Beckner leaving

ajb5856

One of our short time coaches heading to the Pacific Northwest, honestly think there may be some staff concerns about Miles longevity.

At the start this was a marriage on convenience as we were in a lurch with the whole Burno fiasco and Beckner needed a job. As far as I know we don't have any guys he recruited that were close to signing so unknown how he was going to end up as a recruiter here. At this time of the year we have a pretty good chance at finding a pretty good guy out there...heck we might want to think about looking internally this time as we have some pretty good candidates already in house.
Agree it was kind of a last minute hire, but I liked him as a hire. We will see if miles is able to land someone who can not only coach offense, but recruit like a mastermind. Good connections aren't always a bad thing.

If he is to leave there should be plenty of time for miles to go searching.

Beckner is heading to Boise State at a BIG pay cut.

And it's that right there that makes me wonder. Did Beckner not like what was going on here and decide to make the move? Did staff not get along? Was it never a good fit? What was the issue?

Most of us will never know but I hope there's nothing wrong internally.

Now on to the next one. Will Ali get a chance or will Miles bring in someone else?

I guess there's always potential for staff turnover so why not discuss it. If there's some news that isn't out but is going to be then I guess it wouldn't hurt deleting this thread. But when is it appropriate to discuss negatives? Should we never discuss things that go wrong during the season either? Recruiting is a 24/7/365 ordeal so recruits can get ahold of the negative message board banter any time they like.

I honestly don't know if this is a negative or not....probably a mix like everything else in the world. However, what I do know is that for some reason this information hasn't gone out from the U yet. On the off chance it's because we have a recruit on campus, I didn't want it to come from here because being first above all else to me isn't the main goal of this board. Also, this isn't information that had some sort of time limit....like discussing it on Friday wouldn't make a difference vs discussing it today.

I PMed the guys who started this these threads about why I made them disappear. I appreciate not seeing any "why did these threads get deleted" posts after the fact. As you can see the threads were not deleted but were hidden, which is what I'll typically do if I think a thread/post is either inappropriate or I see something where I don't know what to think and I need to process it.

I don't expect everyone to agree with why I run things like this but just wanted to give an explanation of where I'm coming from. Also, if anyone wants any of their posts from before actually deleted, just edit the post to say delete and i'll remove it.

Great job, Dimes.

One of our short time coaches heading to the Pacific Northwest, honestly think there may be some staff concerns about Miles longevity.

At the start this was a marriage on convenience as we were in a lurch with the whole Burno fiasco and Beckner needed a job. As far as I know we don't have any guys he recruited that were close to signing so unknown how he was going to end up as a recruiter here. At this time of the year we have a pretty good chance at finding a pretty good guy out there...heck we might want to think about looking internally this time as we have some pretty good candidates already in house.
Agree it was kind of a last minute hire, but I liked him as a hire. We will see if miles is able to land someone who can not only coach offense, but recruit like a mastermind. Good connections aren't always a bad thing.

If he is to leave there should be plenty of time for miles to go searching.

Beckner is heading to Boise State at a BIG pay cut.

And it's that right there that makes me wonder. Did Beckner not like what was going on here and decide to make the move? Did staff not get along? Was it never a good fit? What was the issue?

I don't know.  We could wait for Phil to explain it in his own words, but that wouldn't be any fun, would it?

With a big pay cut, so he must've not liked what miles was doing or he felt Miles's time was running thin. Hmmm

Or maybe Miles didn't like something he saw in Beckner and suggested Dave might want to find a different place to land.

Dave?

Dave, Phil, whatever. He wasn't around long enough to remember his first name. About 5 or 6 Burnos was all.

5th time in 5 years. Eye-opening.

Let's add some common sense to this thread.

1.  Ben Johnson: Left to coach with Richard Pitino at Minnesota (e.g. Johnson's alma mater).  Johnson is originally from Minneapolis.  Hard to argue with a young coach going home to learn under Richard Pitino.  Plus, Johnson leaving led to Kenya Hunter's hiring.

