Yori Resigns

hskr4life

Wait a minute.  Coach Yori has been here 14 years and this is suddenly a problem?  Why would the Ford girl come back to assist if she had been there before as a player.  Why would Amy Stephens come back? Why did Sample, Cady, Griffin, and numerous others stay all four years? Why has the Finch girl stayed loyal?  Methinks something may be rotten in the state of Denmark.  

Here is what is hard to understand.  Apparently all these issues exist.  Yet despite these issues we have the returning freshman of the year?  This recruiting class as well as the last few have been great?  How doesn't word get around to these recruits that we have this perceived/real coaching "issue."  Some of this makes me believe that 1+1=3???

Even if these allegations are blown out of proportion and Yori would have been eventually been exonerated, she would be doing so while also dealing with her personal life. I'll take at face value that she's stepping down in the best interest of her family.

Thanks for that perspective.  I'm just really angry about the situation and I guess I should wait until more information comes forth.

It could be that the divorce is bothersome enough (understandably) that it's affecting her job?  Maybe that's why her change in attitude/approach? 

Pure speculation.

It could be a real possibility. Seems like a lot of this stuff has occured in the last couple of years. Divorce affects people in many different ways, and some people have bigger problems come out of it....than others.

The whole thing is a sad deal, and unfortunate for everyone involved.

First, I was shocked and disappointed when I read this at OUHOOPS.  I always wanted Yori to succeed, plus Nebraska WBB.

I wanted to respond to a multi-quote but guess I did it wrong and do not have time to figure it out.  So, will just address a couple of things I have seen posted.  1) Someone mentioned this going on a couple of years.  I did not infer that from the article unless this is a reference to injuries from a year ago.  Did I miss something?

2)  The number one player coming back might not have come back if something had not been done.  Or maybe not all the players had a problem with Yori.

3)  As far as the incoming players, I would  guess if they asked for a release they would get one.  That is pretty common under these circumstances.

4)  As someone said, she is going through a divorce and even when you want it, it is not easy and with child custody being an issue, it has to be even that much more difficult.

5)  OKAY, this might offend some but I am a feminist but that doesn't mean I will deny reality and that is that some women have

a difficult time in menopause and it affects their emotions.  Does not mean I believe women are inferior to men, I mean men act like jerks w/o menopause or pms. :)  My point is that she could really be suffering in a way that would make her behave differently.

FINALLY, I am  not saying she has done anything wrong.  I imagine the truth regarding whether she mistreated players or discriminated will eventually come out....or the general truth, not specifics.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know how Brittany Brown fits into this?  If she will be back next year and was this her first year at Nebraska or her second?

Just hope everyone comes out okay in the end and that this passes quickly.  It really does make me sad.  AND I hope she is replaced with a really good female coach.

First, I was shocked and disappointed when I read this at OUHOOPS. I always wanted Yori to succeed, plus Nebraska WBB.

I wanted to respond to a multi-quote but guess I did it wrong and do not have time to figure it out. So, will just address a couple of things I have seen posted. 1) Someone mentioned this going on a couple of years. I did not infer that from the article unless this is a reference to injuries from a year ago. Did I miss something?

2) The number one player coming back might not have come back if something had not been done. Or maybe not all the players had a problem with Yori.

3) As far as the incoming players, I would guess if they asked for a release they would get one. That is pretty common under these circumstances.

4) As someone said, she is going through a divorce and even when you want it, it is not easy and with child custody being an issue, it has to be even that much more difficult.

5) OKAY, this might offend some but I am a feminist but that doesn't mean I will deny reality and that is that some women have

a difficult time in menopause and it affects their emotions. Does not mean I believe women are inferior to men, I mean men act like jerks w/o menopause or pms. :) My point is that she could really be suffering in a way that would make her behave differently.

FINALLY, I am not saying she has done anything wrong. I imagine the truth regarding whether she mistreated players or discriminated will eventually come out....or the general truth, not specifics.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know how Brittany Brown fits into this? If she will be back next year and was this her first year at Nebraska or her second?

