NAT NAT to transfer to Washington

Bugeaters1

Losing Romeo and Cincore can be devastating to this program.  A major rebuilding effort will be in order.  Have there been many more popular players with the fans than Romeo?  

If the dismissal of Coach Yori is for "cause" then why the $1,000,000 buyout? 

The new coach has a tough, tough task and the Husker faithful need to get behind the program to overcome this very, very large stumbling block.

Losing Romeo and Cincore can be devastating to this program.  A major rebuilding effort will be in order.  Have there been many more popular players with the fans than Romeo?  

The new coach has a tough, tough task and the Husker faithful need to get behind the program to overcome this very, very large stumbling block.

Losing Cincore from a basketball standpoint would be nowhere near devastating.   I wouldn't put Romeo and Cincore in the same sentence here.  

Very interesting read.

The statement that the team was not "in sync" late in the season, and a conflict (a conflict with Yori) by one player that's transferring.

Did watch the video?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes....watched the video....and you know what...it probably makes a lot of sense. And some of the video conversation may be close to the what really has taken place.

Just a guess, but.....Connie may have just burned out, and with the troubling divorce, she could have tuned out a little (maybe not the right phrase)....to some extent.

And yes, maybe it simply was time. Time to go separate ways.  And Connie could see the hand writing on the wall with the investigation...and just said.... that's enough....I'm gone. Hate to see her go, but maybe it's best for all involved now. It is done. So move on and forward.

I've seen more than once in business, where a long time employee just kind of burns out due to work and family problems.  They just need to start anew, to refresh and evaluate where their life is going, and what to do next.

Will have to watch it a second time....sure does make more sense to the whole thing anyway. Some not so much...but a good listen anyway.

I watched it.  I have a ton of respect for Sam.  I think he is a superb writer and a deep thinker.  He is the best football guy I have ever read.  But I thought that interview was his worst work ever, and I have read him since he was at the Nebraska State Paper.  Just incredibly harsh toward Yori and the accomplishments of the teams on her watch.  Very unrealistic about the sport of basketball at UNL.  Made it sound like it will be a piece of cake to just hire any 'ol coach now and have her/him be as good or better than Yori.  That's not gonna be easy.  

I think Sam is one of the better writers that the herald has. And it was just an interesting take IMO. But do agree with most that you said HB.

She wasn't dismissed, she resigned.

Right.  That's why they still paid her nearly 80% of her buyout.  

Is this pay out due at the time of her leaving or is there a waiting period?

She wasn't dismissed, she resigned.

Right.  That's why they still paid her nearly 80% of her buyout.  

Is this pay out due at the time of her leaving or is there a waiting period?

It was detailed by the OWH...a couple of lump sums, one this year, one next year + her accrued vacation.

I believe that the document detailing this will be released this monday

Pretty demoralizing right now on the women's BB front.

The first job of any new coach was and still is to recruit every single player and recruit back. Micole still doesn't want to play in Cali so that particular recruiting job isn't impossible.  Also, I'd hope we err on taking the time to hire the right person at the expense of losing a few players.

The first job of any new coach was and still is to recruit every single player and recruit back. Micole still doesn't want to play in Cali so that particular recruiting job isn't impossible.  Also, I'd hope we err on taking the time to hire the right person at the expense of losing a few players.

All true, but it still is painful to watch happen.  Plus if there are multiple transfers plus some lost recruits, you hate to see rebuilding while we have a bonafide top 5 national recruit here.  I'll believe a splash hire who can immediately recruit when I see it.  

All true, but it still is painful to watch happen.  Plus if there are multiple transfers plus some lost recruits, you hate to see rebuilding while we have a bonafide top 5 national recruit here.  I'll believe a splash hire who can immediately recruit when I see it.

True, when was the last time Nebraska had such a hire?

Very true...it's a lot easier for me as I don't nearly have the amount of emotional attachment to all of these players and recruits as many of you do.  I can only talk from the experience of going through a coaching transition. Not sure if a "splash hire" is necessary because this is a good program with a lot of good players already on roster. It would also seem like the "obvious" candidate in the form of former player and current up-and-coming coach Amy Williams is just sitting there for us to hire.

Do you think the reports of a divided team could cause a coach to pass on the Husker job?

If were me....not really. But you would have to give it some consideration.

Does make you wonder about all the "rumors", and "investigation" ...it all does make for second thoughts.

But in Williams case she's pretty close to UNL, so probably doesn't have as much impact as maybe some other candidate from afar.

Very true...it's a lot easier for me as I don't nearly have the amount of emotional attachment to all of these players and recruits as many of you do.  I can only talk from the experience of going through a coaching transition. Not sure if a "splash hire" is necessary because this is a good program with a lot of good players already on roster. It would also seem like the "obvious" candidate in the form of former player and current up-and-coming coach Amy Williams is just sitting there for us to hire.

Good point on the emotional attachment.  Women's basketball is a different culture.

We need players. You can't lose a player the caliber of Romeo and not leave a big hole in the lineup.  If we leak a bunch of recruits in addition it's a serious problem   So whoever the coach is she/he will have some immediate big-time work to do:  Player retention, signed recruit retention, and hire a staff which can recruit at the level we need to be in the top half of the conference.

Can Williams recruit nationally?  Does she have the connections with AAU coaches to recruit  different caliber athletes than she has been playing with in Vermilion?  Will she be able to attract assistants who have the recruiting chops necessary to compete at this level?  I sure hope so, but I would say it's far from proven or a given.   

I have heard that Williams is also a candidate for the Arizona job.  Personally, I think Nebraska would be a better place to land than Arizona.  Do you think the reports of a divided team could cause a coach to pass on the Husker job

I, also, would argue no... Heck no!

She's confident in her abilities, I'm sure. She'd probably say... Coach Yori's problems aren't my problems. I won't have those problems. I can manage a team. I know how to deal with any malcontents.

All things point to her taking this job. Her silence on the SD net. She is a Husker. It's the next step in a career. This opportunity may NEVER come again in her lifetime. It's a Power 5 conference. With few exceptions they fly chartered jets to and from games. A tremendous fan base. Even with injuries this very young team was in the middle of the pack in Big 10 play (no "rebuilding").

I Goggled "women's basketball coach salary" one of the articles (from 2010) said the average salary was in the vicinity of (IVO) $171K. So you figure she'd get a nice bump in salary too.

Well, if it is Amy Williams, I sure hope there is an announcement within the next few days.  I suppose they could be negotiating right now assuming it is her.  She won't make as much as Yori, but she should make considerably more than what she makes at USD. 

Vermilion folks are claiming she is heading south with a $500,000 raise.   I have no idea whether any of it is accurate.  

Well, if it is Amy Williams, I sure hope there is an announcement within the next few days. I suppose they could be negotiating right now assuming it is her. She won't make as much as Yori, but she should make considerably more than what she makes at USD.

Vermilion folks are claiming she is heading south with a $500,000 raise. I have no idea whether any of it is accurate.

I think posted earlier that her salary @ South Dakota was 180,000. So that would put her in 680 to 700 thousand dollar range.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk