Some stats to think about.....

bkamler

I spent some time creating a chart which covers stats through the Tennessee game.

I took the various stats like points and rebounds for each player and converted them into 30 minute segment showing what each player is averaging per 30 minutes. For example if a player played 100 minutes and scored 50 points that would equate to .50 points per minute X 30 equals 15 points if he played 30 minutes per game.

Avg. points per game:

19.14  White         (He has been as advertised)

16.30  Shields

12.50  Jacobson   (Surprising point production mostly at the line where he is deadly)

12.33  Watson      (Just about right)

12.16  Evelyn        (Doesn't play much but surprising)

12.00  McVeigh     (Good production off the bench)

10.66  Webster      (If he can keep it up we are going to win some unexpected games)

9.91  Hammond   (Decent)

7.84  Morrow

7.76  Fuller

4.66  Parker   

Avg. rebounds per game:

10.42  Jacobson     (This tells me he needs to play more against the big's coming up)

9.64   Hammond    (Same here if he can stay out of foul trouble)

8.06   Morrow         (Got to cut down on TO's and hit free throws to play more)

7.76   Fuller            (For his size, he's a banger but has to start hitting his free throws)

6.41   Shields         (Steady Eddy)

6.00   McVeigh       (Decent for his light weight frame)

5.71   White            (Helping out on the RB's)

4.92   Webster        (See above)

4.03   Evelyn

2.88   Watson

1.72   Parker

Avg. free throws attempted per game:

8.28   Fuller            (Like I said he's a banger but got to hit more of them)

7.50   Jacobson      (Getting to the line and he hits them)

6.49   Evelyn           (Benny needs to watch how he does it)

5.03   Shields

3.75   Hammond

3.70   Watson

3.31   White

3.24   Morrow

2.95   Webster

2.77   McVeigh

0.86   Parker           (This is embarrassing for a point guard but not surprising)

Top players with steals in order:

Watson

Shields

Parker

Players with most turnovers in order:

Morrow      (Got to improve on this to play more)

Shields

Webster

White

Least turnovers in order:

McVeigh      (Great for a freshman)

Watson        (Great to see for a young point guard)

Hammond

Morrow's turnovers have been mostly charges and illegal screens.  I agree he has to cut this number down, but part of it is the way the officials call the game.

In other words, he's not been guilty of a lot of travelling violations or double-dribbles or getting his pocket picked.  A couple of times that I've seen, he's been called for charges on moves to the basket where he scored and the baskets were waived off due to an offensive player control foul (charging = turnover) but, in replay video, they seemed awfully nitpicky and it was contact that probably wouldn't have gotten called 90% of the time.

Those who want to see Morrow score more need to understand that the ball hasn't gone through the post very much this season.  Our points in the paint come mostly on drives by guards and when we have dished on drives, Jacob Hammond has been the primary beneficiary.  Meanwhile, Morrow is D-ing up on the opponent's post player and setting ball screens without getting any kind of pick-and-roll action.

I personally think Ed is doing yeoman's work, though the stat sheet might not show it.

As to Benny and freethrow shooting, I think one of the big reasons Benny doesn't go to the line often is because when he does drive, he's got to create a lot of space to get the shot off due to his lack of length (a/k/a he's short.)  So, he's trying to stay AWAY from defenders, drive past them, get beyond them, in order to get a shot off, rather than driving into them to either create contact and a foul or make the shot.  So, you're probably not going to see a lot of FTs from Benny ever.  It's just a function of his size more than anything else.

As to Benny and freethrow shooting, I think one of the big reasons Benny doesn't go to the line often is because when he does drive, he's got to create a lot of space to get the shot off due to his lack of length (a/k/a he's short.)  So, he's trying to stay AWAY from defenders, drive past them, get beyond them, in order to get a shot off, rather than driving into them to either create contact and a foul or make the shot.  So, you're probably not going to see a lot of FTs from Benny ever.  It's just a function of his size more than anything else.

Unfortunately he's never been a "run into a guy to draw a foul" sort of player, which with his speed he could do.

This is purely a question, not a leading question that I know the answer to, but how much of Jacobsen's per30 numbers are because he's the best player out there in clean-up/blowout time?

I had the same thought.  Although Jacobson does get fouled and when he does he generally hits his free throws. 

Bakari Evelyn, on the other hand, his favorable numbers are probably entirely from mop up duty.