Yori Resigns

hskr4life

Thought it was fairly humorous that Rosenthal reports that "a former director of operations" is his source for some of the information about the lying she was asked to do, and some forms of discrimination...

There's literally only one other director of operations than the current one (Finch) - Jan Bethae, who basically had been there since 09-10, and no one else has ever held that title before her.

edit: wrong date

Incorrect. Before Jan the operations director was Angela Timmons Kiffin and before her was Aubrey Eblin.

Edit: I'm not implying they may have complaints, just noting that your facts are wrong.

According to the website none of those people are listed that way on the Husker.com roster. So if that's what role they were, that's fine.

Thought it was fairly humorous that Rosenthal reports that "a former director of operations" is his source for some of the information about the lying she was asked to do, and some forms of discrimination...

There's literally only one other director of operations than the current one (Finch) - Jan Bethae, who basically had been there since 09-10, and no one else has ever held that title before her.

Incorrect. Before Jan the operations director was Angela Timmons Kiffin and before her was Aubrey Eblin.

Edit: I'm not implying they may have complaints, just noting that your facts are wrong.

According to the website none of those people are listed that way on the Husker.com roster. So if that's what role they were, that's fine.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=121699&SPID=25&SPSID=29

I'm just going to throw this out there about coaching changes and resignations/firings/players.

I've been a part of a coaching change where the two best players had a meeting with the AD where they said they probably weren't coming back if the current coach was retained. Then when the coach was fired/retained, they commented in the paper they had no idea what was going on, they loved their coach, and couldn't see themselves playing for anyone else.

They stayed around the next year and played for the new coach. I remember accidentally over hearing them talking in the locker room about how they missed something the old coach used to do... I had to bite my tongue and walk away.

People save face in the media... And kids are kids.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=121699&SPID=25&SPSID=29
I got ya...

I was just going off of these http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=25&SPSID=32&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2005

Although it's looking as if I was accidentally right anyways.

I got ya...

I was just going off of these http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=25&SPSID=32&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2005

Although it's looking as if I was accidentally right anyways.

Well, I can tell you that Dayna Finch was never a strength coach. The strength coach that season was Travis Reust.

Interesting.

So, Jan Bethea is alleging discrimination.  Hmmmmmmm.

THIS Journal Star article talks about Ashley Ford joining the program as an assistant coach, and Dayna Finch -- who had had 3 kids in about as many years -- sliding over into the DOBO role after Jan Bethea left "for personal reasons" earlier that month.

So Bethea leaves for "personal reasons," which conveniently opens up a DOBO position for Finch that better fits the demands of her growing family, and then Ford is able to join the program, all within a couple of week's time.  That's really fast turnaround.

The LJS article is dated 6/15/2015 and references Bethea leaving "earlier this month."  That's no more than 2 weeks.  And suddenly Ashley Ford materializes?  To take the spot vacated by Dayna Finch who took the spot vacated by Jan Bethea?  And now Bethea says discrimination?

Hmmmmm.

Edited to add:  This might go further to explain the whole resignation thing than players complaining of mistreatment.  Or a combination of the two situations, maybe.  But, suddenly, a bit of a lightbulb goes on in this situation.

"Personal Reasons"

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/former-women-s-hoops-staffer-says-she-filed-discrimination-complaint/article_256e341c-a9b0-5dcd-9c14-624902862dc7.html

Why did Bethea leave Nebraska?

“Well, the official statement is I left for personal reasons, but I’m filing a case, so I think that’s pretty clear-cut right there,” she said.

Bethea said she is frustrated that players are being “trampled” for coming forward with concerns. Someone with a blocked number called Bethea to rant about the players who have been critical of their treatment in the program.

“And what I said to him, and what I want to say to other people, is you will never win that debate with me or the former players or whoever, because you never walked in their shoes," Bethea said. "And until you walk in somebody’s shoes, you don’t know what they go through. I think it’s great that the former players want to come out for their coach, because they’re telling their truth. What I don’t like is that they’re trampling on somebody else’s truth.”

Bethea said people should not judge players who say they had a different experience from the ones who have spoken in support of Yori.

“I just want to say that nobody knows what’s going on but those players, so I think it’s unfair for former players to call them soft,” Bethea said. “Usually, people who are being treated unfairly are the ones who are solid. The people who are being treated OK, they are the ones who are going to be the loudest. In this whole mayhem and this whole scandal, if you want to call it that, it has to be taken into context (the players are) still 18- to 22-year-old kids, young ladies, who are going through a difficult time right now, and to have that questioned by other people I think is unfair.”

