Hammond transferring

khoock

With UNO being a secondary team that I follow, I wouldn't mind seeing Trueblood go to UNO. What were his offers like coming out of high school?

I'm not sure he looked around at other schools all that much, as I believe he committed to being a preferred walk-on for NU pretty early before his senior year. 

He'd have a shot at UNO I think. He sees the floor well enough that he can create for others. Jump shot would need some work. UNO isn't too interested in playing defense, so no concern there. ;)

Just from watching him in high school, he seemed to be at his best in transition, playing a fast-paced game, finding teammates and driving, which UNO wants to do constantly. So I think he'd have a shot to play at UNO. Would need to make the most of the redshirt/transfer year, especially in developing his 3-pt shot.

Agree with your comments about transition and a fast paced game.  Wesleyan would be perfect for him the way they play. 

Hammond transferring means we have two spots open now.

The mind races ... 

Encouraged to leave or not?  If so, what would that mean?

I envision a scenario where Jake sat down w/ Coach and asked for a "no b-s assessment" of where he thought he would fit in next year at Nebraska.  What Miles did tell him, or was able to tell him, regarding his future in light of our recruiting efforts probably highly formed his decision.  But I doubt he was asked politely to more or less leave.

The mind races ... 

I envision a scenario where Jake sat down w/ Coach and asked for a "no b-s assessment" of where he thought he would fit in next year at Nebraska.  What Miles did tell him, or was able to tell him, regarding his future in light of our recruiting efforts probably highly formed his decision.  But I doubt he was asked politely to more or less leave.

So, probably nobody told him, "Jake, right now you're the only guy on the roster taller than 6'8" and I don't anticipate that's going to change between now and next season."  Is that fair?

Yeah I don't think Miles encourages any players to leave. He and the staff just meet with every player individually after every season and give their honest opinion of where they fit in next year. From there, the player can take that information and discuss it with his family to decide what is in the athlete's best interest.

That's the way I would do things and I am 99% sure that is how Tim Miles and Co do things.

The mind races ... 

By the way, what I'm getting at here is that we didn't need Jake to leave in order to add just ONE more player. 

See what I'm saying?

i feel like jake could put up 10 and 10 on a team like uno but was just physically overmatched in the big 10. a redshirt year for jake could really help him.

This past year Jake Hammond would not have put those numbers on UNO. The Mavs had a quality big in Jake White (a transfer from Wichita State). But, all in all, I get the point Smiles: Hammond will be better served on a lower-tier team's roster going forward.

Yeah I don't think Miles encourages any players to leave. He and the staff just meet with every player individually after every season and give their honest opinion of where they fit in next year. From there, the player can take that information and discuss it with his family to decide what is in the athlete's best interest.

That's the way I would do things and I am 99% sure that is how Tim Miles and Co do things.

If memory serves correct, it was reported that Miles did encourage Benny to leave after Benny's freshmen season.  Benny chose to stay, and Miles did not punish Benny for staying.  I think the better way to put it is that Miles does encourage players to leave but does not threaten to pull scholarships.    

It would not surprise me if Evelyn and Fuller were both encouraged to leave as well but have chosen to stay.  I personally like Fuller, but the only way he plays (outside of garbage time) is if Miles completely whiffs on all possible options.   

If memory serves correct, it was reported that Miles did encourage Benny to leave after Benny's freshmen season. Benny chose to stay, and Miles did not punish Benny for staying. I think the better way to put it is that Miles does encourage players to leave but does not threaten to pull scholarships.

It would not surprise me if Evelyn and Fuller were both encouraged to leave as well but have chosen to stay. I personally like Fuller, but the only way he plays (outside of garbage time) is if Miles completely whiffs on all possible options.

I remember understanding it like this, Miles basically told him he wasn't cut out to be a player in the Big Ten and told him he would have a much better chance at playing D1 Basketball at a lower level.

I very well could be wrong but that's how I remember it and to me, that is just Miles being brutally honest not necessarily encouraging him.

As for Evelyn, I think the jury is still out on him imo. Ppl keep forgetting that he missed time when he first arrived just like Jacobson and Morrow. Both Morrow and Jacobson were at positions of need where as Evelyn was in a position with two veteran players and a talented freshman.

