Rank our Roster Top to Bottom

I know its risky/ difficult to project a true freshman's production but where would you put Roby on this list come opening tip in the fall?

Great question.  I was contemplating starting a thread about this once I saw that atskooc had bumped the thread.

But then I thought if I don't do it, khoock probably will and I should let him take a stab at it.

But now that you've brought it up ...

White

Gill

Watson

Webster

Jacobson

Roby

Morrow

McVeigh

Horne (at least early on; could move up)

Fuller

I'm expecting at least one of the remaining spots to go to a transfer who will have to sit and no more than two of the remaining spots, therefore, to guys who will be eligible to play this coming season.  I expect we'll get another guard and at least one more big man who will be immediately eligible.  So, the above could be thrown off a little.

Having said that, I think we'll go deeper than usual this year just because of the quality of our bench.  I could see 9 players and maybe even 10 on a regular basis.  And, depending on who we add, I could see Horne climbing the ladder a bit.  He's a skilled kid who has dropped some baby fat and might be a bit more explosive than what I saw in film from last summer.

I know its risky/ difficult to project a true freshman's production but where would you put Roby on this list come opening tip in the fall?

Great question.  I was contemplating starting a thread about this once I saw that atskooc had bumped the thread.

But then I thought if I don't do it, khoock probably will and I should let him take a stab at it.

White

Gill

Watson

Webster

Jacobson

Roby

Morrow

McVeigh

Fuller

I'm expecting at least one of the remaining spots to go to a transfer who will have to sit and no more than two of the remaining spots, therefore, to guys who will be eligible to play this coming season.  I expect we'll get another guard and at least one more big man who will be immediately eligible.  So, the above could be thrown off a little.

Having said that, I think we'll go deeper than usual this year just because of the quality of our bench.  I could see 9 players and maybe even 10 on a regular basis.  And, depending on who we add, I could see Horne climbing the ladder a bit.  He's a skilled kid who has dropped some baby fat and might be a bit more explosive than what I saw in film from last summer.

And somewhere kidney's head explodes!

It is tough to rate our roster right now. We could/should be adding three talented players. If we get two post players, will we play a more conventional line up (whatever that means) and have both a post and a PF?

Even if we don't, I'll be curious to see if Miles plays Morrow and Jacobson more at the same time. I still wished we would've seen more of that this past season. Between injuries and depth, unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards.

It is tough to rate our roster right now. We could/should be adding three talented players. If we get two post players, will we play a more conventional line up (whatever that means) and have both a post and a PF?

This is all up in the air. It really depends on the type and quality of big man we get and what Tim decides to do with him and the lineups. It obviously depends on matchups but what will fans think if the big we bring in is only played 15 or so minutes a game? Will people howl? Probably. Tim is accustomed to playing 'small ball' and we were so so close to being able to hack it this past year with no big man. So what if Tim's plan is to play small ball but insert the big for trouble stretches or when we are having trouble rebounding the ball or for spot minutes for certain matchups? I am assuming most casual fans think we need a big guy, thinking we need a center or true back to the basket big man which basically doesn't exist any more. So I imagine most fans throwing fits when we finally get a big man and Miles only plays him 20 minutes a game or less.

Even if we don't, I'll be curious to see if Miles plays Morrow and Jacobson more at the same time. I still wished we would've seen more of that this past season. Between injuries and depth, unfortunately, that wasn't in the cards.

I think we see way more of that assuming good health even if we land the big.

I think we see way more of that assuming good health even if we land the big.

How much we see Morrow and Jacobson together or separately is going to depend a great deal on how much work they put into improving things over the summer.  Michael was perhaps further ahead during the season but they both have a lot to work on. 

Great question. I was contemplating starting a thread about this once I saw that atskooc had bumped the thread.

White

Gill

Watson

Webster

Jacobson

Roby

Morrow

McVeigh

Fuller

I'm expecting at least one of the remaining spots to go to a transfer who will have to sit and no more than two of the remaining spots, therefore, to guys who will be eligible to play this coming season. I expect we'll get another guard and at least one more big man who will be immediately eligible. So, the above could be thrown off a little.

Having said that, I think we'll go deeper than usual this year just because of the quality of our bench. I could see 9 players and maybe even 10 on a regular basis. And, depending on who we add, I could see Horne climbing the ladder a bit. He's a skilled kid who has dropped some baby fat and might be a bit more explosive than what I saw in film from last summer.

I am probably most surprised by how far you have Morrow down the list. I think you're positioning would differ from most fans. For the record, I actually agree with you. Morrow's skill set seems to be an odd fit in Miles' offense. He's a touch undersized to play inside and he, at least last season, lacks the shooting touch to play outside as a stretch 4/5. If he could add an outside shot, his value would go up exponentially.

I don't think we land a big that gives us over 20 minutes a game.

