If petteway and pitchford had stayed...

FredsSlacks

would we be a top 25 team?

i say yes.

watson, petteway, white, shields, pitchford.

that would have been fun.

I think petteway would have been more efficient with more weapons around him.

say what you want about pitchford, but i never remember him getting dominated the way Hammons and Stone dominated us the last 2 games.

you have to wonder if pitchford and petteway would make the same decision if they could do it over.

say what you want about pitchford, but i never remember him getting dominated the way Hammons and Stone dominated us the last 2 games.

Man, you and I have different memories of Walt then, because I recall him getting worked repeatedly by other bigs.

Like...abused.

I'd take a crippled Leslee Smith at the 5 spot any day over Walt.

would we be a top 25 team?

i say yes.

watson, petteway, white, shields, pitchford.

that would have been fun.

I think petteway would have been more efficient with more weapons around him.

you have to wonder if pitchford and petteway would make the same decision if they could do it over.

Actually Walt got abused by the 6'5" guy from Incarnate Word last year.  Scored at will vs. Walt.

There was a Walt sighting last night at Gate 25.  Strutting around with a young lady.  I had seen that movie before.

He was at the game last night. Kind of strange with how things went down, figured he wouldn't want to show his face around here for a while, let alone when he still could be suiting up for us.

Not sure about top 25 but we sure as hell would have several more wins right now with Petteway.

Would've been nice to roll out a Watson/petteway/shields/white/Pitchford lineup.

3 legitimate all conference type players. You don't see that often and there is no doubt we would've been hard to defend.

I think Miles inexperience dealing with NBA talent/early entries is partially at fault. No way would Bo Ryan or Izzo encouraged Terran to jump.

Might I add - a player that was on virtually no draft boards after his junior year, given a late 2nd round to indrafted projection by the committee.

Maybe saying miles "encouraged" him to isn't accurate but not sure if was the voice of reason that his player needed.

I would think Petteway would have a better stage to improve his NBA stock in the BIG his Senior year.  Unless he totally was not going to buy in to what Miles was selling for his roll this year.  Then that's on him.

Oh, and I do remember Pitchford did get abused on the blocks a lot last year.

I guess a couple of guys that unfortunately didn't buy into the program.  Thus the state of Nebrasketball is what it is now.

I wouldn't say that Petteway didn't buy into the program exactly.  He had a pretty difficult situation thrown at him with his mother's health.  It was more of an unfortunate circumstance with him IMO plus, while he definitely would have been an asset to this year's team it wouldn't have necessarily improved his NBA prospects.  Can't really blame him for making the choice he made.

I would think Petteway would have a better stage to improve his NBA stock in the BIG his Senior year.  Unless he totally was not going to buy in to what Miles was selling for his roll this year.  Then that's on him.

Oh, and I do remember Pitchford did get abused on the blocks a lot last year.

I guess a couple of guys that unfortunately didn't buy into the program.  Thus the state of Nebrasketball is what it is now.

I think that is a totally unfair statement about Petteway.  To lump him in with Pitchford as to attitude is absurd.  Terran cared so much more.  If anything too much.  He bought into the program and busted his ass for it.  

I thought it was a little strange that Pitch was at the game last night as well. However, I would take January/February 2014 Pitchford when he had a fire lit under him and Petteway from that same year without his mom's issues weighing on him, put them with this year's squad and that right there would be a team. I know, I know that's a lot of picking and choosing. Every team is different from a chemistry standpoint but if Petteway and Pitch could've put their differences aside and Pitchfords attitude was a little better those are some fine pieces.

Andrew White is a pure shooter. He's not a threat to create. Shavon is a great player, but though he's trying quite a bit this year, he is simply not that guy who can go get you a bucket. Petteway is that guy. We would spread the floor incredibly well with Petteway, White, and Shields on the floor at the same time. Imagine the slashing lanes Petteway would have with another shooter (White) on the floor. Imagine the space Shields would have with defenses worried about Petteway slashing and/or the kickout to White (or Pitchford who could pull a big out from under the rim). Dear goodness. Pressure relieved. Right now defenses are shadowing White and are able to have bigs sag off their man or double Shields when he drives. Plus we'd have that alpha dog, that just pure balls, go and get us a basket guy in Petteway. We don't have that player right now.

So many intangibles go into what a player brings to a team. I'm not sure Petteway could play as well with more talent around him. It feels absurd to even type that, but I believe it's kind of true in his case. A lot of factors went in to Petteway's decision to leave. I would imagine it hurt to see his stock drop during his Junior year (from where it was after his Sophomore year). Add in I think he had his degree, correct? Plus his mother's passing ... But I think #1 was where was the benefit to him of staying in the program personally? I don't know that he would've improved his stock a great deal, he had his degree and didn't have a lot more to prove at this level (not that he couldn't have improved). Why have one more year of not getting paid to play? I think leaving made sense for all parties. Would it have been nice to see what could've happened this year? Absolutely.

