2016 SG Ryan Murphy -> Charlotte -> Pitt

unl

I can understand if you're a player from a rural area where scouts can't get out to see you regularly. Guys like that are oftentimes shortchanged for their level of talent. But when you're in Calabasas California , I'd imagine you having zero problems with exposure to scouting. And I think these types of recruits do themselves more harm than good with the social media game. As if scoring points with likes retweets etc is going to get you anywhere closer to a real offer from a school

Sidebar, I also hate the whole "is this offer real or not" phenomenon that has invaded high school basketball. Its an unconditional d-1 offer or its not, no ifs ands or buts about it. The players, their friends, and sometimes even their coaches are the ones putting out misinformation on the internet and its confusing to fans like us that live on twitter. At least, most the time if there's something fishy about an offer you can guess its not real

From what I can tell the kid is actually 18 and had some low level D-1 offers.

About no chance we're offering. Didn't he think to hit up UNLV?

Ok. Well, awhile back there were some people cracking jokes on his Twitter saying he was 20 already and that it was no wonder he was dominating some high school camp. I guess maybe they were just poking fun and that wasn't his actual age.

Ok. Well, awhile back there were some people cracking jokes on his Twitter saying he was 20 already and that it was no wonder he was dominating some high school camp. I guess maybe they were just poking fun and that wasn't his actual age.

Someone made a joke that Jordy looked 38 on twitter.  

http://www.theacorn.com/news/2016-01-21/Sports/Murphys_law.html

His dad played Div II ball so there are genetics. He can shoot and score though but his mixtape looks like Andrien White's minus the quickness and ability to dunk. If he's really a kid that is going to make it in Div 1 he should start on the low end and transfer his way up because he's going to rot on the bench of any higher end Div 1 school.

I thought he had recently turned 19, which with another year of reclassifying, and by the time the end of his freshman year ended would have been 21.  Even then he would still be a 20 year old freshman at this rate.

I thought he had recently turned 19, which with another year of reclassifying, and by the time the end of his freshman year ended would have been 21.  Even then he would still be a 20 year old freshman at this rate.

Noticed on his twitter account it states: "Born on August 17, 1997"

So hes just old compared to everyone else in his class but still 18.  He will still be a 20 year old freshman the first day he steps on a campus somewhere.  At least his friends will be hitting him up for beer as a sophomore so he will be really popular.

So hes just old compared to everyone else in his class but still 18.  He will still be a 20 year old freshman the first day he steps on a campus somewhere.  At least his friends will be hitting him up for beer as a sophomore so he will be really popular.

Just wait 'til he's a sixth-year senior: He'll be 26 shortly after his college graduation (without a Mormon mission, mind you!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Did you see this somewhere?

It was alluded to back when this thread was active in 2016.  I can’t say I saw it in his Rivals page.

interestingly enough, his JUCO rivals page lists an offer from Chris Beard and Texas Tech.  If he is good enough for Beard, I certainly would take him!

21 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Why'd he only play 2 conference games?!?

He left his JC team after the first semester. From a story in the LA Daily News about his working out with Steph Curry:

After committing, Murphy came home to Calabasas to finish his semester via online classes and focus on the health of his foot. He broke his foot near the end of his redshirt freshman season at Charlotte.