Kevin O'Neil

bball23

How in the world does Lane Kiffin fire his own dad?  They could have handled that sooo much better.  "Uh, the Cowboys came calling and that seemed like a better fit for Monte at the time, where he doesn't have to worry about recruiting or how to manage kids, etc." 

But, instead, the world will forever understand that Lane let his dad go.  What kind of a-hole fires his own father?

How in the world does Lane Kiffin fire his own dad?  They could have handled that sooo much better.  "Uh, the Cowboys came calling and that seemed like a better fit for Monte at the time, where he doesn't have to worry about recruiting or how to manage kids, etc." 

But, instead, the world will forever understand that Lane let his dad go.  What kind of a-hole fires his own father?

Assuming that was the case

1. That was a mercy killing.  Lane isn't going to have a job in the near future.

2. Monte belongs in the NFL.  He doesn't know how to stop the spread which is easier to stop in the NFL by destroying the QB if you run it.  

Here is the list of the USC recruits...

Pos Nat'l
Rank
Nat'l
Rating
Name
School, Hometown Video HT/ WT/ PPG Commit Date Signed LOI? Commit School PG NR star.gifstar.gifJulian Jacobs
(Desert Pines HS)
Las Vegas, NV camera.gif 6-2/170 11/20/2012 check.gifUSC PF NR NR Nikola Jovanovic
(Arlington Country Day School)
Jacksonville, FL   6-10/- 09/10/2012   USC SF NR star.gifstar.gifstar.gifRoschon Prince
(Polytechnic HS)
Long Beach, CA camera.gif 6-6/180 08/07/2012   USC PG NR star.gifstar.gifstar.gifKendal Harris
(Berkner HS)
Richardson, TX camera.gif 6-2/170 08/04/2012   USC PG NR star.gifstar.gifstar.gifKahlil Dukes
(Capitol Preparatory Magnet School)
Hartford, CT   5-11/160 07/29/2012   USC

According to USC Hoops, Greg McDermott is on the "Big Board" to replace KO.

http://uschoops.com/coaching-candidate-info-board/

Of course, that list looks like it is just your standard-issue coaching wish-list, and McDermott is joining the ranks of Mark Few, Shaka Smart, Brad Stephens, et al.  The major buzz is on Jamie Dixon, though (sounds familiar, eh?), and he seems to be the front-runner out of the gate on this one.

At any event, this is going to be a loooooong coaching search for the Trojans.

USC seems like a place where you should be able to build a successful squad and I think they're no longer in NCAA trouble.

Steve Fischer seems like a guy they should try to pursue.

That would be the smart choice, wonder if Fisher would leave at his age.

He's ancient and the guy's in love with San Diego. I don't see him leaving the Aztecs for almost any reason at this point. He has a great thing going down there. SC will go after someone up for the challenge of program building and dealing with their rabid (and loaded) alumni. I don't think after Fischer's Michigan experience that he ever wants to deal with that kind of alumni community ever again.

Nebraska is arguably a better job than SC, silverbacked, I don't think we need to worry.

Sounds like Jamie Dixon is gonna be their primary target.  There's also buzz about bringing Tim Floyd back - he's apparently gone on record as saying he'd be open to taking the job.

Hope nobody is watching what Tim is doing here. :rolleyes:

Until Tim wins 10 games in the B1G and/or a tourney game, I wouldn't worry at all.

The last time someone hired a head basketball coach from Nebraska was 1987 and that was after Moe Iba quit the Huskers.

If he loves coaching in the B1G as much as he claims and can be competitive most years he might be coach for life here.  Until he can start winning the concern will always be if we have to end up firing him.

but you bring up a valid point, silverbacked, if Miles turns out to be the coach we all expect he will be, we will want to be vigilant about making sure he's happy at Nebraska.

But like dimes mentioned, we have some factors in our favor at NU.

1).  Tim Miles has mentioned that his destination job all along has been coaching in the Big Ten

2).  After Minnesota (at 250 miles), Nebraska is the closest (380 miles) Big Ten locale to his hometown, Doland, SD

3).  It's generally considered poor form for AD's to hire coaches away from schools within their own conference

For point #1, it's pretty self-explanatory.  Nebraska is a B1G school, and after that, there are only 13 other schools that fit that category, for now anyway.  As for #2, I don't know how much that matters for coach, but it should at least be a factor.  As for #3, I don't recall how often that has happened in the past in the Big Ten (I'm sure it has), but I would imagine because it is pretty poor form, it hasn't happened much.

Yeah, but what if he gets us to the dance next year and we win a game?  That would be the reclamation job of the century and circled wagons might not be enough.

And the Kool-Aid drinker in me thinks that's not an entirely far-fetched scenario.  The influx of talent for next year could be substantial and the kids returning from this team will have gained substantial experience playing in this league this year.

I'd suggest you start preparing for it.  Just like you did for the Mayan Apocalypse.