New Coach Thread

huskerchode

I'm Nicea Eliely's dad & we've spoken to 2 of the assistants. So far we're still committed to NU bc it's such a great place/University/program. We'll see who the new head coach will be, but we're mainly hopeful that the current assistant coaching staff stays. Britney Brown was one of the main reasons we committed to NU. She began recruiting Nicea when she was at Tulsa and after she came to Nebraska she followed Nicea & had Connie come watch her play which led to them offering her a scholarship. Either way we hope the process goes quickly & smoothly. It will be challenging for everybody seeing as we're (incoming freshman) are due to report in June for summer classes & workouts. We're just as intrigued as all of you guys!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, and Nebraska !  

This forum can get a little crazy at times, but we're all simply highly engaged Husker fans.

Yes, we're all very hopeful that the coaching hire will be quick and most of all smooth for the players. Your daughter seems to be a great fit for Nebraska.

You probably already know but....We have great facilities, and a loyal...and huge fan base. Maybe most of all NU is a highly regarded research university that can provide the basis for a successful life beyond school.

Welcome !

Okay I'll throw my name out there Tony Verde he was an assistant for Yuri and then went to Kansas I don't know where he's at now but that might be someone to look into also

It's Tory Verdi and we don't want him. He's currently at Eastern Washington.
And why don't we want him?

I thought he was a jerk from my encounters with him.

So it's not coaching ability as to why you don't want him> Lots of coaches are jerks, I'm sure Yori could be a jerk as well, but she was a damn good coach.

Maybe the program will look at the South Dakota St. coach to gage his interest.  Any thoughts on Jim Flannery at Creighton?

Flannery isn't remotely up to this job.  He's had a very mediocre tenure at Crayton.  He's had plenty of time.   We should aspire to much more.  

I'm Nicea Eliely's dad & we've spoken to 2 of the assistants. So far we're still committed to NU bc it's such a great place/University/program. We'll see who the new head coach will be, but we're mainly hopeful that the current assistant coaching staff stays. Britney Brown was one of the main reasons we committed to NU. She began recruiting Nicea when she was at Tulsa and after she came to Nebraska she followed Nicea & had Connie come watch her play which led to them offering her a scholarship. Either way we hope the process goes quickly & smoothly. It will be challenging for everybody seeing as we're (incoming freshman) are due to report in June for summer classes & workouts. We're just as intrigued as all of you guys!!

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.  We look forward to watching Nicea play ball.

It's been a rough couple of weeks around here.   Most of us are reeling a bit.  But during the rough times it's important to remember what is still solid:  A great state, with the most wonderful people.  A great University.  A remarkable and loyal fan base.  A great city, and outstanding facilities in which to play.   Here's to hoping we hire a great coach to carry on a proud tradition of women's basketball here at NU.  

Redsteve & HB thank you! And yes all of what you stated were ALL huge reasons why we choose Nebraska. Nicea had 25 offers & we were blown away on our visit to Nebraska. The facilities, the education/opportunities B1G bball, and the people/fans in Lincoln were amazing! Just to kind of add on (again) we loved Coach Brown & Coach Ford. Britney reached out to me& Ashley called my Nicea right away. We're all just waiting to see what happens..my opinion on Flannery is that I agree he's not "great" enough for the NU program. Creighton recruited Nicea & we reviewed his body of work and were just kinda like meh. I'm not as knowledgeable as many of you are with women's college coaches so I enjoy the discussion & everyone's input. Again thanks welcoming us! We hope the hiring process goes well bc we love NU & would hate to go somewhere else!

i would hope they go after Walz hard. if you want the program to take the next step, imo, that's where you go. may have no interest, but, you have to find out. would also look at the Williams------Amy at USD and Ryun at CSU. 

thorough but quick, please. i just hope whoever can smooth things out with the incoming class---and the current roster as far as that goes. i was feeling pretty optimistic with the new class. sigh.

I'm just wondering if Walz would leave Louisville.  He has excellent recruits, a lot of recent success, they are usually in the top 10-15 every year, and he makes excellent $$$.  Not sure what would prompt him to leave that situation, unless there was a lot more money thrown at him, in which case Louisville may counter to keep him.  However, if the goal is to build a very strong WBB program at NU and get them over the hump of getting to the next level (elite 8 appearances, some conference titles and consistently competitive with the top of the league), then I would think they need to go after him.

Ryun Williams or Amy Williams may very well be able to get NU to a higher level as well, and for less money to start with.

Weird situation at NU right now with a chancellor search taking place, possible AD issues, and now looking for a new coach.

I'm just wondering if Walz would leave Louisville.  He has excellent recruits, a lot of recent success, they are usually in the top 10-15 every year, and he makes excellent $$$. 

No one has yet to mention in this thread that Walz is from Kentucky.

I'm just wondering if Walz would leave Louisville. He has excellent recruits, a lot of recent success, they are usually in the top 10-15 every year, and he makes excellent $$$. Not sure what would prompt him to leave that situation, unless there was a lot more money thrown at him, in which case Louisville may counter to keep him. However, if the goal is to build a very strong WBB program at NU and get them over the hump of getting to the next level (elite 8 appearances, some conference titles and consistently competitive with the top of the league), then I would think they need to go after him.

Ryun Williams or Amy Williams may very well be able to get NU to a higher level as well, and for less money to start with.

Weird situation at NU right now with a chancellor search taking place, possible AD issues, and now looking for a new coach.

Jeff is very happy with his current seven figure situation in his home state. While I would love to have someone I can call a friend back running the program in Lincoln, it's not very likely.

understand it would be one heckuva coup to get Walz, but, imo you have to try. if someone gave me a "boatload" full of money, but, i had to bet it all on the type of coach, i would put it on the category of "new up and comer".

OR, maybe i could just put it toward Walz?!? :D

It's going to come down to a lot more than money for him. He's got a very good situation for his family there in Louisville.

For incoming freshmen it has to be a tough situation.  All of these recruits have multiple offers at good schools so they will have choices.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Tough situation for returning players as well.  That will also be very interesting to see how it plays out.  Hopefully we can get a reasonably quick hire who can earn the trust of the players and recruits.  But part of that might depend on the systems the coach plans to install.  

I don't follow the program as much as I should...or womans basketball for that matter. But, what about Becky Hammon? No head coaching experience but would certainly be a "splash" hire.

And why would she leave a job with the SPURS to coach WBB at Nebraska?

I can't say for sure...but my guess is she would be making more money at Nebraska than she would be at the Spurs.  She wouldn't be the first, or last NBA coach to join the college ranks.  And maybe she want's total control over a program? I'm not sure.  Probably zero percent chance of it happening or Nebraska even being interested as I imagine we will want someone with experience. 

He would loose more games in the first month then he has in his whole career.  Also it isn't about X and O's it is about making your stars happy.  And he doesn't do that with his women's team how could he do it with millionaire"s?