Rank our Roster Top to Bottom

In recent games Tai has played PG, SG and SF.  He defended well, he rebounded well, he has hit his mid-range shots, he has hit his three's and he has taken it hard to the hoop.  He once again missed a couple of FT's down the stretch, and that is disturbing, but otherwise the dude has really, really picked up his game.

I can't think of a team in the B1G who has a decidedly better 1-4 than we do next season. I really hope we get the opportunity to play our natural spots next year.

With all due respect I can tell you it's probably half and I have no idea who everyone will have next year.

In terms of talent and ability for the position they play and at this moment in time, rank our scholarship roster from top to bottom.

My go of it:

Shields

White

Watson

Webster

Parker

Jacobson/Morrow/McVeigh (roughly equal, IMO)

Fuller

Hammond

Evelyn

Shields

Watson

White

Webster

Morrow

Jacobson

Parker

McVeigh

Fuller

Hammond

Evelyn

I can't think of a team in the B1G who has a decidedly better 1-4 than we do next season. I really hope we get the opportunity to play our natural spots next year.

With all due respect I can tell you it's probably half and I have no idea who everyone will have next year.

The common denominator of the top 5 teams in the B1G is a solid center.  I haven't seen many PGs I'd take over Watson (Melo, Yogi, Gessel will be gone), SFs I'd take over White, and I'm guessing there won't be any shooting guards I'd take over Gill.  It's hard to say how our PFs will match up because we've never seen them play PF.  

If we roll out Watson, Gill, White, and Morrow, that's 4 Top 100 recruits.  I guess after analyzing it I still feel the same way, though I did consider your view.  

The common denominator of the top 5 teams in the B1G is a solid center.  I haven't seen many PGs I'd take over Watson (Melo, Yogi, Gessel will be gone), SFs I'd take over White, and I'm guessing there won't be any shooting guards I'd take over Gill.  It's hard to say how our PFs will match up because we've never seen them play PF.  

If we roll out Watson, Gill, White, and Morrow, that's 4 Top 100 recruits.  I guess after analyzing it I still feel the same way, though I did consider your view.  

Man, if we get that Louisville Center to transfer, that would be YUGE.

Because, FWIW, I semi-agree with you about our other spots.  I can't say we'll be the best in the league at those other positions or even across those other positions, but I still maintain we're very good to fantastic in 4 out of 5 spots on the floor.  And I think that will hold true next year as well.

I'd say we'll probably have one of the better PGs (Watson), one of the better SGs (Gill or Webster) and one of the better wings (White) in the B1G and probably one of the BEST 6th men (Webster or Gill) in the B1G.

By this time next year, we will have a trio of power forwards who will be pretty solid.

If we can land a guy who was capable of being a rotation player at Louisville at Center, I think that trio of PFs can adequately back up the post and cover the PF position.

From the very beginning of the season, I said we were a year away with a legit big man and if the Louisville guy materializes, that would be enough to put us over the threshold, IMO.

In terms of talent and ability for the position they play and at this moment in time, rank our scholarship roster from top to bottom.

My go of it:

Shields

White

Watson

Webster

Parker

Jacobson/Morrow/McVeigh (roughly equal, IMO)

Fuller

Hammond

Evelyn

Sorry to quote myself, but I'm going to go ahead and commit to ranking the guys I grouped together.  Basically, the order I listed them in is the order I'll go with: 

Jacobson

Morrow

McVeigh

But I think it's still a pretty close group.  Each of them does something the others don't/can't.  But each has some liability as well.

• 1 month later...

1. White

2. Shields

3. Watson

4. Webster

5. Morrow

6. McVeigh

7. Evelyn

8. Jacobson

9. Parker

10. Fuller

11. Hammond

So ...

In your opinion, 5 of our top 8 players are freshmen.  Including 3 of the top 6. Yet, you think our freshmen aren't what they were cracked up to be.

Exactly what were you expecting our freshmen to be?

For our team there are 5 in the top 8. That doesn't mean that they are in your words "what they were cracked up to be." It means in terms of our roster that is where I would rank them. Lets not forget this is a 15-17 basketball team, not a tourney team

You didn't answer the question. You said they ended up not being what they were cracked up to be -- what did you think they were cracked up to be?  In order for them to be what they were cracked up to be, what were you expecting, if being 5 of the top 8 isn't good enough?

I guess I expected us to win more games. I don't expect us to spend the money we do on basketball and put that poor of a product on the floor. Let's hope tonight we play our best game of the year

OK, I got it.  We didn't win more games and that's on our freshmen.  Maybe if Miles had played Bakari Evelyn more than 88 minutes on the season.  Oh well, water under the bridge.  Hopefully, Miles will learn from this experience and play Evelyn more next year.

Well, he should get more minutes than Parker next year, so SkerBall should be pleased with that, at least.

Then again...

I don't see the big deal anyway. Isn't two transfer a year the average across D1. It's not like we lost someone unexpectedly like Tarin Smith or Walt last year.

Walt wasn't unexpected.
At the time, it was for me. I hadn't discovered this board yet so I didn't get all the inside info I get now from here.

I don't see the big deal anyway. Isn't two transfer a year the average across D1. It's not like we lost someone unexpectedly like Tarin Smith or Walt last year.

Walt wasn't unexpected.

Both Walt and Tarin were more disappointing than unexpected as they both would have been in the rotation this year.