Scenario in 2016-17

arondude

What are your expectations for next year.  Because we all have high hopes year after year, and let's face it, usually end up filling out a bracket without our team on it, I would like to ask the board a scenario question.  If next year, we have basically the same results as this year, what would you expect to be the path forward?

For example, if we go:

17-14, 9-9

Lose to Creighton + a couple questionables 

End up NIT or worse.

What would your opinion be of the state of the program, and how Eichorst would react?

Is it NCAA or bust next year for Miles?  Has he had enough time to make a big step forward?

What are your expectations for next year. Because we all have high hopes year after year, and let's face it, usually end up filling out a bracket without our team on it, I would like to ask the board a scenario question. If next year, we have basically the same results as this year, what would you expect to be the path forward?

For example, if we go:

17-14, 9-9

End up NIT or worse.

What would your opinion be of the state of the program, and how Eichorst would react?

Is it NCAA or bust next year for Miles? Has he had enough time to make a big step forward?

As for your last two questions, next year is not NCAA or bust. And has Miles had enough time to make a big step forward? Depends on what your definition of big step forward is. In my eyes, he has already made a huge step forward in terms of where the program was when he got here and where it is now. Made the NCAA tournament already. Now whether you believe that was luck or the team getting hot or whatever, the team still made it to the tournament. And in terms of recruiting, we are light years ahead of what Doc was able to do, even without being able to nail down a legit big man. Now, what we do next year will speak volumes to how well recruited talent is developed but I think we are headed in the right direction in that regard.

What people forget about this year as well is that the classes Miles had, he didn't plan on Petteway and Pitchford leaving us.  This year could have been a heck of a lot different had Petteway stayed (as discussed in the other thread).  But when Miles was putting together classes, he probably wasn't thinking about Petteway leaving, although there was a chance of it.  

But think of the starting five if TP had stayed:

Watson

TP

White

Shields

Jacobson

That's pretty damn good.  And the thing is, we have struggled this year with ball screens as well as doubling down in the post.  Well when you double down with TP instead of Benny Parker, that's a heck of a lot tougher passing angle you have to make to get it over a 6'7 guy instead of a 5'9 guy.  Same can be said on the ball screens.  You hedge hard, then reccover.  Well when the recovery man is 5'9 Parker instead of 6'7 TP, that again makes a huge difference.  

I think Miles had been outstanding.  Our attendance has been great, we are brining in better players than we ever have.  This year we were thrown a curve ball by Walt and TP leaving early.  Now he has a very solid core to build around and we just have to hope they all stick together.  They have a chance to be very good.

Not to put anyone here down but there is no next year. We only have this one. I know Shavon is out for a bit but our team is no one centered. Season is not over and we have a good chance to win big going down the stretch. Some how I wish because of what we are seeing a good feeling about next season was forming. Without any developement and momentum we won't be any different next season. Get behind this team and make the returnees excited about next year, then maybe. tux

What are your expectations for next year.  Because we all have high hopes year after year, and let's face it, usually end up filling out a bracket without our team on it, I would like to ask the board a scenario question.  If next year, we have basically the same results as this year, what would you expect to be the path forward?

For example, if we go:

17-14, 9-9

End up NIT or worse.

Is it NCAA or bust next year for Miles?  Has he had enough time to make a big step forward?

I think the tourney is a real possibility next year. I do not think we will have a true center but I think we will have two good PF in Jacobson and Morrow. I'm hoping they will be able to play at the same time next year since they will both be better defenders and add more versatility to their games. Watson, Webster, and White will be a good trio. Plus McVeigh and Anton Gill. AND I think Roby is gonna be a legit player right away. Personally, I think we will be stacked next year.

I think the tourney is a real possibility next year. I do not think we will have a true center but I think we will have two good PF in Jacobson and Morrow. I'm hoping they will be able to play at the same time next year since they will both be better defenders and add more versatility to their games. Watson, Webster, and White will be a good trio. Plus McVeigh and Anton Gill. AND I think Roby is gonna be a legit player right away. Personally, I think we will be stacked next year.

I think that your reason for optimism makes sense.  Although, seems like we do this every year, doesn't it?

As for the guys who don;t expect NCAA tourney, the lack of urgency will always make it difficult to expect more.

I like the players coming in, I hope we do a better job of getting them ready to win next year and beyond.

I think that your reason for optimism makes sense. Although, seems like we do this every year, doesn't it?

As for the guys who don;t expect NCAA tourney, the lack of urgency will always make it difficult to expect more.

I like the players coming in, I hope we do a better job of getting them ready to win next year and beyond.

The only year I comoletely expected to make the tourney was last year (year 3 of Tim Miles) which obviously we didnt.

For example, if we go:

17-14, 9-9

End up NIT or worse.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Unless you're a Creighton fan.