Also, I think Evelyn's poor stats are more due to him just trying to hard when he got in because of the limited amount of time he recieved.

With Fuller hopefully they move him out of the post and but him back on the wing. I think being in a position where he was undersized really wore on him physically, especially with his shot. Either way I think programs like Nebraska can benefit from kids like Fuller who accept their role but are always working hard. Obviously you can't have a team full of Fuller's but I think we can afford to have one or two.

With Fuller hopefully they move him out of the post and but him back on the wing. I think being in a position where he was undersized really wore on him physically, especially with his shot. Either way I think programs like Nebraska can benefit from kids like Fuller who accept their role but are always working hard. Obviously you can't have a team full of Fuller's but I think we can afford to have one or two.

Agreed. Practice, doing the right things, & hard work makes the entire team better.

With Fuller hopefully they move him out of the post and but him back on the wing. I think being in a position where he was undersized really wore on him physically, especially with his shot.

Seems a lot more mental. He shot all of 2 three pointers and shot 55% from the FT line. 

With Fuller hopefully they move him out of the post and but him back on the wing. I think being in a position where he was undersized really wore on him physically, especially with his shot.

Seems a lot more mental. He shot all of 2 three pointers and shot 55% from the FT line. 

Not to be cruel but Nick won't get much better IMO. And without an outside shot he is relegated to hustle duty in the lane. He can play a few minutes but doubt he contributes anything but mop up duty with Roby & Horne coming in.

The mind races ... 

By the way, what I'm getting at here is that we didn't need Jake to leave in order to add just ONE more player. 

See what I'm saying?

Oh I agree.  In fact I felt if we could add a solid starting center, Jake would add excellent depth to that position. 

Not to be cruel but Nick won't get much better IMO. And without an outside shot he is relegated to hustle duty in the lane. He can play a few minutes but doubt he contributes anything but mop up duty with Roby & Horne coming in.

I really don't want to speculate because I don't know the kid.... But the dude used to be lights out from 3pt, holds many records in Wisconsin. Line only moved back a foot, you have to place some blame on the staff for whatever has happened to his game. Right?

The mind races ... 

See what I'm saying?

Oh I agree.  In fact I felt if we could add a solid starting center, Jake would add excellent depth to that position. 

That's true and I agree.

But that wasn't the point I was driving at.

If all Miles wanted to do was add ONE additional player, we already had room for him to do that.

But now we have room for TWO additional players.  And I rather suspect Miles isn't planning on carrying an empty scholarship this year.

Now do you see what I'm saying?

I anticipate Horne and Roby passing Fuller on the depth chart (we will know for sure come next fall) but there's always room for one or two hustle guys who bring it to practice everyday and do everything the right way. I mean you get 13 scholarships and only really play like 8-9.

True.  As things stand right now, I think there's a very good chance both Roby and Horne find themselves in the top 8 of the rotation.

Of course, with two unfilled scholarships at present and 2 more belonging to the likes of Evelyn and Fuller, I'm not sure that's much of a hurdle.

Now, if we fill those extra spots ...

Not necessarily...Markowski was a good shooter in HS and couldn't make a shot outside of the lane to save his life. Though he had one of the sickest dunks ever over some poor kid from KU

Sometimes it becomes mental or kids just press too much. I think Fuller doesn't look comfortable out there. He may have got too big and it affected his shot.

Not to be cruel but Nick won't get much better IMO. And without an outside shot he is relegated to hustle duty in the lane. He can play a few minutes but doubt he contributes anything but mop up duty with Roby & Horne coming in.

I really don't want to speculate because I don't know the kid.... But the dude used to be lights out from 3pt, holds many records in Wisconsin. Line only moved back a foot, you have to place some blame on the staff for whatever has happened to his game. Right?

No - his confidence which could or could not be connected to the staff. The game I watched he was lights out from behind the line in warm ups and then airballed the only one he took in the game.

Not necessarily...Markowski was a good shooter in HS and couldn't make a shot outside of the lane to save his life. Though he had one of the sickest dunks ever over some poor kid from KU

Sometimes it becomes mental or kids just press too much. I think Fuller doesn't look comfortable out there. He may have got too big and it affected his shot.

Markowski had a lot of injury problems that took away his shooting skills, broken wrist and shoulder problems if I remember correctly.