'll be interesting to see what Jordy gets to do, especially if Jacobson plays more 4.

Note:  I get and I grant what Dean Smith has said about the 4 and 5 being basically the same spot.  But for clarity of discussion, it helps to designate them differently.  Besides, Jordy represents more of the throwback true 5 rather than a combo forward who plays the role of the "big."