Hammond transferring

khoock

You guys think that's it then? I think they typically do their player meetings tuesday and Wednesday.

I think that may be. I posted some info about Morrow about a week ago and can now post more. It does sound like things are in line for Ed to return thank goodness. He's definitely got his share of things to work on, the first being to get healthy, but his athletic ability and raw potential are sky high. Robin Washut basically put to bed the Ed Morrow transfer rumors with a tweet at the end of last week but with some information I knew, it wasn't a completely dead issue. I would feel incredibly stupid if a transfer announcement came tomorrow so as of right now, family and those in Ed's camp have him convinced that he should stay here in school and return to the team as he has been checking into summer classes. That's as of now and I would be completely shocked to hear an announcement of Ed transferring.

Did people honestly think Ed was going to leave?

Seems like a lot of rumors with little to no meat behind them.

But if he was thinking about it, I question Ed's toughness a bit... Get healthy and you will get your minutes.

It is unnecessary to question Ed's toughness.  

You guys think that's it then? I think they typically do their player meetings tuesday and Wednesday.

I think that may be. I posted some info about Morrow about a week ago and can now post more. It does sound like things are in line for Ed to return thank goodness. He's definitely got his share of things to work on, the first being to get healthy, but his athletic ability and raw potential are sky high. Robin Washut basically put to bed the Ed Morrow transfer rumors with a tweet at the end of last week but with some information I knew, it wasn't a completely dead issue. I would feel incredibly stupid if a transfer announcement came tomorrow so as of right now, family and those in Ed's camp have him convinced that he should stay here in school and return to the team as he has been checking into summer classes. That's as of now and I would be completely shocked to hear an announcement of Ed transferring.

But if he was thinking about it, I question Ed's toughness a bit... Get healthy and you will get your minutes.

It probably didn't matter if people thought that Ed was going to leave or not but it was certainly an option and a possibility

Jake leaving is no shock, in fact it was anticipated.  I wish him well.  That said, I cannot believe both the Huskers and Sooners thought he had the ability to play at this level.  I hope he catches on, improves exponentially and can go on to bigger and better things.  As far as our walk-ons, sorry to see them go, but I hope life treats them well. 

Now, let's ring the bell on a couple of bigs. 

I wonder if Johnny is good enough to play for Omaha. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is good enough to be a solid contributor at the Summit level, but I was frustrated enough with Tai early on I thought he could play for us in his spot.

Uhhhhhhh.... Hmmm good question. First reaction would be no. It'd be a gamble, but Kyler Erickson did start for them this year by the end of the year. So who knows.

Jake leaving is no shock, in fact it was anticipated. I wish him well. That said, I cannot believe both the Huskers and Sooners thought he had the ability to play at this level. I hope he catches on, improves exponentially and can go on to bigger and better things. As far as our walk-ons, sorry to see them go, but I hope life treats them well.

Now, let's ring the bell on a couple of bigs.

I truly think a redshirt year would have done him wonders (assuming he put it to good use). Especially with how he seemed to struggle in the classroom, it would have been nice for him to have a year to adjust to being a student athlete at this level.

It is unnecessary to question Ed's toughness.  

just saying if he was looking to leave this quickly, I would have questioned his ability to handle adversity.

I dont honestly think he was looking to leave, so i am not questioning anything.... More hypothetical.

My biggest concern now is that we repeat the mistakes we did with Jake Hammond. We now have no true center on the roster which means we could land another freshman center that is forced to play even though they are not ready. And this doesn't apply to "reaches in talent" only, remember Hammond was a top 150 player and being recruited by Oklahoma who is now in the Final Four.

Hoping for an impactful grad transfer big and either a frosh or a transfer big that must sit out a year. I'm confident that Jacobson is capable of playing backup minutes at the 5.

Jake was our first top 150 kid.

Somewhat irrelevant, but is this post referring to the internet era of recruiting (2003-)? Nee had to have brought in recruits rated by recruiting publications in their "top 100". Strickland and Lue are the first to mind

Essentially. Nee brought in a lot of guys who would have been rated highly by today's recruiting sites. In May of 2013 it was a pretty big deal for a program that wasn't beating out Power 5 schools for somewhat highly regarded freshmen.

Evelyn?

That's a good question. If you can make the small leap of faith that Gill is going to get as much playing time if not more than BP, then what time is left for BE if you have AG, Tai, and GW playing almost all of our guard minutes?  Probably not much unless he's good enough to get into that rotation.

Is Bakari a B1G level guard?  If not, the answer is pretty easy. If it's yes or maybe, then it's not as clear cut, especially depending on who else that means you can sign and whether Roby could actually play some PG as a freshman.  If you can get another top 50 transfer like Gill/White that we can't currently recruit as a freshman, doesn't that seem like a lot better use for a scholarship than a guy who projects to be Watson's backup for his entire career?

The high and the low points of Hammond's career were pretty close together. On Nov 28th in NY he recorded his first and only double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds in a win over Tennessee after a solid game vs Cincinatti. On Dec 22nd after the Sanford debacle where he only played 4 minutes, he logged 5 minutes against Prairie View A&M where he racked up 3 fouls to go with zero points.  Other than a 4 game stretch during B1G play when Ed Morrow was injured, he didn't play much.

Hammond's lack of success here given his highly regarded status as evidenced by other major schools besides us wanting him makes me wonder how many top 150 recruits actually end up succeeding (meaning start/play significant minutes and make serious contribution to a team winning)? Beyond the really upper eschelon talent this recruiting thing really is a mystery!

With UNO being a secondary team that I follow, I wouldn't mind seeing Trueblood go to UNO. What were his offers like coming out of high school?

I'm not sure he looked around at other schools all that much, as I believe he committed to being a preferred walk-on for NU pretty early before his senior year. 

He'd have a shot at UNO I think. He sees the floor well enough that he can create for others. Jump shot would need some work. UNO isn't too interested in playing defense, so no concern there. ;)

Just from watching him in high school, he seemed to be at his best in transition, playing a fast-paced game, finding teammates and driving, which UNO wants to do constantly. So I think he'd have a shot to play at UNO. Would need to make the most of the redshirt/transfer year, especially in developing his 3-pt shot.