Michael Jacobson

HuskerCager

Yup.  I will continue to suggest that Jordy will play more minutes than many here believe. 

Will they be quality minutes though?  No disrespect to Jordy at all...as he appears to have the makup of being a good one but true freshmen at the center position usually have a rough go at it.  With that said, I guess it won't take much to improve upon what we got out of the 5 last year.   

We have had a number of freshmen who have come in and became good contributors in year one.  Looking back, one could argue that taking a redshirt year may have been the better route, but quite frankly taking that route in basketball is rare these days.  Jordy has the size and he already has a good offensive arsenal.  He has the chance to become an excellent offensive threat for the Huskers.  But where he should really provide a benefit is on the defensive end.  He should be able to bang against the other "bigs" given his current size.  He also has a tremendous wing span and will protect our paint...something that we lacked last year. 

So yes, there will be ups and downs; and yes, there will be a learning curve; but yes, I do believe Jordy will provide quality minutes.  I am guessing somewhere between 18 to 25 minutes per game.  I also believe that Miles understands match ups.  There will be games that Jordy will be expected to handle more minutes than other games.  Freshmen will make freshmen mistakes, but I am guessing Jordy will be loaded and ready to go; especially when the Big Ten season begins.

Aleks Maric averaged 21 minutes, 8 points and 6.3 rebounds as a true freshman.  That was on a team that had John Turek as a returning starter at center.

Yup.  I will continue to suggest that Jordy will play more minutes than many here believe. 

Will they be quality minutes though?  No disrespect to Jordy at all...as he appears to have the makup of being a good one but true freshmen at the center position usually have a rough go at it.  With that said, I guess it won't take much to improve upon what we got out of the 5 last year.   

We have had a number of freshmen who have come in and became good contributors in year one.  Looking back, one could argue that taking a redshirt year may have been the better route, but quite frankly taking that route in basketball is rare these days.  Jordy has the size and he already has a good offensive arsenal.  He has the chance to become an excellent offensive threat for the Huskers.  But where he should really provide a benefit is on the defensive end.  He should be able to bang against the other "bigs" given his current size.  He also has a tremendous wing span and will protect our paint...something that we lacked last year. 

So yes, there will be ups and downs; and yes, there will be a learning curve; but yes, I do believe Jordy will provide quality minutes.  I am guessing somewhere between 18 to 25 minutes per game.  I also believe that Miles understands match ups.  There will be games that Jordy will be expected to handle more minutes than other games.  Freshmen will make freshmen mistakes, but I am guessing Jordy will be loaded and ready to go; especially when the Big Ten season begins.

Aleks Maric averaged 21 minutes, 8 points and 6.3 rebounds as a true freshman.  That was on a team that had John Turek as a returning starter at center.

very possible to be in that range if he's as good as we hope.

Maric was a polished product from the Australian Institute of Sport who went on to play a long pro career. He played that much because he was good and ready. 

I hope Jordy is good enough to play those kind of minutes but I look at his relative lack of experience and the sort of numbers that all the other post players that haven't come here have put up and Ed Morrow's 13 mpg, 4.1 ppg, and 3.3 reb freshman line seems a lot more likely.

• 2 weeks later...

He's grown an inch.  Also added 16# of muscle so he's at least in the 230 range.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/stronger-jacobson-eager-to-take-his-game-to-natural-position/article_9fc892cc-14f1-5ec2-b548-00645a211ad0.html

Between him, Morrow, and Jordy we have 3 legit B1G sized post players.

I think Jacobson is a sleeper for becoming a true 3pt threat for us next year.  Kid has a nice looking coach's son shot.  I'm really excited about the work in the weight room he and Morrow are doing.  We're going have a nasty couple of power forwards next season. 

Actually he has a son of a doctor shot :lol: -- but he indeed has a good touch from the outside and a fundamentally sound shot.  Remember, he really did not play with his back to the basket in HS.  His buddy that is now part of the Iowa football team was the "post" player.  So MJ knows what to do outside of the paint.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/stronger-jacobson-eager-to-take-his-game-to-natural-position/article_9fc892cc-14f1-5ec2-b548-00645a211ad0.html

He's grown an inch.  Also added 16# of muscle so he's at least in the 230 range.

Shoes or no shoes?

Shoes or no shoes?

I assume all of these are measured with shoes on as the players wear them during the games.

Shoes or no shoes?

I assume all of these are measured with shoes on as the players wear them during the games.

That was just my lame attempt at resurrecting an inside HHC joke.

Question:  If Jordy wasn't looking like he can play legit minutes, then why would the local sports news guys continue to do stories about how Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobson both are looking forward to being able to play their natural 4 position?  It's Jordy that will allow them to do that if anyone will.

Mention of John Turek - heck, I would have taken the junior/senior version of Turek for defensive purposes last year. He was pretty athletic and at 6'9 would have provided good minutes. Granted, the guy missed a load of chip shots around the basket :( .  

Agree, although I would describe him as very athletic.  If his skills were anywhere near his size and athleticism.......we woudlnt' have gotten him.   ;)

Yup. I will continue to suggest that Jordy will play more minutes than many here believe.

Will they be quality minutes though? No disrespect to Jordy at all...as he appears to have the makup of being a good one but true freshmen at the center position usually have a rough go at it. With that said, I guess it won't take much to improve upon what we got out of the 5 last year.

Question: If Jordy wasn't looking like he can play legit minutes, then why would the local sports news guys continue to do stories about how Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobson both are looking forward to being able to play their natural 4 position? It's Jordy that will allow them to do that if anyone will.

Are they saying Ed's going to play the four? I get the impression they're saying Ed will split minutes at the five with Jacobson getting the four minutes.

I very well may be reading it incorrectly.

Yup. I will continue to suggest that Jordy will play more minutes than many here believe.

Will they be quality minutes though? No disrespect to Jordy at all...as he appears to have the makup of being a good one but true freshmen at the center position usually have a rough go at it. With that said, I guess it won't take much to improve upon what we got out of the 5 last year.

Question: If Jordy wasn't looking like he can play legit minutes, then why would the local sports news guys continue to do stories about how Ed Morrow and Michael Jacobson both are looking forward to being able to play their natural 4 position? It's Jordy that will allow them to do that if anyone will.
Are they saying Ed's going to play the four? I get the impression they're saying Ed will split minutes at the five with Jacobson getting the four minutes.

I very well may be reading it incorrectly.

I'm guessing we see Ed with playing time at both spots. Ed is more of a traditional power forward at the 4 spot while Jacobson is more of a new age 4 who can face the basket and spread the floor. The beauty is Miles can switch things up to exploit mismatches. But Ed will play both spots. The way minutes are distributed each game will probably be matchup dependent.

We have 80 minutes to distribute with our 4 & 5 positions.  Arguably you have the following individuals vying for those minutes: Jordy, MJ, Ed, Jeriah, Nick and possibly Jack. 

We have 80 minutes to distribute with our 2 & 3 positions.  Arguably you have the following individuals vying for those minutes:  Anton, Tai, Jack, Zay, Evan and possibly MJ.

We have 40 minutes to distribute with our PG position.  Those that may share time with Glynn are Tai, Anton and Evan, and possibly Zay.