Bakari Evelyn Transferring

I am unsure what people saw in Bakari.  I had high hopes for him, and I am sure he had room for growth, but his shot was horrible this past year.  He had decent handles and played decent defense, but goodness, we can do much, much better.  We can now go two bigs and one guard/wing with our remaining three schollies.  I am happy.

I am unsure what people saw in Bakari.  I had high hopes for him, and I am sure he had room for growth, but his shot was horrible this past year.  He had decent handles and played decent defense, but goodness, we can do much, much better.  We can now go two bigs and one guard/wing with our remaining three schollies.  I am happy.

Try the word you forgot was try.

Soooooooooooo I'm assuming Webster is our backup PG now?  And Roby will be seeing plenty of time at 2G?

That's assuming that Webster doesn't beat out Glynn Watson for the point, but that makes a lot of sense. 

I can see Webster, Gill and Watson as the primary guys at the 1&2 with White sliding up from the 3 as needed.  My biggest concern has been for some time the lack of depth at the 1&2 next year with Webster and White graduating.  2017-2018 will leave only Gill and Watson with an inexperienced Arop.  I would prefer not taking a reach at guard right now and bring in an experience transfer who will sit out next year and provide experience/depth in 2017-2018.

I feel like we are almost packed with 3's (McVeigh and Roby) and 4's (Jacobson, Morrow, Horne) for 2017-2018.  

I hope (no inside knowledge) to see a JUCO/Grad transfer big guy, a guard transfer, and Jordy all sign this spring.  

The reality is that the way you climb to the top is that your bottom tier of players have to push the top tier of players.  After our first 7 or eight players, we had a significant drop off in talent.  For us to get and stay in the top quarter of our conference we need a strong depth chart with players pushing players.  I look at the two recent departures as an opportunity to get better. 

If I may add, someone like Nick Fuller can always play on my roster.  You cannot have a team of them, but a couple of Nick types are good for the team.  They will work their butts off, they are glue players and they can play a couple of minutes a half at a high volume and they can change momentum. 

The reality is that the way you climb to the top is that your bottom tier of players have to push the top tier of players. After our first 7 or eight players, we had a significant drop off in talent. For us to get and stay in the top quarter of our conference we need a strong depth chart with players pushing players. I look at the two recent departures as an opportunity to get better.

If I may add, someone like Nick Fuller can always play on my roster. You cannot have a team of them, but a couple of Nick types are good for the team. They will work their butts off, they are glue players and they can play a couple of minutes a half at a high volume and they can change momentum.

Glue guys can be found at the walk on level, scholarships should be for the ones that can do more than a few minutes a half. It's not football, and there's only so many scholarships.

The reality is that the way you climb to the top is that your bottom tier of players have to push the top tier of players.  After our first 7 or eight players, we had a significant drop off in talent.  For us to get and stay in the top quarter of our conference we need a strong depth chart with players pushing players.  I look at the two recent departures as an opportunity to get better. 

If I may add, someone like Nick Fuller can always play on my roster.  You cannot have a team of them, but a couple of Nick types are good for the team.  They will work their butts off, they are glue players and they can play a couple of minutes a half at a high volume and they can change momentum. 

This is why I have been frustrated with leaving a ship open every year.  Yes there are only so many spots in the rotation for playing time.  However, if your 13th guy is good enough, he pushes the guys ahead and is ready to step in when it's his turn.  That said, while his shooting has been a major disappointment, I don't dislike Fuller.

The reality is that the way you climb to the top is that your bottom tier of players have to push the top tier of players. After our first 7 or eight players, we had a significant drop off in talent. For us to get and stay in the top quarter of our conference we need a strong depth chart with players pushing players. I look at the two recent departures as an opportunity to get better.

If I may add, someone like Nick Fuller can always play on my roster. You cannot have a team of them, but a couple of Nick types are good for the team. They will work their butts off, they are glue players and they can play a couple of minutes a half at a high volume and they can change momentum.

Glue guys can be found at the walk on level, scholarships should be for the ones that can do more than a few minutes a half. It's not football, and there's only so many scholarships.

And there are only so many minutes for 13 guys.

Yet - there are only so many minutes to be dispersed.  If your roster is 13 deep, are all of them going to play?  I think not.  Someone like Nick has shown spurts of ability and a whole lot of energy while on the floor and allegedly in practice.  Would I rather have a five star...sure.  But again, a Nick or two on your team can bring positive vibes.