Jan is a high character individual and her comments should not be taken lightly. But so are the other people involved in this situation. Very tough. Don't envy anyone involved (well, except for the next coach that's going to walk into a new paycheck, decked out office and facilities, and a brand new arena, with an all-American).

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Yes, you don't get the highway just because your tough in practice.  That can be fixed in a couple of meetings...unless the coach say's that's BS and I won't change anything.....  and that's not Yori.

There's indefinably more to the story, and we may never know the whole truth.

My own thoughts...but Eickhorst (sp) may have more to with this that we can guess. He has taken a lot of heat over Riley's hiring.  May be gun shy to make any more mistakes....before his boss gets changed pretty soon.

My wife told me to stay out of this, but I can't...

I understand the emotion I see in some of these postings.  Coach Yori did great things for Nebraska’s WBB program.  She put Nebraska WBB on the proverbial map.  Her recruiting is stellar.  That said...  I recommend some folks step back and look at the situation from a more analytical point of view. 

I think Redsteve & Norm are “on course and on glide path.”    i.e. Right on target...   There is... "…more to the story, and we may never know the whole truth."

One thing is certain…  The coach who has the most wins in Nebraska WBB history and who has been in the saddle for 14 years isn't released due to a few players complaining about hard practices.  I see no logic in arguing otherwise. 

I’d argue that anyone who seriously believes the current players' complaints were the catalyst for this action has no experience in leading any type of unit, team, or group.  Every leader knows that a certain percentage of the troops/players will always complain…  Regardless of what you do/don’t do.  So players complaining about how hard practice would be greeted with a full cup of... shut the heck up.  Next slide... 

The only facts we know:

1. There was an investigation (We don’t know what initiated it).
  2. Players and staff were questioned.
  3. None of us know the results of the investigation.

Assumptions: 

1. The investigation uncovered a problem.
  2. It was a serious problem; otherwise, you don't fire/release an extremely successful head coach.   

Only a very few people know the results of the investigation.  As stated earlier, none of us know.  My girl is on the team and she doesn’t know.  During the investigation she was called in to answer questions.  I’m not sure what was asked, but I know my girl.  She answered honestly.  She reported what she saw and experienced.  She harbored no grudge against Coach Yori.  I know she never felt abused during practice.  She said that practice was hard but certainly never abusive.    

Connie Yori was always nice to me and my family.  I have no bad words to say about her. 

On another note…  Rachel sent me a screenshot of an extremely nasty tweet that someone (weather 69 or weatherman 69) sent to one of her teammates.  That type of thing is beyond reprehensible.  Fans can be such jerks.

One day we might know the investigation’s results.  Maybe the university will get pressured in to letting the public know what went down. 

Until then, this wound needs to begin healing.  The “new coach” thread is probably where we should be concentrating.  That is the 50 meter target that, it seems to me, needs to engaged quickly and decisively.  Our worst nightmare is some of our girls leave due to this action. We need a quality coach who can assuage any player angst. 

Bottom Line:  The Coach Yori era is over.  Was it fair how it ended???  We don't know.  We do know that life isn't fair.  She did fantastic things for Nebraska WBB.  We wish her Godspeed moving forward in her life. 

Moving Forward:  Let’s get a great coach…  We’ll need one… In just over 200 days we play UConn.

I'm assuming since there was a lawsuit filed, the university has been advised not to say anything at this point.  I, too, believe it has more to do with that than some player complaints.  I also was under the impression when I read in the paper that 10 players had been contacted and questioned.  Now I'm thinking some of those may not be current players but instead some former players, likely ones that left before their eligibility was over.  Probably didn't give a glowing recommendation.  But that is a handful out of many many players.

I also think Yori needs the time to get her personal life in order.  What a nightmare divorce can be.  She is used to going 100 mph every day as a coach at a big time school, then throw in the stress of what sounds like an ugly divorce on top of that.  I would want to tear my hair out.  Her priority right now, I'm sure, is her son.  Maybe she was asked to step down, maybe she just decided to for her sake and her son's sake.

It will be interesting to see where she winds up someday.  I would not be surprised if she takes a year or two to step back and have things settle down.  Some of it will depend on what is happening regarding the lawsuit.  I could see her eventually coaching in the WNBA if she decides to go that route, first as an assistant and then moving up after a while.