Jordy has only been playing basketball for what like 4 or 5 years? Big Ten will be a big step up and I think foul trouble will be a huge issue which will occasionally limit his playing time.

The JUCO seems more like a depth provider and could be a solid backup with 10 to 15 minutes a game.

Other than that, I don't know of any other big men we are in with that are eligible for next season.

Basically I think we are a year a way from having an impactful big. Whether that be from a transfer who has to sit out or a freshman that will take his lumps playing big boy basketball.

I'd be willing to bet that Jacobson is the starting "center" next year.

The good thing is I don't think we need an impactful center to get to where we want to go next yyear. Just a solid one.

White
Watson
Webster/Gill

Jacobson

McVeigh/Morrow/Roby/Horne
Fuller

While I like the overall talent level, it's tough to put together a good rotation out of this group. So Watson starts at PG but who else plays there? On a message board, it's easy to just plug in Tai or Gill but I'm not so sure either has successfully run a team for extended minutes. Plus, we really have four guys who probably are best suited to play 4 (5, if you count Jacobson). Again, we can just say "Well, Roby and McVeigh can play 3", but I'm not sure either of them can play defense well enough at this stage at a position that often features the opponent's best scorer. Then there's the center position.

So as far as depth, we've got a lot of talented bodies, but limited spots to play them. So I'll just grab my worry beads and hope for the best from recruiting this spring.

While I like the overall talent level, it's tough to put together a good rotation out of this group. So Watson starts at PG but who else plays there? On a message board, it's easy to just plug in Tai or Gill but I'm not so sure either has successfully run a team for extended minutes. Plus, we really have four guys who probably are best suited to play 4 (5, if you count Jacobson). Again, we can just say "Well, Roby and McVeigh can play 3", but I'm not sure either of them can play defense well enough at this stage at a position that often features the opponent's best scorer. Then there's the center position.

Well, I know I've made a lot of comments about the distribution of scholarships among the various positions on our basketball team.

However, as far as the back court is concerned, we're basically returning our back court intact except swapping out Benny Parker in exchange for Anton Gill.  I'd have to imagine that's a win for us.  Plus, Tai started basically an entire season at point as a true freshman and he's done nothing but get better every year since then.  He'll be a more than capable player at both spots, I think.

As far as front-line players, we're still recruiting and things could change, but for now we at least return our starting 5 and a couple of guys who got good minutes at the 4.  I think Shavon is a big loss because of what he could do off the dribble, but we played decent ball without him while he recovered from his concussion.  And there were plenty of games this past season where he was less than effective, unfortunately.

I have confidence in our two HS recruits.  I think they'll be good players.  Horne could give us some of what we'll be missing from Shavon.  Plus, I think he's a better distance shooter.

So, we'll have to see.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/gill-ready-to-make-difference-for-huskers/article_d81126fd-9c1a-5a18-9185-e6b19e209f14.html

There are a lot of things that I hope Anton Gill is....one of those things is that he's the type of leader that makes his teammates better and is the leader on the court that puts confidence into the team.  While I think that Petteway and Shields were great players for us, I didn't really think these things were their strong points. I'm also not sure that it's a strong point for White or Webster and I don't know if Watson is ready yet.  Seeing Gill interacting with the guys while just a bench players was really encouraging to me.

Completely agree.

I am a huge Petteway fan but he often seemed to give off a lot of negative energy when things weren't going our way.

Shavon just never seemed to be very vocal but I think he improved alot his senior year in that category.

AW3: see Shavon. Hopefully he works on his leadership qualities during the off season. He's a good player and good players are easy to follow.

Tai doesn't seem to handle adversity well enough to be the teams leader. He's quick to get down on himself and that tends to effect his play negatively.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/yearlong-wait-nearly-over-for-nebraska-basketball-transfer-anton-gill/article_e078f5fd-884b-54ab-b12e-a01182f6e36b.html

One nugget in here that I don't believe I was aware of:

Gill said he tried to play through a stress fracture in his foot plus some hip-flexibility issues as a sophomore at Louisville. He averaged just 2.5 points and 0.7 rebounds.

Also

“He’s more explosive vertically than Tai,” Miles said. “He’s not quite as tall as Tai, but he’s much better finishing and is one of our better finishers in transition and around the rim. He can take contact.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/yearlong-wait-nearly-over-for-nebraska-basketball-transfer-anton-gill/article_e078f5fd-884b-54ab-b12e-a01182f6e36b.html

One nugget in here that I don't believe I was aware of:

Gill said he tried to play through a stress fracture in his foot plus some hip-flexibility issues as a sophomore at Louisville. He averaged just 2.5 points and 0.7 rebounds.

Also

“He’s more explosive vertically than Tai,” Miles said. “He’s not quite as tall as Tai, but he’s much better finishing and is one of our better finishers in transition and around the rim. He can take contact.”

That is very good news. Anton & Ed are B1G finishers.