Future of Nebraska Women's Basketball

Fastbreaker

I have heard things today that are bothering me greatly.  It is looking to me as Jan Bethea’s suit and administration overreaction may have brought this whole episode.

It was reported that 10 players agreed with the accusations.  Yet five players today have came out in public support of Connie.  The math does not work.  The media has been swamped with former players in support of Coach.  Nat Romero was crying when she heard the news.  Mark Sheppard, Jesses dad, was asked if Jess was going to stay.  He said she replied, ‘As long as Coach Yori is here.’  This is all scaring me for the near future of Nebraska Women’s Basketball.  I am guessing that the 10 players that were supposedly agreeing with the accusations were asked a generic question like ‘ Has Coach Yori ever yelled at you’.

Well it is all done now.  Coach Amy Williams of the University of South Dakota has been contacted.

I have heard things today that are bothering me greatly.  It is looking to me as Jan Bethea’s suit and administration overreaction may have brought this whole episode.

It was reported that 10 players agreed with the accusations.  Yet five players today have came out in public support of Connie.  The math does not work.  The media has been swamped with former players in support of Coach.  Nat Romero was crying when she heard the news.  Mark Sheppard, Jesses dad, was asked if Jess was going to stay.  He said she replied, ‘As long as Coach Yori is here.’  This is all scaring me for the near future of Nebraska Women’s Basketball.  I am guessing that the 10 players that were supposedly agreeing with the accusations were asked a generic question like ‘ Has Coach Yori ever yelled at you’.

Well it is all done now.  Coach Amy Williams of the University of South Dakota has been contacted.

Heard this yesterday (about administration having already had conversations with Williams).  Now, IF she is the choice, is she a coach who will:  1st keep the returning players here; 2nd keep those who signed their LOI's from asking for a release, and 3rd be able to recruit at a high enough level to be competitive in the upper third of the BIG?

I know nothing about Williams so just wondering from those who may know more.

Mark Sheppard, Jesses dad, was asked if Jess was going to stay.  

Mark Shepard, the father of Nebraska Big Ten Freshman of the Year Jessica Shepard, said the Fremont native and Husker star is likely to stick with NU after the resignation of coach Connie Yori. 

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/women-s-basketball-father-of-jessica-shepard-talks-about-connie/article_2543fd00-fc33-11e5-a60b-971120c1acab.html

Our next coach really depends on what happens in the Athletic Department. Things aren't looking good for Eichorst. Will he even be around for much longer? Let's say he gets fired: does Eichorst try to hire someone quickly before he leaves? If not, who will be his replacement and do they know anything about women's basketball to make a solid hire?

But let's say Eichorst stays. What does he know about women's basketball? I'm not confident he'll make a good hire. 

I'm with you 100% cyinne. The fans who are still Pellini fans and dislike Eichorst for firing him and hiring Mike Riley need to wake up and smell the roses. Pellini was weak on class and tact and I was and continue to be thrilled with the hire of Mike Riley. I feel confident that our athletic director will make a hire that more then fills our needs and will continue the building of our WBB program that Connie Yori was a big part of. I think the last year or two as has been noted by several individuals have snow balled on Connie and an intervention was needed. Best of luck to her going forward and thanks for everything she did in building the program.

I'm with you 100% cyinne. The fans who are still Pellini fans and dislike Eichorst for firing him and hiring Mike Riley need to wake up and smell the roses. Pellini was weak on class and tact and I was and continue to be thrilled with the hire of Mike Riley. I feel confident that our athletic director will make a hire that more then fills our needs and will continue the building of our WBB program that Connie Yori was a big part of. I think the last year or two as has been noted by several individuals have snow balled on Connie and an intervention was needed. Best of luck to her going forward and thanks for everything she did in building the program.

second that!  coming from someone who supported Pellini---until the last few years. i realized he was not good for nebraska.

The fans who are still Pellini fans and dislike Eichorst for firing him 

Sort of like what is being made of reported player mistreatment here, if Eichorst was ever to be let go it's going to be for issues in the department, not the divisive Pelini era.

What are you people thinking.... Eichorst fired? What does he know about women's basketball? Maybe someone will go over his head?

I don't get this either. We're going to fire the AD shortly after the women's coach and we're going to bring in another AD who specializes in women's basketball and this is going to be done by the chancellor that was announced yesterday? That sort of timeline of events is remarkably improbable. 

I am glad Pelini  is gone, you are spot on with his character flaws.  That said, just because Eichorst fired him does NOT make Shawn a good AD or a bad AD.  I have read reports that the folks in Miami were thrilled to see him gone.  I have read reports that the AD's office is starting to resemble the AD's office in the Steve Pederson years (not a good thing).  No I am not one that thinks TO should have had a say in the football coach hire, he had "retired" (another HP issue) and needed to step away.  I just hope whomever hires our next women's basketball coach looks high and low and finds the best fit for the school.

Speaking of Eichorst - how many noticed him sitting behind the bench during the women's games later in the season?  Oftentimes with Mike Riley.  Personally, I wouldn't want my boss sitting over my shoulder as I'm trying to work.  Given what I had heard that he wasn't necessarily the most visible AD, I should have seen it as a red flag.

Listen, there are plenty of reasons not to care for Shawn Eichorst that have nothing to do with football.

