Hammond transferring

khoock

Hammond transferring means we have two spots open now.

The mind races ... 

Encouraged to leave or not?  If so, what would that mean?

I envision a scenario where Jake sat down w/ Coach and asked for a "no b-s assessment" of where he thought he would fit in next year at Nebraska.  What Miles did tell him, or was able to tell him, regarding his future in light of our recruiting efforts probably highly formed his decision.  But I doubt he was asked politely to more or less leave.

By the way, what I'm getting at here is that we didn't need Jake to leave in order to add just ONE more player. 

See what I'm saying?

Oh I agree.  In fact I felt if we could add a solid starting center, Jake would add excellent depth to that position. 

That's true and I agree.

But that wasn't the point I was driving at.

If all Miles wanted to do was add ONE additional player, we already had room for him to do that.

But now we have room for TWO additional players.  And I rather suspect Miles isn't planning on carrying an empty scholarship this year.

Now do you see what I'm saying?

I think I smell what you're stepping in.  You think Jake's departure is part of a larger plan of Miles to bring in two new players that he must feel pretty confident he can get?

His FT shooting was awful his entire time on campus

Not necessarily...Markowski was a good shooter in HS and couldn't make a shot outside of the lane to save his life. Though he had one of the sickest dunks ever over some poor kid from KU

Sometimes it becomes mental or kids just press too much. I think Fuller doesn't look comfortable out there. He may have got too big and it affected his shot.

With Fuller hopefully they move him out of the post and but him back on the wing. I think being in a position where he was undersized really wore on him physically, especially with his shot.

Seems a lot more mental. He shot all of 2 three pointers and shot 55% from the FT line.

Not to be cruel but Nick won't get much better IMO. And without an outside shot he is relegated to hustle duty in the lane. He can play a few minutes but doubt he contributes anything but mop up duty with Roby & Horne coming in.

I really don't want to speculate because I don't know the kid.... But the dude used to be lights out from 3pt, holds many records in Wisconsin. Line only moved back a foot, you have to place some blame on the staff for whatever has happened to his game. Right?

Markowski had a lot of injury problems that took away his shooting skills, broken wrist and shoulder problems if I remember correctly.

Hammond transferring means we have two spots open now.

The mind races ... 

Encouraged to leave or not?  If so, what would that mean?

I envision a scenario where Jake sat down w/ Coach and asked for a "no b-s assessment" of where he thought he would fit in next year at Nebraska.  What Miles did tell him, or was able to tell him, regarding his future in light of our recruiting efforts probably highly formed his decision.  But I doubt he was asked politely to more or less leave.

By the way, what I'm getting at here is that we didn't need Jake to leave in order to add just ONE more player. 

See what I'm saying?

Oh I agree.  In fact I felt if we could add a solid starting center, Jake would add excellent depth to that position. 

That's true and I agree.

But that wasn't the point I was driving at.

If all Miles wanted to do was add ONE additional player, we already had room for him to do that.

But now we have room for TWO additional players.  And I rather suspect Miles isn't planning on carrying an empty scholarship this year.

Now do you see what I'm saying?

I think I smell what you're stepping in.  You think Jake's departure is part of a larger plan of Miles to bring in two new players that he must feel pretty confident he can get?

I'm thinking he has plans for the open spots.  I'm thinking he was thinking to himself before Jake announced that it would be nice if he had two ships to use.  Because he has more than one guy or type of guy that he'd like to go get.

Woolridge and Boone were top 50 kids according to the preview mags I used to buy. Strickland was considered the 3rd best of that group. Amazing recruiting class for us, and we had Badget coming off a redshirt.

Of all the kids we could have beaten out KU for in recruiting, it had to be Boone.

Woolridge and Boone were top 50 kids according to the preview mags I used to buy. Strickland was considered the 3rd best of that group. Amazing recruiting class for us, and we had Badget coming off a redshirt.

Of all the kids we could have beaten out KU for in recruiting, it had to be Boone.

Wasn't Woolridge the second-ranked point guard in that recruiting class?

A couple of thoughts without intending to bash with either comment:

- Nick did shoot well in HS.  But there is a significant difference between shooting in HS and shooting at a major college.  My take is that he is a bit slow with his release and he does not elevate very well while shooting.  So he has a tendency to rush his shot and the result is not good.

- Jake was never able to claim position on the floor.  He tended to get pushed out of position by nearly everyone and anyone.  Hard to hit someone in the post when that is happening.  He also was not the quickest afoot, or strong; as a result, his defense was oftentimes less than stellar.  Finally, defenses ran right through his picks.  It was amazing to watch.  It was like he was invisible.  When you look at his HS lines, he was oftentimes in foul trouble.  He tended to simply turn and jump and didn't work for position.  Some would call that lazy? 

Therein lies the difference between Nick and Jake.  I will always take a Nick on my team.  He is a good team player, he is a grinder who will provide great effort, picking up a rebound, clearing a path for a teammate, getting an occasional basket and being a gnat bothering the opponent.  While Jake was more of an enigma.  He seemed to be out of position, dropping a pass, missing a point blank shot or free throw, et al. 

- Jake was never able to claim position on the floor.  He tended to get pushed out of position by nearly everyone and anyone.  Hard to hit someone in the post when that is happening.  He also was not the quickest afoot, or strong; as a result, his defense was oftentimes less than stellar.  Finally, defenses ran right through his picks.  It was amazing to watch.  It was like he was invisible.  When you look at his HS lines, he was oftentimes in foul trouble.  He tended to simply turn and jump and didn't work for position.  Some would call that lazy?

I actually wouldn't call that lazy.  I would say it is lack of strength.   Everything you claim, goes back to not being strong enough.    One spot I would say he showed laziness was in the classroom.  Nebraska has a ridiculous academic support team at his disposal and yet 2 straight years,  he got in trouble for his poor schoolwork.  At a school like Nebraska, that should not happen.

I actually wouldn't call that lazy.  I would say it is lack of strength.   Everything you claim, goes back to not being strong enough.    One spot I would say he showed laziness was in the classroom.  Nebraska has a ridiculous academic support team at his disposal and yet 2 straight years,  he got in trouble for his poor schoolwork.  At a school like Nebraska, that should not happen.

Laziness is a lack of desire, and, to be fair, Hammond did put forth the effort.  However, Hammond backed down too easily.  Instead of fighting for position, he tried to work around the player in front of him.  I would characterize it as a lack of mental toughness.  A lot of people focus on Hammond's lack of strength.  But I doubt Hammond would show that much improvement after a year in the weight room due to his toughness issues.

• 1 month later...