But to be fair, you are right about the walk on.  We have had a few that fit that bill. 

I wish it were Fuller instead, Bakari had a much higher ceiling.

Could have been neither; could have been both.

There was no choice where we were limited to only one or the other.

Bakari chose to leave; Nick did not. 

Bakari's ceiling might be marginally higher, but he has 3 more years of eligibility to burn, 4 if he redshirts. Nick is done in two more seasons come hell or high water.

Bakari's ceiling might be marginally higher, but he has 3 more years of eligibility to burn, 4 if he redshirts. Nick is done in two more seasons come hell or high water.

Gut feeling Fuller graduates next season and becomes a graduate transfer the following season at a smaller D1 school to "go out on top" with his playing time.

I am unsure what people saw in Bakari. I had high hopes for him, and I am sure he had room for growth, but his shot was horrible this past year. He had decent handles and played decent defense, but goodness, we can do much, much better. We can now go two bigs and one guard/wing with our remaining three schollies. I am happy.

I certainly hope we can do better

If we need a guy to put into the game for energy or because we're sick of the effort of everyone else I do like Fuller for that role because I know he can do that.

If we need a guy to put into the game for energy or because we're sick of the effort of everyone else I do like Fuller for that role because I know he can do that.

Yup.

I dig Fuller, though he rarely ever plays the way I want him to.

This is why I have been frustrated with leaving a ship open every year. Yes there are only so many spots in the rotation for playing time. However, if your 13th guy is good enough, he pushes the guys ahead and is ready to step in when it's his turn. That said, while his shooting has been a major disappointment, I don't dislike Fuller.

Agreed. You obviously don't hit home runs on 13/13 recruits. But you need guys like Hammonds, Evelyn, Fuller, etc. to develop into solid role players that can push the primary players and contribute as upperclassmen.

Leaving a scholarship open prevents this. Having potential role players continue to transfer out before we can develop them prevents this. Some turnover is inevitable... But it should be a balance.

In the day and age of kids not having to work for anything... including PT... smaller and lesser known colleges will always have this problem.  It takes a special kind of hard working kid (Nick Fuller) to accept a redshirt and keep pushing on even though you are getting limited playing time.  A lot of kids think "they" are so much better than what is currently on the court that if they are not getting PT, they will look elsewhere.

Soooooooooooo I'm assuming Webster is our backup PG now?  And Roby will be seeing plenty of time at 2G?

That's assuming that Webster doesn't beat out Glynn Watson for the point, but that makes a lot of sense. 

Yeah..that or us landing a 5th year transfer at guard.  Hopefully Roby comes ready to play.  We are going to need him

Also, Tai Webster has played both PG and SG and he knows our system. If we want both Watson and Gill playing 25+ minutes a game, that leaves Tai 25+ minutes to back up both of them and covers your guard play (except for injuries and/or foul trouble)

Is Roby fast enough to guard a SG? I really think he might be.

Yeah..that or us landing a 5th year transfer at guard.  Hopefully Roby comes ready to play.  We are going to need him

Also, Tai Webster has played both PG and SG and he knows our system. If we want both Watson and Gill playing 25+ minutes a game, that leaves Tai 25+ minutes to back up both of them and covers your guard play (except for injuries and/or foul trouble)

A touted transfer guard could be that perfect fit. Perhaps the transfer from Miami in James Palmer might be that highly-regarded guard to sit out 2016-17 and be ready to compete for big minutes in 2017-18.

A touted transfer guard could be that perfect fit. Perhaps the transfer from Miami in James Palmer might be that highly-regarded guard to sit out 2016-17 and be ready to compete for big minutes in 2017-18.

I'll take a higher end sit with 2 years to play guard over a 1-year grad transfer at this spot if we can do this. I'm getting more and more on board with ISAIAH ROBY - GUARD by the minute.  

I'll take a higher end sit with 2 years to play guard over a 1-year grad transfer at this spot if we can do this. I'm getting more and more on board with ISAIAH ROBY - GUARD by the minute.  

Three open scholarship convo on my part. As far as signed, sealed & (soon-to-be) delivered: I'm all aboard the Roby freight-train! WOOO! WOOOO!

As 9er says, I really like that Roby kid.