In the next 8 months ...

Oklahoma's starting center: Ryan Spangler, 6'8", 235# senior; 10.5 ppg; 9.3 rpg; 54.9 FG%; 36.4 3-pt%

I'm not sure what he brings to the floor physically that Michael Jacobson couldn't develop for us.

Excellent point. I keep warning everyone clammoring for a big man that landing one doesn't necessarily mean he steps on campus, finds the floor, and makes the difference we need. Big men take 2, 3, 4 years to develop and we've got a couple rostered right now that might fit that mold even though they look less than ideal right now.

The difference being, of course, that Oklahoma has Buddy Hield. Plus a few other shooters.

Oklahoma's starting center:  Ryan Spangler, 6'8", 235# senior; 10.5 ppg; 9.3 rpg; 54.9 FG%; 36.4 3-pt%

I'm not sure what he brings to the floor physically that Michael Jacobson couldn't develop for us.

I think people are quick to forget (or ignore) that Jacobson was an 18/19 year old true frosh who was hurt at the beginning of the season.  People are clamoring for Karl Towns and do not want to wait for the Ryan Spangler's to develop.

I'm not saying ratings are perfect by any stretch, but they measure physical attributes first and foremost. For instance, Michael Jacobson is seriously undervalued, imo. I'd guess he'll start his last three years and get a rousing ovation on senior night. That's a better result than half the guys in the top 150 will get.

I don't want to ruin my reputation by quoting myself, but . . . I've been high on Jacobson since we signed him.

The cupboard isn't empty at center. I'm not banking on Jacobson growing 3 inches, I'm banking on him bulking up and continuing to improve. I'd be more impressed if we could grab a few kids like this and developed them, rather than swinging and missing at big names. (I just can't get my mind around an empty scholarship.) He's going to end up a big, strong kid who can keep the ball out of the post and pull taller opposing centers away from the basket with his outside shooting.

As for Hammond, I have no idea about internal team issues or attitude, but otherwise I haven't given up on him. He shouldn't have played last year, and the picture would look a lot different if this year he had been a redshirt freshman. He has a lot of things to work on, but he can still be a very productive player. He doesn't have to be all-BIG to help this team.

Oklahoma's starting center:  Ryan Spangler, 6'8", 235# senior; 10.5 ppg; 9.3 rpg; 54.9 FG%; 36.4 3-pt%

Can one develop athleticism or is it God given?

One can maximize what one is given but different people have different ceilings

FWIW this a classic binary trap question in logic. Something akin to asking me if my wife is smart or pretty. The two things are not necessarily exclusive.

Oh, the answer if "Yes." The caveat is you can become all you CAN be but you cannot become more than you can be. Hence, a 6 foot point guard can improve his free throw technique but he cannot stretch himself into a 7 foot center.

Jacobson tested with the best verticle on the team...33 inches for a freshman who is 6'8.  Better luck next time Tom.