I think in general our ball movement is much better this year, but at times we get bogged down when Shields has to go one on one (much like last year with Petteway). I imagine next year we will see even better ball movement, but I'm not 100% convinced Miles knows how to coach offense very well.

As far as Pitchford, I just don't think he had the passion for the game one needs at this level. Not sure if it's an issue of attitude, partying ... or what. But it didn't seem to be working for either party by the end of the year. Again, there are intangibles to be considered beyond just potential. I think Pitchford's leading by example was not the best and maybe not a model of what you want young players new to the program to see in action.

I do think Petteway's overall maturity and leadership could have grown this year, but I'm not sure that would have happened. Again, intangibles are hard to predict. But body language and actions on the court do have an influence. I was growing tired of technicals and questioning way too many calls. Sometimes you have to know when to practice some acceptance. Again, leadership was a bit of an issue. He was a supremely hard worker however.

Most of this is speculation on my part, so this is just my $.02.

I like the fight I see in our team this year despite our results ... seems to be a nice sign for the future and staying competitive.

Right now defenses are shadowing White and are able to have bigs sag off their man or double Shields when he drives. Plus we'd have that alpha dog, that just pure balls, go and get us a basket guy in Petteway. We don't have that player right now.

But... if we have Benny attempting more 3s it will free up White for better looks. Benny has to have his feet set (not outabounds), a perfect pass and catch for a nice easy peasy stress free rhythm shot with no defender within 5 feet of him. It could draw that extra defender off of Shields to help in guarding Benny and free up more space for Shavon too.

We will never ever be able to transcend into the realistic aspirations and expectations of this program, its players and its coaches, that we as fans all HOPE for, if we are continuously entertaining the ghosts of our past .. let it go. The future is looking bright for this program. I'm excited as hell. We are a few pieces and a few plays away from being a pretty dam good team right now.

To me the big question to ponder .. will White decide to stay or enter the draft?

We will never ever be able to transcend into the realistic aspirations and expectations of this program, its players and its coaches, that we as fans all HOPE for, if we are continuously entertaining the ghosts of our past .. let it go. The future is looking bright for this program. I'm excited as hell. We are a few pieces and a few plays away from being a pretty dam good team right now.

To me the big question to ponder .. will White decide to stay or enter the draft?

If I recall, I thought I remembered that his family is very set on their son getting a college degree, but maybe I'm just making that up.

Right now defenses are shadowing White and are able to have bigs sag off their man or double Shields when he drives. Plus we'd have that alpha dog, that just pure balls, go and get us a basket guy in Petteway. We don't have that player right now.

But... if we have Benny attempting more 3s it will free up White for better looks. Benny has to have his feet set (not outabounds), a perfect pass and catch for a nice easy peasy stress free rhythm shot with no defender within 5 feet of him. It could draw that extra defender off of Shields to help in guarding Benny and free up more space for Shavon too.

I respectfully disagree. I think only our best shooter should ever take shots. Any shot taken by a lesser shooter is a wasted shot because it's shot by someone who's not as good at shooting. Therefore, only White should ever shoot and Benny should only be on the floor to distract the other team ("hey, look at the short dude!") while White shoots it.

I respectfully disagree. I think only our best shooter should ever take shots. Any shot taken by a lesser shooter is a wasted shot because it's shot by someone who's not as good at shooting. Therefore, only White should ever shoot and Benny should only be on the floor to distract the other team ("hey, look at the short dude!") while White shoots it.

Just to be clear, Norm, whom are you actually making fun of with this post?

Me.  ;)

I think it might make our program better in the long run that both these guys aren't here this year.

If both are here where does the mintues for Glynn and Ed come from. And as bad as we have wanted to keep them "happy" with playing time so they don't leave, which is something everybody has to worry about now a days. It would have been almost impossible for Glynn to get as many mintues as he has this year. Even if you take and give him Benny's mintues.

If Glynn et al stay for their four years we will be way ahead then if we would have only been really good this year.

i wonder about Terran just because Glynn, TP, White, Shields would be a dyamic open court tandem and i think could do some special things. But if terran stays, i dont think we see the development of Tai Webster, nor do we some some of the encouraging things from Glynn, Michael Jacobsen, or the even the development of Benny who is looking for his shot more. As far as Walt goes...there isnt anything i think he could provide this team with consistency over guys like Jacobsen and Morrow and Fuller, i'll take them every day and twice on sunday. 

If I recall, I thought I remembered that his family is very set on their son getting a college degree, but maybe I'm just making that up.

This is his 4th year in college. He'll likely graduate this year.

Me.  ;)

Ba ba ba Benny an the jacks ;)