As good as these freshmen have been, I'm pretty much waiting until they're seniors to judge the job Miles has done.  We'll know by then if he's transformed this thing because seniors-freshman should be high caliber recruits at that point.  

For the most part, I've actually been pretty impressed with how the team has played this year given how young they are overall.  I hope the 3 quarter press becomes a staple moving forward.   

What people forget about this year as well is that the classes Miles had, he didn't plan on Petteway and Pitchford leaving us.  This year could have been a heck of a lot different had Petteway stayed (as discussed in the other thread).  But when Miles was putting together classes, he probably wasn't thinking about Petteway leaving, although there was a chance of it.  

But think of the starting five if TP had stayed:

Watson

TP

White

Shields

Jacobson

That's pretty damn good.  And the thing is, we have struggled this year with ball screens as well as doubling down in the post.  Well when you double down with TP instead of Benny Parker, that's a heck of a lot tougher passing angle you have to make to get it over a 6'7 guy instead of a 5'9 guy.  Same can be said on the ball screens.  You hedge hard, then reccover.  Well when the recovery man is 5'9 Parker instead of 6'7 TP, that again makes a huge difference.  

I think Miles had been outstanding.  Our attendance has been great, we are brining in better players than we ever have.  This year we were thrown a curve ball by Walt and TP leaving early.  Now he has a very solid core to build around and we just have to hope they all stick together.  They have a chance to be very good.

And as long as the season went well, TP would have been a positive asset. If things started to drift a bit for him, I could see him pulling the boat down with him. Seemed like a good kid, could hit some tough shots, I'm sure Miles would have great things to say about him, but for me he's not the type you want to build a program with. If you have a strong core both talent and character-wise then maybe he's a kid you take a chance on. That way if he doesn't work out you show him the door. Or if you are a building program hoping to maybe get lucky on a player, you take a risk on him. That's how he ended up here. I don't want to be a character assassin on a kid but I don't hold him in near as high regard as a player as many on this board. He was great for the program his first year and I thoroughly enjoyed the end of the season run. My hope is that Nebraska gets to the point where we are strong enough that we can take a flyer on that type of player but if he doesn't work out no one notices that he's not there the next year.

As good as these freshmen have been, I'm pretty much waiting until they're seniors to judge the job Miles has done.  We'll know by then if he's transformed this thing because seniors-freshman should be high caliber recruits at that point.  

For the most part, I've actually been pretty impressed with how the team has played this year given how young they are overall.  I hope the 3 quarter press becomes a staple moving forward.   

Pretty much nailed my thoughts, in 500 fewer words.

What are your expectations for next year. Because we all have high hopes year after year, and let's face it, usually end up filling out a bracket without our team on it, I would like to ask the board a scenario question. If next year, we have basically the same results as this year, what would you expect to be the path forward?

For example, if we go:

17-14, 9-9

End up NIT or worse.

Is it NCAA or bust next year for Miles? Has he had enough time to make a big step forward?

As for your last two questions, next year is not NCAA or bust. And has Miles had enough time to make a big step forward? Depends on what your definition of big step forward is. In my eyes, he has already made a huge step forward in terms of where the program was when he got here and where it is now. Made the NCAA tournament already. Now whether you believe that was luck or the team getting hot or whatever, the team still made it to the tournament. And in terms of recruiting, we are light years ahead of what Doc was able to do, even without being able to nail down a legit big man. Now, what we do next year will speak volumes to how well recruited talent is developed but I think we are headed in the right direction in that regard.

I don't see us light years ahead in recruiting compared to Doc??  If that was true, this conversation would not be happening.  I think it is also fair to compare  the depth and quality of the BIG now compared to Doc's last 3 years. Miles gets credit for a great transfer that woked out great (TP), considering taking any transfer is always a risk. TP will get paid to play somewhere.  The key is to find some more of those dudes and get them here.  So, do we have any Pros on the  roster now or any on the way?? 

Miles gets credit for a great transfer that woked out great (TP), considering taking any transfer is always a risk. TP will get paid to play somewhere.  The key is to find some more of those dudes and get them here.  

Uh...in addition to Andrew White and Anton Gill?

I don't see us light years ahead in recruiting compared to Doc??  If that was true, this conversation would not be happening.  I think it is also fair to compare  the depth and quality of the BIG now compared to Doc's last 3 years. Miles gets credit for a great transfer that woked out great (TP), considering taking any transfer is always a risk. TP will get paid to play somewhere.  The key is to find some more of those dudes and get them here.  So, do we have any Pros on the  roster now or any on the way?? 

You honestly don't see us being light years ahead of Doc in recruiting?  How many 4 star players did Doc recruit.......ZERO.  Next year, we are going to have a roster full of them.  That is being light years ahead of previous staff in recruiting.