Scouting Penn State

brfrad

Looking over some Penn State stats.  They are not a very good shooting team.  They shoot 40.1% from the field and 27.1% from 3.  If they go 11-18 from 3, the basketball gods hate us.  They struggle on the boards, being outrebounded by 4 boards a game.  We are out rebounding teams by almost 1 per game. 

Of course, our opponents shoot 41.6% from 3 in conference games.  The top 6 shooting teams are 56-104 (53.8%)  The bottom 6 teams are 38-123 (30.9%).  They attempt about 17 free throws a game, we attempt 16.5 per game.

Without Shields, we need to stay in zone, make PSU hit 11-18 from 3, chances are extremely good, they won't do that. 

Interesting note:  The last time PSU came to Lincoln, we attempted 48 free throws.  In fact, since Nebraska has joined the Big Ten, games against PSU in Lincoln, have involved 48 free throw attempts combined (2011-12), 73 free throw attempts combined (2012-13) and 71 free throw attempts combined (2013-14).​

I'm trying to find a silver lining to Shields' injury.  I really hope he is able to attend the game.  One area I think this will benefit us is for next year, especially at the start of next year.  One thing I worried about next year is this team learning to play without Shavon.  I think this helps us.  We need to play well, and should be able to win this game, but we also should have beaten Northwestern and Samford.

I'm trying to find a silver lining to Shields' injury. I really hope he is able to attend the game. One area I think this will benefit us is for next year, especially at the start of next year. One thing I worried about next year is this team learning to play without Shavon. I think this helps us. We need to play well, and should be able to win this game, but we also should have beaten Northwestern and Samford.

Agreed. The optimist in me thought that, without Shields, atleast we are getting some valuable experience for next year.

They just beat Indiana with some hot/timely shooting, especially from Brandon Taylor, who scares be because he's hurt us before.  But I expect they, like us, can go from hot to cold in a single game, and I feel that we should be able to handle them, though it will be a closer game w/out Shavon.