Creighton Game

big red22

I know that nothing really matters until the final resume is in.  I just want to know what everyone reaction would be if we lost the game?  I see a ton of positives in this team, but losing to Creighton this year I think would spoil the fun?

I really think this Creighton game will ease my mind a bit if we come out with a win.  Miles is due for a victory over McDermott, and I truly feel we have more talent.

This team is young, but with the close play against all of our top 25 opponents -8 minutes at Villanova.  I think we should win out, but with that thinking could cause for a huge disappointment!

Also like to mention... I HATE LOSING TO THE ****ERS

I won't go that far.  Yes, would love to have the Huskers win it, but it won't ruin my view of the season if we lose.

I think we're a better team than maybe a lot of us thought going into the season.  I think we're a lot better team than most of the CU fans thought we would be.  Still, they're not a bunch of no-talent losers.  They have some guys who can play the game.

I think we CAN win that game, but I don't necessarily think we will win it.  I think we need to at least split the CU and Rhode Island games, though, so if we lose to CU on the road, we really need to get a "W" against R.I.  I think we might win both, though.  And I'd be happy as heck to see it.

With all due respect to Abilene Christian, we're a good enough defensive team to keep them at bay.

Creighton is a good team...not great....not bad...good and especially at home. You could say the same thing about Arizona St. Our showing against Miami and even Villanova indicates to me that we're capable of defending a 3pt shooting team, which the Jays most certainly are.

Is the key to slowing the Jays down to key on Mo Watson or is it to know that most of those guys are capable of scoring when open so it's advantageous to not key on anyone? Watson is a good PG...he generates a lot of assists, gets to the FT line, and is an efficient scorer. On the flipside he's not a 3 pt shooter (Benny has almost twice as many attempts), turns the ball over a bit, and isn't a great FT shooter. Don't we man up on everyone, take away open and rhythm 3s, and let Benny man up on Watson?  What does everyone else think. 

I don't think we can expect to pull an Indiana and expect the Jays to shoot under 20% from 3...we need to figure out how we're going to score upwards of 80 points if needed. Good passing is going to find open looks and easy baskets against what looks to be Jays team just concerned with slowing the other team down. Last year it was easy enough to look at a spreadsheet and figure out you can just key on Shields. This year we have multiple, efficient offensive players. Maybe taking away White or Shields is the answer...maybe not.

The Jays have the ball control advantage on paper whereas the Huskers have the rebounding advantage. The Huskers are better at drawing fouls, the Jays are better at not committing them (except for Zach Hansen...you should attack that guy anytime he's in the game). This stuff matters because if we don't outshoot the Jays (and we're actually capable of that this year), we either need to out-possession or out-FT them to win.

It's going to be tough sledding in Omaha but this is the first time in the Tim Miles era I see a Husker team that isn't a bad matchup for the type of tempo/3pt team that Creighton trots out. I like our chances. 

I know that nothing really matters until the final resume is in.  I just want to know what everyone reaction would be if we lost the game?  I see a ton of positives in this team, but losing to Creighton this year I think would spoil the fun?

I took to long to post.

They're not a bad team and have a good home court advantage. Yeah it would suck though we haven't won in Omaha in 20 years so it's not like anyone shouldn't be emotionally equipped to handle a loss. Let us hope the lessons we've learned from dropping games to better teams will be the edge we need.

With all due respect to Abilene Christian, we're a good enough defensive team to keep them at bay.

Creighton is a good team...not great....not bad...good and especially at home. You could say the same thing about Arizona St. Our showing against Miami and even Villanova indicates to me that we're capable of defending a 3pt shooting team, which the Jays most certainly are.

Is the key to slowing the Jays down to key on Mo Watson or is it to know that most of those guys are capable of scoring when open so it's advantageous to not key on anyone? Watson is a good PG...he generates a lot of assists, gets to the FT line, and is an efficient scorer. On the flipside he's not a 3 pt shooter (Benny has almost twice as many attempts), turns the ball over a bit, and isn't a great FT shooter. Don't we man up on everyone, take away open and rhythm 3s, and let Benny man up on Watson?  What does everyone else think. 

I don't think we can expect to pull an Indiana and expect the Jays to shoot under 20% from 3...we need to figure out how we're going to score upwards of 80 points if needed. Good passing is going to find open looks and easy baskets against what looks to be Jays team just concerned with slowing the other team down. Last year it was easy enough to look at a spreadsheet and figure out you can just key on Shields. This year we have multiple, efficient offensive players. Maybe taking away White or Shields is the answer...maybe not.

The Jays have the ball control advantage on paper whereas the Huskers have the rebounding advantage. The Huskers are better at drawing fouls, the Jays are better at not committing them (except for Zach Hansen...you should attack that guy anytime he's in the game). This stuff matters because if we don't outshoot the Jays (and we're actually capable of that this year), we either need to out-possession or out-FT them to win.

