When are transfers typically announced?

khoock

I know Tim Miles will be having meetings with the players about their future pretty soon but when are the final decisions to transfer typically announced?

Also, who do you guys think are the most likely players to do so?

I say we just play a game of put in order the most likely to least likely to transfer.

Laws

Trueblood

Fuller

Evelyn

Borchardt

Hammond

McVeigh

Marrow

Jacobson

Watson

Tai

Gill

White

I know Tim Miles will be having meetings with the players about their future pretty soon but when are the final decisions to transfer typically announced?

Last year it was the end of March so probably a week at the earliest though probably by the end of March/start of April.

On one side I haven't heard a whole lot of transfer smoke. On the other hand, here are a couple of tweets retweeted by guys on the staff yesterday

No idea if anyone transfers but would be surprising if someone didn't transfer because someone always transfers. Also, as we have received transfers from Louisville and Kansas to this program let me give my yearly reminder that transferring isn't necessarily some indication of program success or failure as much as it is part of today's culture. Guys move, coaches move..it's NCAA basketball.

Good post, Dimes.  Where there is a little smoke with the retweets, there could be a little fire.

One type of transfer is where the player truly needs to find a level where they can play.  They have limitations which no amount of patience, effort, and persistence will allow them to play major minutes at this level.  If they want to play a lot vs. just being part of the team, transferring makes sense.  

The other type is explained by the first retweet above.  The player has some things to work on, but with some patience, persistence, and work on the weakness which is keeping them off the floor, can eventually still be successful at this level.  The adjustment to this level has been a slap in the face or a blow to the ego, but the opportunity is still there.  Think Andre Woolridge, where a lot of folks 60 miles down the road put the onus on the wrong place.  Even think Tarin Smith.   

On the current team, think of the difference between a Fuller/Eveland situation, and someone like Morrow, who had a series of setbacks and I'm sure in his own mind and probably those close to him didn't have the season he wanted and expected to have--but is still a very impressive lump of clay from which to mold a high level player, if he trusts the coaches and sticks with it.  (I am just using Ed as an example for the general transfer discussion; not meant to be "loaded" or suggestive of anything he may or may not be thinking).  

Well put and very insightful posts by both Dimes and HB. 

Just because someone may choose to transfer does not relegate the program into a monster.  Transfers occur.  Simply take a look at the (all college sports) transfer list.  It grows larger each year (or so it seems.)  Will someone or perhaps even two or three players leave?  I am torn, as there are a few players who are good men and good players, but would likely benefit by not being in a power five conference.  Others, simply have higher expectations, for whatever reason, and choose to test the grass on the other side of the fence.

But it is that time of the year...especially since we are not dancing, that the conjecture and/or reality takes place.

I say we just play a game of put in order the most likely to least likely to transfer.

Laws

Trueblood

Fuller

Evelyn

Borchardt

Hammond

McVeigh

Marrow

Jacobson

Watson

Tai

Gill

White

IMO (and keep in mind I have not drank breakfast today) if we get past Hammonds on your list it would be frustrating.  Yes guys go but IF we want to get over the hump and I think we are very close, we need that bottom 8 to stay in Lincoln.  Add a big to that mix and I think we get over the hump.

Laws (50 percent chance of transfer.  Laws might see that he won't get any PT here in the coming years unless he really improves, and he would transfer to a D2 or D3 school)

Trueblood (40 percent chance of transfer.  Only if he wants PT in the next year or two.)

Fuller ​(30 percent chance of transfer.  Only if he wants more PT.  He already used redshirt.)

Evelyn (30 percent chance of transfer.  Only if he sees a threat at PT even though he would be the backup PG)

Borchardt (20 percent chance of transfer... we need big bodies and he was at Nebraska to begin with.)

Hammond (20 percent chance of transfer... He is in line for PT unless we sign two bigs.)

McVeigh (15 percent chance of transfer... only if he wants to be "THE GUY")

Marrow (15 percent chance of transfer... only if he wants to be "THE GUY")

Jacobson (15 percent chance of transfer... only if he wants to be "THE GUY")

Watson (5 percent chance of transfer... he's a starter from day 1!)

Tai (1 percent chance of transfer... maybe he will go pro? Walt P the 2nd)

Gill (.01 percent chance of transfer... he could be our "the guy" next year)

White (.01 percent chance of transfer... he could be our "the guy" next year)

IMO (and keep in mind I have not drank breakfast today) if we get past Hammonds on your list it would be frustrating.  Yes guys go but IF we want to get over the hump and I think we are very close, we need that bottom 8 to stay in Lincoln.  Add a big to that mix and I think we get over the hump.

