Husker Power, Nebrasketball-style

First of all, I don't doubt that we have a lot of hard working players on our team.  Here's what I don't understand.  If Jacobson is scoring 1,542, and a 1,500 is considered a high A grade (per Wilson), then shouldn't he be dominating other players in the Big Ten?  Since he didn't, does that mean the players he played against would get a A+++ grade (or some superlative grade)?

I think it's established that these guys have put in a lot of time and effort into improving themselves.  But I guess I didn't see a lot of freakishly athletic folks on the floor this past winter.

Anyone suggesting the performance numbers are less than stellar will to take it up with Boyd Epley, according to the OWH:

"Boyd Epley, Nebraska’s assistant athletic director for strength and conditioning, heaped praise on the program.

“When we see a bunch of school records like this, it’s usually after the offseason training period,” Epley said. “So this is pretty impressive.

“Overall, Tim Wilson put in some pretty impressive test scores in men’s basketball. And hat’s off to the players.”

. . .

“I can’t stress enough how impressive that is,” Epley said, “considering it comes after the season.”

Can this board be the good board that understands that a 33" two foot standing vertical is very good? Unlike the RSS where they can't read and don't understand testing.

it's shockingly good. you would not have guessed it by watching him play.

hopefully he figures out how to put that athleticism on display next year.

My take -- we are more athletic and more skilled than any Husker team in recent history (per the numbers.)  But, and this is big, for us to compete with the big boys, we need multiple players above 1500.  We currently have one, with others showing great progress and improvement. 

Here you go about the records

Epley said he’s resetting school records in athletic testing and starting over for a standard benchmark.

Also we started this in December of 2015, thus it's records broken from this year

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=20&SPID=24&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210853513&DB_OEM_ID=100

Let's approach these testing records another way.

Here's saying that athleticism records from this group is not exactly surprising -- and we don't need to keep minimizing or trivializing them.

Consider these bits of info:

We have four Rivals four-star players on the team.  Count them -- 4:  Watson, Morrow, White and Gill.

We have an international player who came with lots of recruiting hype -- Webster.

We haven't had a prior player who even approached a four-star rating since the likes of Strickland, Woolridge, Boone and Badgett.

So, the only surprise about the record testing results is this: the hero of the testing is a three-star player with limited recruiting offers.

Otherwise, it all makes perfect sense.

Let's approach these testing records another way.

Here's saying that athleticism records from this group is not exactly surprising -- and we don't need to keep minimizing or trivializing them.

Consider these bits of info:

We have four Rivals four-star players on the team. Count them -- 4: Watson, Morrow, White and Gill.

We have an international player who came with lots of recruiting hype -- Webster.

We haven't had a prior player who even approached a four-star rating since the likes of Strickland, Woolridge, Boone and Badgett.

So, the only surprise about the record testing results is this: the hero of the testing is a three-star player with limited recruiting offers.

Otherwise, it all makes perfect sense.

Not to nitpick but Lue, Hamilton and Truscott would all have been 4-stars

First of all, I don't doubt that we have a lot of hard working players on our team.  Here's what I don't understand.  If Jacobson is scoring 1,542, and a 1,500 is considered a high A grade (per Wilson), then shouldn't he be dominating other players in the Big Ten?  Since he didn't, does that mean the players he played against would get a A+++ grade (or some superlative grade)?

This score doesn't denote position nor skill.  If you had an 6' kid that scored a 1900 you can't play him at Center.

This does tell me that Jacobson should be able to hang in the paint once he gets more experience and mass on him. If he can consistently hit an outside shot, he's going to be very good for us for the next 3 years.

First of all, I don't doubt that we have a lot of hard working players on our team. Here's what I don't understand. If Jacobson is scoring 1,542, and a 1,500 is considered a high A grade (per Wilson), then shouldn't he be dominating other players in the Big Ten? Since he didn't, does that mean the players he played against would get a A+++ grade (or some superlative grade)?

This score doesn't denote position nor skill. If you had an 6' kid that scored a 1900 you can't play him at Center.

This does tell me that Jacobson should be able to hang in the paint once he gets more experience and mass on him. If he can consistently hit an outside shot, he's going to be very good for us for the next 3 years.

Agreed x10

More important than his own development is the main thing that's out of his control - NU recruiting an actual defensive big to defend the paint. That way Jacobsen can play a Kevin Love type role for us as a stretch four.

Considering the big hoopla about the S&C records being reset today, I'm guessing every record was set because this was the first year for these new baselines and records. A bit misleading

It's basically due to the Nebraska Athletic Performance Lab administering all of the testing now. Like you stated doc, baseline testing.