It's going to be tough sledding in Omaha but this is the first time in the Tim Miles era I see a Husker team that isn't a bad matchup for the type of tempo/3pt team that Creighton trots out. I like our chances. 

Totally agree, Dimes.  I think I'd mentioned somewhere on here (maybe in a PM to someone, can't recall) that Benny vs. Mo matches strength against strength.  Benny's best trait is his straight man D; Mo's is his ability to create offense through dribbling and dishing.  We'll see if Benny can man up.  I think he can.  Can they stop us on the other end?

I'd say their advantages over us would include having an experienced 7 footer holding down the paint.  HOWEVER, Groselle isn't a quick player.  He's not the player that Jekiri was from Miami.  And he's only averaging 20 minutes/game.  Yeah, he's a matchup issue for us, but he's not likely to log a lot of minutes and Hammond did an admirable job against Jekiri last time out, so we're maybe not as mis-matched there as we might have feared going into the season.

Our advantages, though, include Shields over Cole Huff and White over their freshman Kyri Thomas.  I think -- and have always said -- I thought Thomas was a great get for them and an under-the-radar steal of a recruit.  Not surprised that he ends up starting.  But he's 6'3, matched up against a 6'7" shooter like White.  Huff is a good player, but I just think Shields is better.

Then, Tai vs. the chronically injured Isaiah Zierden.  Zierden is a terrific shooter, no question.  But Tai is a pretty darned good defender.  He's also longer than Zierden and more athletic. 

Finally, the bench.  They have a solid but unexceptional bench.  I think our 4 true freshmen hold their own against their upper classmen. 

I think it'll be a really interesting game and, like you said, I think this is the first time in the Miles era where we really represent a match-up issue for them.  It won't be so easy as to just trying to shut down Shavon and taking your chances with a streaky Petteway. 

Our advantages, though, include Shields over Cole Huff and White over their freshman Kyri Thomas.  I think -- and have always said -- I thought Thomas was a great get for them and an under-the-radar steal of a recruit.  Not surprised that he ends up starting.  But he's 6'3, matched up against a 6'7" shooter like White.  Huff is a good player, but I just think Shields is better.

Then, Tai vs. the chronically injured Isaiah Zierden.  Zierden is a terrific shooter, no question.  But Tai is a pretty darned good defender.  He's also longer than Zierden and more athletic. 

I'd consider guarding Thomas with Tai and then rotating White and Shields on Huff and Zierden...depending on who you need to rest/keep out of foul trouble.

I like our defense, and that usually wins games.

I think once we win one we might win a few in a row. I am trying to not get too up or too about the game, the week leading up to it and the after math. Not taking Creighton lightly but not going to swallow coal and poop out diamonds either.

Just going to enjoy the game as I do with all of them.

I'd consider guarding Thomas with Tai and then rotating White and Shields on Huff and Zierden...depending on who you need to rest/keep out of foul trouble.

That would keep some length against their shooter while putting an athlete on their athlete.  Hmmm.  Interesting thought.  Makes sense.  You put Tai on whoever they have outside of their PG who's most likely to attack the rim on the drive.  That's probably Thomas.

CU is a good team at home, so no doubt this game will be tough.  NU does have a good defensive team, so will be interesting to see how this game goes.  CU will be favored to win, as they should at home.  Last year we were favored to win and they beat us, so hopefully we can do the same this year.

I'm just hoping we shoot the ball well in this game. 

Will the season be ruined with a loss?  Not at all.  Still will be tons of games left this season to do well.  As Norm pointed out, if we slip up at CU, we will really need to beat Rhode Island at home.

To me the biggest key is that the defense absolutely cannot collapse when Mo Watson drives.  The defenders have to stay on the shooters, and Creighton has a lot of them.  Watson loves to drive and kick, and sometimes he predetermines his "kick", which is how many of his turnovers occur.  The defense has to stay disciplined.  Like Dimes said, put Benny on him straight up and let the best man win.  If Watson scores over 20, it may not be such a bad thing.

I like our defense, and that usually wins games.

I think once we win one we might win a few in a row. I am trying to not get too up or too about the game, the week leading up to it and the after math. Not taking Creighton lightly but not going to swallow coal and poop out diamonds either.

Just going to enjoy the game as I do with all of them.

Although, if you could ... that would be a pretty sweet trick, huh?  

I took to long to post.

They're not a bad team and have a good home court advantage. Yeah it would suck though we haven't won in Omaha in 20 years so it's not like anyone shouldn't be emotionally equipped to handle a loss. Let us hope the lessons we've learned from dropping games to better teams will be the edge we need.

NU won in '04 in the opening round of the N.I.T. with a Nate Johnson leaner for the W.