Wow.  That's some kind of indictment of some of the current players (not naming names, of course.)

his list for dates just got shorter!   :lol:

Not really.  ;)

I'm assuming since there was a lawsuit filed, the university has been advised not to say anything at this point.  I, too, believe it has more to do with that than some player complaints.  I also was under the impression when I read in the paper that 10 players had been contacted and questioned.  Now I'm thinking some of those may not be current players but instead some former players, likely ones that left before their eligibility was over.  Probably didn't give a glowing recommendation.  But that is a handful out of many many players.

I also think Yori needs the time to get her personal life in order.  What a nightmare divorce can be.  She is used to going 100 mph every day as a coach at a big time school, then throw in the stress of what sounds like an ugly divorce on top of that.  I would want to tear my hair out.  Her priority right now, I'm sure, is her son.  Maybe she was asked to step down, maybe she just decided to for her sake and her son's sake.

It will be interesting to see where she winds up someday.  I would not be surprised if she takes a year or two to step back and have things settle down.  Some of it will depend on what is happening regarding the lawsuit.  I could see her eventually coaching in the WNBA if she decides to go that route, first as an assistant and then moving up after a while.

Just to clarify:  Bethea hasn't yet filed a lawsuit, although I suspect one is coming eventually.  At this point, she has filed an administrative EEOC Complaint.  

Just to clarify:  Bethea hasn't yet filed a lawsuit, although I suspect one is coming eventually.  At this point, she has filed an administrative EEOC Complaint.  

Thanks, HB.  I realized I may have jumped the gun with that statement.  I expect there will be one in the future.  I imagine the university lawyers are on top of it and advising everyone.

Also you have to realize that this practice player was most likely very loyal to CY for giving him this opportunity. He will most likely say just about anything that speaks well of CY the way she ran practices. I'm not saying he is lying, he is just telling it as he believes it to be. If that is wrong or right, who knows.

The larger problem, Schlautman said, was a lack of “player leadership” and an “unwillingness” to be coached. He described situations in which a player refused to run back downcourt on defense after made baskets, and another in which a player, after several prompts from the coaching staff, wouldn’t raise her hands on defense.

Wonder who that was???  You'd be surprised who that is...  I'll leave it at that...  I'll just leave it at that. 

Also you have to realize that this practice player was most likely very loyal to CY for giving him this opportunity. He will most likely say just about anything that speaks well of CY the way she ran practices. I'm not saying he is lying, he is just telling it as he believes it to be. If that is wrong or right, who knows.

What opportunity would that be? 

These practice players aren't on scholarship.  I'm not sure what they get out of being practice players for WBB, but I don't imagine it's very much.  Not sure why he'd be any more or less loyal than any of the players or staff.

But he does have more direct, first-hand knowledge about practices than anyone else who has come forward to talk about them.  So ...

We graduated 4 veteran players last year.  I'm sure there was a huge difference in leadership this year for that reason alone.  We have a very young team.  I remember reading comments from Lindsey Moore in the paper that she thought Yori was somewhat easier in practice this year with the players (not exact words, but something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong).  Probably because of the team's youth.  

However, I would expect those things to improve as the season progressed.  Maybe they didn't.  Maybe the reason they didn't was due to Theriot's injury.  Maybe some players didn't like the fact that Kyndal came in and started right away and weren't too keen to recognize her leadership ability.  These are all just maybes.  Just maybe.  But none of them quit first semester and enrolled elsewhere second semester.  They all stuck with it.

I was also under the impression that a group of players approached the administration with concerns.  Was that necessarily about tough practices?  Or could they have been concerned about Yori and the stress she was under?  Maybe it was more along the lines of "We are really worried about our coach because we can see she is having a rough time right now". 

The larger problem, Schlautman said, was a lack of “player leadership” and an “unwillingness” to be coached. He described situations in which a player refused to run back downcourt on defense after made baskets, and another in which a player, after several prompts from the coaching staff, wouldn’t raise her hands on defense.

Wonder who that was???  You'd be surprised who that is...  I'll leave it at that...  I'll just leave it at that. 

:o  ;)

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Yes, you don't get the highway just because your tough in practice.  That can be fixed in a couple of meetings...unless the coach say's that's BS and I won't change anything.....  and that's not Yori.

There's indefinably more to the story, and we may never know the whole truth.

My own thoughts...but Eickhorst (sp) may have more to with this that we can guess. He has taken a lot of heat over Riley's hiring.  May be gun shy to make any more mistakes....before his boss gets changed pretty soon.

My wife told me to stay out of this, but I can't...

I understand the emotion I see in some of these postings.  Coach Yori did great things for Nebraska’s WBB program.  She put Nebraska WBB on the proverbial map.  Her recruiting is stellar.  That said...  I recommend some folks step back and look at the situation from a more analytical point of view. 

