Looking ahead (don't get mad, bro)

Norm Peterson

I agree NO EXCUSES, for not having a big guy. Miles needs to step back and look and say "what are We doing wrong that we can't get one". For example who showing a big guy around campus when they visit? Maybe need to change that!

That's your solution?  Change the person giving tours?  One would assume there isn't just one person assigned to giving big guys a tour of campus; that person probably changes for every visitor we've got.  Heck, it's the players who probably spend the most time with visitors (at least that's the way it is on football visits).

What about more hugs? Maybe they're not getting enough hugs on the tour.

I agree NO EXCUSES, for not having a big guy. Miles needs to step back and look and say "what are We doing wrong that we can't get one". For example who showing a big guy around campus when they visit? Maybe need to change that!

Nebraska's 2016-2017 roster by Rivals ranking:

Anton Gill, #50 (****)

Andrew White, #51 (****)

Glynn Watson, #82 (****)

Isaiah Roby, #104 (****)

Ed Morrow, #105 (****)

Jeriah Horne, #129 (***)

Tai Webster, (unrated foreign player)

Nick Fuller, (***)

Jacob Hammond, (***)

Michael Jacobson, (***)

Jack McVeigh, (unrated foreign player)

Bakari Evelyn, (***)

Jacob Hammond is a big man with legit height who spent time in the Rivals 150.  He was a legit recruiting target as a big man, who has just needed more time to develop than what you'd have hoped.  Michael Jacobson is projected to grow another inch or two and, if he does so, will have legit height, and he's proven to be a good pick up as an under-the-radar recruit.

I would be a whole lot more concerned about the lack of a dominant post presence as a reflection on Miles' recruiting ability if I didn't look up at that roster and see all those Rivals 150 guys.  And not one player on that roster is what I'd call a total stiff.  And, up to maybe last year, we've had plenty of those in the time since Danny Nee left.

A big question I have, is Jacobsen going to have a Ubel-esque career? He reminds me of a Ubel that shoots like Drevo. I wonder if we can't get production similar to this? Hopefully a big will come in and help....

Anton Gill, #50 (****) 12 points

Andrew White, #51 (****) 18 points

Glynn Watson, #82 (****) 12 points

Isaiah Roby, #104 (****) 8 points

Ed Morrow, #105 (****) 10 points

Jeriah Horne, #129 (***)

Tai Webster, (unrated foreign player) 12 points

Nick Fuller, (***)

Jacob Hammond, (***)

Michael Jacobson, (***) 10 points

Jack McVeigh, (unrated foreign player) 9 points

Bakari Evelyn, (***)

A big question I have, is Jacobsen going to have a Ubel-esque career? He reminds me of a Ubel that shoots like Drevo. I wonder if we can't get production similar to this? Hopefully a big will come in and help....

Anton Gill, #50 (****) 12 points

Andrew White, #51 (****) 18 points

Glynn Watson, #82 (****) 12 points

Isaiah Roby, #104 (****) 8 points

Ed Morrow, #105 (****) 10 points

Jeriah Horne, #129 (***)

Tai Webster, (unrated foreign player) 12 points

Nick Fuller, (***)

Jacob Hammond, (***)

Michael Jacobson, (***) 10 points

Jack McVeigh, (unrated foreign player) 9 points

Bakari Evelyn, (***)

I'd love to see us average 91 points a game. We'd win a lot of 'em.

Heard a few things recently from deep within the bowels of the program that may add to this discussion. Truth or hyperbole, these sources should know but were they exaggerating?

1. Anton Gil is a prolific scorer with a scorer's mentality. He shoots the three at a high % but also is quick and athletic enough to score off the dribble. In a recent scrimmage he scored over 30 points against the starters in less than 20 minutes and has done this before. He is improving in defense through his play on the scout team. Should be a starter from day 1 next season.

2. Michael Jacobson should not be through growing as he does not have hair on his legs. His Father is 6'10" so MJ may grow another couple inches.

3. Isaiah Roby should start next season, he is that good.

Given these comments are not hyperbole, here is how things could look next year.

PG Watson, Webster

SG Gil, Webster

SF Roby, White

PF White, McVeigh/Horne

C Jacobson, Morrow, Hammon

Heard a few things recently from deep within the bowels of the program that may add to this discussion. Truth or hyperbole, these sources should know but were they exaggerating?

1. Anton Gil is a prolific scorer with a scorer's mentality. He shoots the three at a high % but also is quick and athletic enough to score off the dribble. In a recent scrimmage he scored over 30 points against the starters in less than 20 minutes and has done this before. He is improving in defense through his play on the scout team. Should be a starter from day 1 next season.

2. Michael Jacobson should not be through growing as he does not have hair on his legs. His Father is 6'10" so MJ may grow another couple inches.

Given these comments are not hyperbole, here is how things could look next year.

PG Watson, Webster

SG Gil, Webster

SF Roby, White

PF White, McVeigh/Horne

Don't play with my emotions! I can get geeked over stuff like this.

I think Roby may start for the simple reason, that if we can't get a big man, do we keep trying to run traditional sets, or do we have white or Roby at the 4, and run more 5 out sets and see if we just can't outrun teams. Idk I prefer if we could get a big man, to allow morrow and Jacobsen more time at the 4

Roby's gonna have a bunch of guys to beat out. I don't expect him to start from day one. He'll be in the rotation, I think, but I'm not expecting him to start right away.

I wouldn't argue with you. What I was told could be hyperbole. I'm a lot more confident about the info on Gil.

What you said about Gill certainly fits with what I saw with my own eyes in the open scrimmage.  Kid is the goods.

Not so sure about Roby b/c I think he needs to put on some weight to be able to handle the physical play of the college game.

But Gill?  I think he's the goods.

PG Watson, Webster

SG Gil, Webster

SF Roby, White

PF White, McVeigh/Horne

Watson really just needs to add some bulk and work on getting more loft on his shots.  Everything else will just come through natural, normal development.

Tai's improved confidence is his biggest asset right now and the best reason for optimism about his senior year.

Gill looked like a total stud in the scrimmage.

As stated above, Roby needs to put on bulk.  Too skinny to really handle the physical natue of the 4 or even the 3 at this level.  Will be a rotation player for sure with a shot at breaking into the starting lineup if he's as good as I think he might be.

White -- we've seen what we got:  A great outside shooter who's a better rebounder than we ever expected and actually serviceable on D.

McVeigh will develop in the off-season but he needs to eat like an Australian race horse.  And continue to perfect his jump shot.

Morrow, as I've said before, could be a HUGE asset if he'd develop his offensive game more.  His athleticism could make him an elite player if he got his head in the game and worked on mid-range game and post moves.

Jacobson (hate to repeat myself too much) could legitimately have B1G big-man size.  Say he grows another inch or two.  At that point, what does he lack?  Explosiveness, mostly.  Love to see him turn that perimeter jumper into a reliable weapon (<40% from three.)  Couple post moves/counters wouldn't hurt.

I think there's a good chance that's your top 8 next year with Roby and Fuller for added depth.  Bakari and Jacob on the outside looking in?  And possibly a big man recruit if things work out the way we hope.  I'd also be down for another freshman guard if we can find one and a spot opens.

I still don't feel like I have a great grip on what Gill is going to do next year. Is he really a shooter and a slasher?

Miles noted the other day that Div 1 transfers have led a lot of his teams in scoring including Colorado St. With Andrew White scoring so efficiently I think we see what the difference most times you'll see between a guy who is top 50 and someone who is a three star or so. Gill has that sort of pedigree so it's not real hard seeing him start Day 1 next year.