2.  Craig Smith: Left to become the head coach at South Dakota St.  

3.  Chris Harriman: Left for New Mexico to become the Associate Head Coach (e.g. more responsibility).  Still maintains strong ties with Nebraska.  If Harriman wants to become a head coach some day, he needed this type of position.

4.  Rashon Burno: Left to work for Bobby Hurley (well documented that Bobby Sr. was a second father to Burno).  Burno's coming and going is pretty well laid out here: http://www.cornnation.com/2015/7/3/8889829/the-curious-timing-of-rashon-burnos-departure-nebraska-huskers-nebrasketball

5.  Phil Beckner: last minute hire to replace Burno.

The knee-jerk reaction is understandably negative.  However, looking at the time lines, things are not as bad as they seem.  Johnson, Smith and Harriman's departures were just the natural flow of their career evolution.  Burno found himself suddenly unemployed due to Billy Dovonan's unexpected move to the NBA and took the best job available.  However, another unexpected vacancy arose on Bobby Hurley's team and Burno just could not pass up the opportunity to work for a surrogate brother of sorts.  Burno's sudden, short lived departure created a mad scramble which led to the unemployed Beckner to be hired.  

Miles has always been methodical when hiring assistants, but he was forced to go with the best guy available after Burno left.  Its understandable that Miles made a mistake.  The important part is that now it appears Miles is correcting the mistake.  This feels like a non-issue.  I cannot name one recruit who we might lose as a result of Beckner leaving.  

From another board, NOT MY POST OR INSIGHT:

"FWIW one of my friends is a manager for the basketball team and he said that this is was not a surprise at all. From his experience working with the team throughout the year Beckner was not a fit in the locker room and was not generally liked by any of the players. He told me about a month ago that he didn't expect Beckner to be back next year and that Miles was helping him to find another landing spot. I almost compare it to a Hank Hughes situation where he may be a good coach and very knowledgable (ex. his work with Damian Lillard) but he couldn't connect or relate to the players on the roster and its for the best that he is moving on. Take it for what its worth."

Again, just taking a quote from another board. Not my information. Delete if needed.

My biggest takeaway from this being the 5th assistant after 5 years is that every time Miles says he's going to take his time to find the best guy for the job.  I don't think he had the luxury of that sort of time frame after Burno jumped ship.  Hasn't anyone ever worked somewhere that needed a rush hire and it unfortunately didn't work out?

With a big pay cut, so he must've not liked what miles was doing or he felt Miles's time was running thin. Hmmm

Or maybe Miles didn't like something he saw in Beckner and suggested Dave might want to find a different place to land.

Dave?

Dave, Phil, whatever. He wasn't around long enough to remember his first name. About 5 or 6 Burnos was all.

Post of the week Normie

I hope Ali gets promoted now although I have no inside information on his performance while he has been here. He just seems like a good guy and it would alleviate any more angst about another "coaching search" if the deal can be announced quickly. Plus, it would teach us all to be able to spell Farokhmanesh.

Why would Miles quickly name someone to an assistant position when that is why we're looking for another assistant?

I really think he should take a look at someone internally. We at least know that Eaton can recruit as he found Horne.  However I'm sure he'll spend plenty of time looking around externally if he hasn't been already.

Apparently Phil is really close with the Boise St. coaches, which carried some weight in this decision.

Jeff Linder

Prior to joining USF, Linder spent two seasons as part of Randy Rahe's staff at Weber State. During his stint Linder helped the Wildcats to a 36-26 overall record, and in 2006-07 the Wildcats won the Big Sky Conference regular season and tournament titles and earned a trip to the NCAA Tournament. Linder also recruited Damian Lillard to Weber State, who was selected sixth-overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2012 NBA Draft.

If you look at it from Beckner's POV, you make the jump to the D-League from Weber St. and it doesn't work out and now you're working basketball camps for a paycheck. Then by chance this position opens up and you land it. However, in the back of your mind you still remember what it was like to not be employed.  Thus, when a spot like this opens up with someone who you've worked with before and is on the same wavelength as you, taking a paycut and not worrying if you're going to get blindsided again sounds pretty good, no?