Having said that, I'm surprised that you give the benefit of the doubt to an AD who hasn't been here very long and hasn't been very visible when here, except for a certain firing.

But you're not willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the most successful coach in program history who's been around for 14 years.

You feel confident in our athletic director; you feel the last couple of years has snow-balled on our coach.

Hmmmmm.

Ya, well, time will tell as it always does. I take the approach in life that everything happens for a reason. Time to put a positive spin on things and move forward.

Agree and I hope the women's basketball program fans do this a lot better than the football fans have.  The vile still being spewed about the past coach is silly.  He is gone and needed to be.  I hope in a year folks who are happy about this change in our women's program are discussing the new direction and not the old.

Many have forgotten that several people within the athletic department were given their walking papers. like Paul Meyers, that was  UNL fundraising guru for large donors. He and a couple more... long time very accomplished staffers.... were let go by Eichorst so he could put his own crowd in the athletic department, to be the way he wanted things.

I don't miss Pelini's rants at all. It's fine by me he's gone. It's Eichorst's hire that was questionable. Riley may pull it out yet, we'll see how it works out in another couple of years.  But without a doubt the hire wasn't well received by everyone. It really split the fan base for a while. But that's all for the football forum.

But it does lead to the "iffyness" of Eichorst ability to hire...and his ability to fire...Yori.  This whole thing of Yori leaving is a bit mysterious....for the lack of another word.

My opinion: Seems a little like paranoia about a few complainers got ahead of cooler heads. We'll never probably know.

No matter who gets hired to replace Connie.... they will first take care of assuring the players (current and recruits) that they are going to be taken care of, and all will be well for them on the team.  Kind of a no brainer for a new coach. Might keep some of the staff too for continuity...that's up to the new coach.

I'm very very optimistic about the future of the team. It's already was in a pretty good place, and new coaching may even enhance the team. If it's SD's Williams so be it. She's seems pretty good and get very positive "vibes" (sp) from what I've heard and seen.

Time to move on....I can't wait for the new Husker women's 2016-2017 team to hit the floor !

I don't miss Pelini's rants at all. It's fine by me he's gone. It's Eichorst's hire that was questionable. Riley may pull it out yet, we'll see how it works out in another couple of years.  But without a doubt the hire wasn't well received by everyone. It really split the fan base for a while. But that's all for the football forum.

But it does lead to the "iffyness" of Eichorst ability to hire...and his ability to fire...Yori.  This whole thing of Yori leaving is a bit mysterious....for the lack of another word.

The hire of Jim Larranaga at Miami turned out to be a pretty good move by Eichorst.

Speaking of Eichorst - how many noticed him sitting behind the bench during the women's games later in the season? Oftentimes with Mike Riley. Personally, I wouldn't want my boss sitting over my shoulder as I'm trying to work. Given what I had heard that he wasn't necessarily the most visible AD, I should have seen it as a red flag.

So the guy is never visible or out showing support for our teams but when he does he is sitting over their shoulder? The guy can't win. And for every negative story you guys have heard 3rd hand about Eichorst and the AD I've heard at least 5 positive ones. Those who are negative are the loudest are always the most outspoken. When things are going well you hardly hear a peep. Our fans never cease to disappoint me.

Also one more little thing that is being over looked. That little Board of Regents meeting from a few weeks ago that Eichorst was invited to was not in regards to his job, most if it was in regards to the pending legal action against the University in regards to women's basketball. It is way bigger than a few thin skinned basketball players.

Speaking of Eichorst - how many noticed him sitting behind the bench during the women's games later in the season? Oftentimes with Mike Riley. Personally, I wouldn't want my boss sitting over my shoulder as I'm trying to work. Given what I had heard that he wasn't necessarily the most visible AD, I should have seen it as a red flag.

So the guy is never visible or out showing support for our teams but when he does he is sitting over their shoulder? The guy can't win. And for every negative story you guys have heard 3rd hand about Eichorst and the AD I've heard at least 5 positive ones. Those who are negative are the loudest are always the most outspoken. When things are going well you hardly hear a peep. Our fans never cease to disappoint me.

Well, Haymarket, it's equally disappointing to me that most fans can only approach Eichorst through a Pelini lens.  If they didn't like Pelini and wanted him gone, Eichorst can do no wrong. If they were loyal Bo backers to the end, Eichorst can do no right.  I have met the man several times and have seen him in action.  I know many people in the athletic department and have some insight into the culture there and how things are run, and certain things that have happened.  I wish people could understand that there is a lot more to it than whether and how he fired Bo.  I have yet to find a Pelini hater acknowledge that Eichorst has ever made a mistake in his life.  Now, let's carry this discussion further in a Haymarket drinking establishment.  

Also one more little thing that is being over looked. That little Board of Regents meeting from a few weeks ago that Eichorst was invited to was not in regards to his job, most if it was in regards to the pending legal action against the University in regards to women's basketball. It is way bigger than a few thin skinned basketball players.

I noticed him as sat just to the right me and Pearlman there as well but to my left and behind me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In the past with ADs that went to basketball games, they did not sit directly behind the bench.  In fact, he wasn't even in a PBA seat but in a chair directly behind the bench.  So, yes, he was sitting right behind her.  I have not seen an AD do that before at one of our women's basketball games.  Just telling you what I saw.  In light of the stories in the media, there was a reason he was there.