Beckner leaving

ajb5856

From another board, NOT MY POST OR INSIGHT:

"FWIW one of my friends is a manager for the basketball team and he said that this is was not a surprise at all. From his experience working with the team throughout the year Beckner was not a fit in the locker room and was not generally liked by any of the players. He told me about a month ago that he didn't expect Beckner to be back next year and that Miles was helping him to find another landing spot. I almost compare it to a Hank Hughes situation where he may be a good coach and very knowledgable (ex. his work with Damian Lillard) but he couldn't connect or relate to the players on the roster and its for the best that he is moving on. Take it for what its worth."

Again, just taking a quote from another board. Not my information. Delete if needed.

Wait there are other boards?

Not as big of a deal a most think. We have Ali looking for a job... Chris still looking for a job if I'm not mistaken. If posts are true and he wasn't a fit for the team, then I'm happy he found some pace to start over.

It may not be a huge deal as I didn't get any inkling Becker was tearing it up on the recruiting trail.  With that said, the turnover every single year has to stop and it's Miles job to find the "right fit."  The program continues to trend in the wrong direction...it would be nice to get some good recruiting news soon. 

Not as big of a deal a most think. We have Ali looking for a job... Chris still looking for a job if I'm not mistaken. If posts are true and he wasn't a fit for the team, then I'm happy he found some pace to start over.

It may not be a huge deal as I didn't get any inkling Becker was tearing it up on the recruiting trail.  With that said, the turnover every single year has to stop and it's Miles job to find the "right fit."  The program continues to trend in the wrong direction...it would be nice to get some good recruiting news soon. 

I'm going to mark down this day as the first time I've seen you advocate for less coaching turnover ;)

I'm going to mark down this day as the first time I've seen you advocate for less coaching turnover ;)

I'm not a huge fan of Molinari.....Beckner really wasn't here long enough to know how solid of an assistant he was.  Never really saw his name brought up on the recruiting trail and outside of an article or two in the OWH about how Becker was helping on the offensive end it was quiet.  In the grand scheme of things Beckner leaving probably doesn't hurt at all...but it would be nice to find another assistant that will stick around 2-3 years and get it done on and off the court. 

I know for a fact that other people on the staff and some players didn't like Beckner at all. The guy came off as a jerk a lot of the times. Doesn't look good, but maybe it's for the best.

Yes, i had been hearing the same thing from someone since the first couple weeks Beckner got here.  One of the family members of the staff had been telling me that since before the season started.  This isn't much of a shock and not really much of a loss in my eyes when it comes to trying to keep a close knit bond within the program.

I hope Ali gets promoted now although I have no inside information on his performance while he has been here. He just seems like a good guy and it would alleviate any more angst about another "coaching search" if the deal can be announced quickly. Plus, it would teach us all to be able to spell Farokhmanesh.

Why would Miles quickly name someone to an assistant position when that is why we're looking for another assistant?

I really think he should take a look at someone internally. We at least know that Eaton can recruit as he found Horne.  However I'm sure he'll spend plenty of time looking around externally if he hasn't been already.

Dimes, I agree with you in general. However, my question - how much do you weigh "loyalty" with this position? 

I have always felt, for Nebraska to reach the apex of where we can be as a basketball program, staff loyalty and continuity has to be one of the main priorities. If we're just looking for big time assistants who we think can bring us a big name recruit alongside of them - aren't we just in this position every year after they move on? I debate a lot with myself whether I think we should look externally or from inside. 

I'm not a huge fan of Molinari.

If you think that stability of the coaching staff is an asset it's funny that you're not a fan of the assistant least likely to leave.

Stability of solid assistant coaches.  Again, I don't know enough to say Beckner was that guy...he simply wasn't here long enough and I never heard anything out of the program one way or the other in regards to him.  Losing him I don't believe will have any impact on Miles future but making the right hire this time around may. 

If we're going to make the hire internally, Ali isn't the guy most inline for that spot, or at least he shouldn't be. Eaton would be the internal hire if we're looking at qualifications and experience. He's the one Coach Miles sent out on the road (oh, and they signed one of his guys, too, btw...). He's been with Miles for several years now, before Nebraska, even. I don't know if he'll get the job or even a look, but if they go internally, he'd be more qualified for it than Ali would.

I hope Ali gets promoted now although I have no inside information on his performance while he has been here. He just seems like a good guy and it would alleviate any more angst about another "coaching search" if the deal can be announced quickly. Plus, it would teach us all to be able to spell Farokhmanesh.

Why would Miles quickly name someone to an assistant position when that is why we're looking for another assistant?

I really think he should take a look at someone internally. We at least know that Eaton can recruit as he found Horne.  However I'm sure he'll spend plenty of time looking around externally if he hasn't been already.

Dimes, I agree with you in general. However, my question - how much do you weigh "loyalty" with this position? 

I have always felt, for Nebraska to reach the apex of where we can be as a basketball program, staff loyalty and continuity has to be one of the main priorities. If we're just looking for big time assistants who we think can bring us a big name recruit alongside of them - aren't we just in this position every year after they move on? I debate a lot with myself whether I think we should look externally or from inside. 