Just hope everyone comes out okay in the end and that this passes quickly. It really does make me sad. AND I hope she is replaced with a really good female coach.

Referring to number 2 of your statements, I've heard some rumblings referring to said player, and sadly, it involved said player's parent(s). Nothing concrete, just speculation. It's scary to see some of the parent involvement at the college level if this rumor's true. I'm backing Yori until proven otherwise.

Thought it was fairly humorous that Rosenthal reports that "a former director of operations" is his source for some of the information about the lying she was asked to do, and some forms of discrimination...

There's literally only one other director of operations than the current one (Finch) - Jan Bethae, who basically had been there since 09-10, and no one else has ever held that title before her.

edit: wrong date

Incorrect. Before Jan the operations director was Angela Timmons Kiffin and before her was Aubrey Eblin.

Edit: I'm not implying they may have complaints, just noting that your facts are wrong.

Wait a minute.  Coach Yori has been here 14 years and this is suddenly a problem?  Why would the Ford girl come back to assist if she had been there before as a player.  Why would Amy Stephens come back? Why did Sample, Cady, Griffin, and numerous others stay all four years? Why has the Finch girl stayed loyal?  Methinks something may be rotten in the state of Denmark.  

Here is what is hard to understand.  Apparently all these issues exist.  Yet despite these issues we have the returning freshman of the year?  This recruiting class as well as the last few have been great?  How doesn't word get around to these recruits that we have this perceived/real coaching "issue."  Some of this makes me believe that 1+1=3???

Even if these allegations are blown out of proportion and Yori would have been eventually been exonerated, she would be doing so while also dealing with her personal life. I'll take at face value that she's stepping down in the best interest of her family.

Thanks for that perspective.  I'm just really angry about the situation and I guess I should wait until more information comes forth.

On that note, I don't see anywhere that the U or anyone else has released any sort of findings publicly about the investigation into these allegations.

The article says that up to 10 players and coaches have come forward saying that practices were too hard, she didn't believe injuries and was just all around nasty.  Just kind of what it says.

Interesting article.

Well that is interesting to say the least.

I don't want this to sound flippant, but it is probably good that the complaining players (if true) didn't play for Geno at UConn.

This whole situation makes me really upset!  I am really sorry for the troubles Yori is going through with her divorce and custody suit - but the basketball team problems are a combination of hearsay (oh I know "a source who knows says that "more than 10"  players - how many is that 11 or 16? met with the administration) and cloak and dagger reporting.

I choose to put my stock on what Lindsey Moore and Layne Reeves had to say - and Tom Tvrdy's "final lasting impression" of Yori than an impression of innuendo and "allegations".  I have played for many tough coaches and only became better because of it.

I only wish Yori the best - and I feel like this is our program's loss!

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Yes, you don't get the highway just because your tough in practice.  That can be fixed in a couple of meetings...unless the coach say's that's BS and I won't change anything.....  and that's not Yori.

There's indefinably more to the story, and we may never know the whole truth.

My own thoughts...but Eickhorst (sp) may have more to with this that we can guess. He has taken a lot of heat over Riley's hiring.  May be gun shy to make any more mistakes....before his boss gets changed pretty soon.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

And I think our eyes will never see all of it.

MAYBE in time, depending upon what the true issues are, but probably not ever know it all.  I have some thoughts but they are pure speculation and I don't think  it's appropriate to do that.  Speculating to a friend is different than to a stranger or worse on an internet board.  And my speculation is not based on ANY actual knowledge.  So, no I don't know anything.

I just do not know who they can hire to come in and keep this team together.  Hopefully, some of Yori's staff and former players are close to the team and they can be supportive.  Playing college sports is difficult (well, college itself is difficult) and something like this can really shake a young person's sense of security and place.  I hope they have already had a meeting with the current players and the staff who are staying.  Would seem staff will have the biggest influence on the players......maybe some positively and other negatively.  Hopefully, the ones with a negative attitude leave.