I think Redsteve & Norm are “on course and on glide path.”    i.e. Right on target...   There is... "…more to the story, and we may never know the whole truth."

One thing is certain…  The coach who has the most wins in Nebraska WBB history and who has been in the saddle for 14 years isn't released due to a few players complaining about hard practices.  I see no logic in arguing otherwise. 

I’d argue that anyone who seriously believes the current players' complaints were the catalyst for this action has no experience in leading any type of unit, team, or group.  Every leader knows that a certain percentage of the troops/players will always complain…  Regardless of what you do/don’t do.  So players complaining about how hard practice would be greeted with a full cup of... shut the heck up.  Next slide... 

The only facts we know:

1. There was an investigation (We don’t know what initiated it).
  2. Players and staff were questioned.
  3. None of us know the results of the investigation.

Assumptions: 

1. The investigation uncovered a problem.
  2. It was a serious problem; otherwise, you don't fire/release an extremely successful head coach.   

Only a very few people know the results of the investigation.  As stated earlier, none of us know.  My girl is on the team and she doesn’t know.  During the investigation she was called in to answer questions.  I’m not sure what was asked, but I know my girl.  She answered honestly.  She reported what she saw and experienced.  She harbored no grudge against Coach Yori.  I know she never felt abused during practice.  She said that practice was hard but certainly never abusive.    

Connie Yori was always nice to me and my family.  I have no bad words to say about her. 

On another note…  Rachel sent me a screenshot of an extremely nasty tweet that someone (weather 69 or weatherman 69) sent to one of her teammates.  That type of thing is beyond reprehensible.  Fans can be such jerks.

One day we might know the investigation’s results.  Maybe the university will get pressured in to letting the public know what went down. 

Until then, this wound needs to begin healing.  The “new coach” thread is probably where we should be concentrating.  That is the 50 meter target that, it seems to me, needs to engaged quickly and decisively.  Our worst nightmare is some of our girls leave due to this action. We need a quality coach who can assuage any player angst. 

Bottom Line:  The Coach Yori era is over.  Was it fair how it ended???  We don't know.  We do know that life isn't fair.  She did fantastic things for Nebraska WBB.  We wish her Godspeed moving forward in her life. 

Moving Forward:  Let’s get a great coach…  We’ll need one… In just over 200 days we play UConn.

I'm sorry and I mean no disrespect, but there's much of this I cannot go along with.

You have a unique perspective with a daughter on the team.

But can you name the last 4 Nebraska women's basketball head coaches?  Of those 4, going back to Kelly Hill in the 80s, where would you rank Connie Yori?

I've stated I'm not a season ticket holder but I've followed this program, attended games lives, watched on TV, etc.  And most of the folks who hang out on the women's hoops board are far more knowledgeable about the program than I am.

This is shocking news to this fanbase and you can't just say, well, forget the last 14 years and let's go find a new coach, yay team.

People on this board are on here because they care about this program and these women, from the coaches to the players and everyone in between who puts the product on the floor.  This is a passionate fanbase. And most of us have been invested in this team since long before Connie Yori arrived.  Certainly longer than just the last year or two.  And you can't just expect them to walk away the next day and not have a lot of questions they'd like to see answered.

It's going to take a little while for this all to blow over.

We graduated 4 veteran players last year.  I'm sure there was a huge difference in leadership this year for that reason alone.  We have a very young team.  I remember reading comments from Lindsey Moore in the paper that she thought Yori was somewhat easier in practice this year with the players (not exact words, but something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong).  Probably because of the team's youth.  

However, I would expect those things to improve as the season progressed.  Maybe they didn't.  Maybe the reason they didn't was due to Theriot's injury.  Maybe some players didn't like the fact that Kyndal came in and started right away and weren't too keen to recognize her leadership ability.  These are all just maybes.  Just maybe.  But none of them quit first semester and enrolled elsewhere second semester.  They all stuck with it.

I was also under the impression that a group of players approached the administration with concerns.  Was that necessarily about tough practices?  Or could they have been concerned about Yori and the stress she was under?  Maybe it was more along the lines of "We are really worried about our coach because we can see she is having a rough time right now". 

That has been mentioned several time this year, here and on broadcasts.  Lack of senior leadership...or poor attitude whatever you want to call it. That kind of problem kills team morale and the teams want to work together.

Speculation...not that there hasn't been any so far.

It could be that RT's attitude fell off because she couldn't play up to her own expectations.. not so hard to understand...and there wasn't another senior to fill the gap.