It would seem as though Miles like one guy he can count on...for most of his career it has been Smith and at this point it seems like it's Mo. While I believe that Kenya likes it here I also think he has aspirations to one day be a head coach and unfortunately we'll lose him as well.  It's not like he brought his entire staff every time he has moved so it doesn't seem like having all the same guys all the time has been part of his success.

I do think you have some point with the familiarity of a staff not having to spend time getting on the same page with each other. It would seem as though finding someone from the Midwest who can recruit, as Jimmys and Joes are more important than Super Coach, would be the ideal candidate. 

If we're going to make the hire internally, Ali isn't the guy most inline for that spot, or at least he shouldn't be. Eaton would be the internal hire if we're looking at qualifications and experience. He's the one Coach Miles sent out on the road (oh, and they signed one of his guys, too, btw...). He's been with Miles for several years now, before Nebraska, even. I don't know if he'll get the job or even a look, but if they go internally, he'd be more qualified for it than Ali would.

Eaton has been with Miles since CSU and has a track record on the road. If you're looking for someone who can recruit and isn't going to jump ship after a year, there he is. 

My biggest takeaway from this being the 5th assistant after 5 years is that every time Miles says he's going to take his time to find the best guy for the job.  I don't think he had the luxury of that sort of time frame after Burno jumped ship.  Hasn't anyone ever worked somewhere that needed a rush hire and it unfortunately didn't work out?

Completely still sore over Burno jumping ship more than Beckner, for whatever that's worth... i.e. not much! ;)

I was not necessarily advocating Ali as the only choice for internal promotion, so Eaton or Owens may be better fits for the position. However, an internal promotion should be made with some alacrity since the "personality clash" which appears to be the problem with the last hire would not be a factor. I see no point in dragging the process out except to allow message boards to fill up during the off season with speculations about the "behind the scenes" problems with Coach Miles' program which can not be good for recruiting. My entirely unsolicited advice is to get this over with in a hurry and hire someone who Tim knows will be happy here for awhile and not the "best" candidate available who will arrive with a bagful of ambition and one eye already fixed upon moving to a higher rung on the ladder.

Hey at least we have assistants who can take jobs at other programs with other coaches! They are wanted! I'm not concerned about the 5 in 5 years thing. We could go back to having a bunch of David Anwars and Doc's crew of assistants! There would be zero turnover because none of them would be wanted elsewhere.

Hey at least we have assistants who can take jobs at other programs with other coaches! They are wanted! I'm not concerned about the 5 in 5 years thing. We could go back to having a bunch of David Anwars and Doc's crew of assistants! There would be zero turnover because none of them would be wanted elsewhere.

Exactly.

We should want guys on staff who want to get better and climb the ladder. 

In this case, though, he doesn't seem to be climbing the ladder.

Exactly.

We should want guys on staff who want to get better and climb the ladder.

And that's not to say that's exactly the case here with the Beckner situation. Maybe he was a jerk, not a good fit, and was more or less pushed out the door. For the most part, all of our departures have been guys advancing within the profession or positioning themselves better to advance. That's how this game works. Most guys in coaching don't want to be an assistant forever.

I hate to say it, but promoting Ali to an assistant position on the basketball team would be somewhat akin to promoting Matt Davison to be an assistant with the football team. 

Had Ali not hit that shot against your KU Jayhawks in the dance, Jimmy, I don't think anyone would be seriously considering him for a job as an assistant.  There are other full-time positions on staff that Ali could use to work his way into the lineup.  Not sure he has the experience yet to justify getting called up into a full-time coaching position just yet.

Meanwhile, we're in the same spot we were in a year ago:  Down one assistant during a recruiting stretch.  Last year, I believe they temporarily promoted Eaton, the video guy, into that role, and he found Jeriah Horne who ended up becoming not only a Rivals 150 player but a Husker commit.

Instead of leap-frogging Ali over some of the other full-time guys who've been here, I suspect Miles will want to do a full search for another assistant with some recruiting connections.  Meanwhile, it paid dividends last year to send Eaten out on the road.  That might make more sense than a temporary promotion for a GA.

Give Molinari a chance to run the defense with an actual post defender. I've seen enough defensive improvements with individual players to think he's knows what he's doing, plus our players are mostly from the Chicago area now, which might have something to do with Mo.

Exactly this. I know there aren't a lot of Molinari fans out there but his connections throughout the state of Illinois run extremely deep.

Give Molinari a chance to run the defense with an actual post defender. I've seen enough defensive improvements with individual players to think he's knows what he's doing, plus our players are mostly from the Chicago area now, which might have something to do with Mo.

Exactly this. I know there aren't a lot of Molinari fans out there but his connections throughout the state of Illinois run extremely deep.

Mo's biggest problem is and always will be with fans is that his parents didn't name him Craig Smith

Mo's biggest problem is and always will be with fans is that his parents didn't name him Craig Smith

Or, sequentially, it would be that Craig's parents did not name him James Molinari.

Yeah I agree on Eaton. If you make a hire internally you go with Eaton. He's on year 7 with Miles, has gone on the road to recruit and landed Horne in his first try, and knows the ins and outs of everything. Ali, while he could be a good coach, has never recruited before, and has literally only been a GA for two years now. His connections are a little limited in comparison to Eaton or even Owens.

Now I'm not necessarily advocating a hire within, but Eaton should be the very first interview in the process regardless. He's at least earned that right with his track record.