Oh, I totally agree!  And might I add that if I put a percentage on there, it would feel a little different.  Take a look at what I typed in red.  That makes ya feel better! :)

I also think there is a good chance nobody transfers. Hammond and Bakari are already at positions that are a guy short. So playing time is there if they can get over the hump. Both have potential to be P5 contributors. And Fuller likely won't transfer this year since he has already redshirted. If he transfers it would be next year as a grad transfer but I really think he likes playing for Nebraska.

Assuming none of the freshmen that were in the 8 man rotation transfer I think we are in good shape. Now if we could only sign that elusive big man...

Ed Morrow is a common name I keep hearing. These are just ppls opinions and they don't have any inside knowledge or anything. Just thought that he is an interesting name. Especially considering that on another topic I posted, who was set to make the biggest Jump next year, a lot of ppl selected Morrow.

Miles said he expects roster turnover <WHAT A SHOCKER> but feels comfortable that the main core of guys will stay intact.

He did?

Do you have a link?

I'm actually surprised he would say this before it actually happens.

Not sure how to post links but I saw it on Brian Rosenthals twitter. I guess "expects" was the wrong word to use. The tweet from Rosenthal said "wouldn't be surprised if there was turnover"

BTW I just not realized I posted this under the wrong thread.

Miles said he expects roster turnover <WHAT A SHOCKER> but feels comfortable that the main core of guys will stay intact.

He did?

Do you have a link?

Miles, per usual, being refreshingly candid to a question most guys would "no comment"

He did?

Do you have a link?

Not sure how to post links but I saw it on Brian Rosenthals twitter. I guess "expects" was the wrong word to use. The tweet from Rosenthal said "wouldn't be surprised if there was turnover"

I guess I could have scrolled up two posts and then I'd have seen it.  Derp

He did?

Do you have a link?

I guess I could have scrolled up two posts and then I'd have seen it.  Derp

I just moved it here so you couldn't have when you posted that.

Ed Morrow is a common name I keep hearing. These are just ppls opinions and they don't have any inside knowledge or anything. Just thought that he is an interesting name. Especially considering that on another topic I posted, who was set to make the biggest Jump next year, a lot of ppl selected Morrow.

I don't want to speculate on who might leave or place percentages on guys leaving.  Played that game before and I realized -- thanks to some community reinforcement from other posters on this board -- that it wasn't fair for me to put that on a college kid (i.e., this guy sucks so he's out of here.)

What I will say is that there is a list of players who, for me, are essential to our future success and their failure to return (a/k/a transferring) would deal a big blow.  I will say that Ed is not on that list for me.  And that's no knock on Ed.  Rather, it's a function of another issue I've been pointing out for a while now, which is the position distribution of scholarships on our team.

With the 2016 class coming in, we have an abundance of guys who can play the 4.

We have a dearth of top-notch guards.

Neither Andrew nor Tai are going anywhere.  Anton Gill didn't just sit a year here to go sit another year somewhere else.  I'm confident they'll be back.  Not sure of Bakari's plans but I'm not sold on him as a talent anyway.  If he stays, I hope he develops to the point that he's a productive player for us.

We need Glynn Watson, though.  Of all the guys on the roster who aren't headed into their senior years or coming off a transfer season, he's the one guy we most need to NOT transfer.

If one of the three 4s decides to seek greener pastures, I'll confess I'll be disappointed, but we've got Jeriah Horne coming in and enough coming back that we'll be OK there. 

But we cannot lose Glynn Watson.  That's all.

I'm sure some will speculate because they believe he should have received more PT this year...of course, he was also injured for most of the year.  Below is an interview with Morrow after the Maryland loss.  Him leaving the program just based on his recruitment and what he says in this video would be a big surprise at this point.  He will end up being a good one for us

http://www.scout.com/college/nebraska/story/1651111-nebraska-falls-in-third-round-of-b1g

I'm sure some will speculate because they believe he should have received more PT this year...of course, he was also injured for most of the year. Below is an interview with Morrow after the Maryland loss. Him leaving the program just based on his recruitment and what he says in this video would be a big surprise at this point. He will end up being a good one for us

http://www.scout.com/college/nebraska/story/1651111-nebraska-falls-in-third-round-of-b1g

I don't think it is likely, especially with his ties to the university.