Early returns: How have Evelyn, Jacobson and McVeigh measured up so far to what you expected when they were signed?

Norm Peterson

How do these freshmen measure up to your expectations when they were signed?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How has Bakari Evelyn measured up?

• Way better than I expected
    • Quite a bit better than I expected
    • A little better than I expected
    • About what I expected
    • Not quite as good as I hoped
    • Not nearly as good as I hoped
  2. 2. How has Michael Jacobson measured up?

• About what I expected
  3. 3. How has Jack McVeigh measured up?

• About what I expected

Just curious.  Vote based on what you honestly expected from these players before you saw them on the Spain trip.  I'm curious as to whether what you've seen so far has lived up to the hype or been a disappointment to you. 

Too many times we've worried about over-hyping a particular recruit.  And the general consensus has always seemed to be that players were over-hyped and most of the time failed to immediately live up to the expectations that were set based upon that hype.

I know it's really early -- 7 games into the season -- but 7 games in, what  are your impressions?  So far so good?  Or jury still out?  Or ... are you harboring some disappoinment?

Let's hear it.

Bakari- the fact that he's good enough to get in to games this year, albeit only a couple minutes, tells me he's better than I thought. Maybe it's only to entice him not to transfer, but still

Micheal- jury's still out due to his foot injury. Once he plays more it will be easier to judge

Jack- wow this guy can shoot.

McVeigh almost goes without saying.  He's way better than I expected.  I thought he'd be a decent perimeter shooter, but that's about it.  I didn't expect him to see the floor much this year and certainly not be a significant contributor.  I think Kamdy once suggested that McVeigh would be like what we were hoping we'd get out of Nick Fuller.  I thought that was optimistic.  I expected he'd need some time to adjust more to the American game.  If you'd asked me to list a top 8 going into the season, I would have -- and did -- not have had him in it.  Look at my thread about last year's top 8 vs. this year's.  I changed it after the Spain trip because I thought it was clear he'd be in the rotation.  That was NOT my expectation when he was signed.  McVeigh has been a huge pleasant surprise:  Above average shooter; smooth if somewhat low-average athleticism; great length; and top notch hoops IQ.  Instant contributor.  Way beyond what I expected.

Jacobson came in without a lot of fanfare.  His best other offer was from Iowa State.  For football.  Beyond that, he wasn't heavily recruited.  But you figured if he had a D1 football offer as a tight end, he must have decent speed and good feet.  Still, where were the other offers that would confirm he was a legit recruit?  Well, he gets here and he's certainly legit.  I question his defense, still.  But he is a really good shooter for a kid his size.  I expect he'll eventually be a better perimeter shooting threat than Brandon Ubel ever was.  Mike has good shooting form and his free throw shooting shows he has touch as well.  He's also a bit bigger and stronger than I expected I think he has pretty good upside.  I voted that he's quite a bit better than I expected.

Historically, high school recruits who've still been available in April haven't panned out so well for us.  JR Strowbridge was probably the best of them that I can remember.  James Reynolds would have been on the other end of the spectrum.  I wasn't expecting much from Bakari in spite of what the sports journalists were saying to pump him up a bit.  But as I said in an earlier thread, he's surprised me.  He's actually better than I thought he'd be.  He hasn't shot the ball very well so far this year, but in the limited action he had at the very beginning of the season, he made some nice passes when he got into the game.  And in the public scrimmage, he showed some pretty solid shooting touch.  He's not getting rotation-level minutes, and there's a reason for that.  But he's still a bit better than I thought he'd be.

McVeigh almost goes without saying. He's way better than I expected. I thought he'd be a decent perimeter shooter, but that's about it. I didn't expect him to see the floor much this year and certainly not be a significant contributor. I think Kamdy once suggested that McVeigh would be like what we were hoping we'd get out of Nick Fuller. I thought that was optimistic. I expected he'd need some time to adjust more to the American game. If you'd asked me to list a top 8 going into the season, I would have -- and did -- not have had him in it. Look at my thread about last year's top 8 vs. this year's. I changed it after the Spain trip because I thought it was clear he'd be in the rotation. That was NOT my expectation when he was signed. McVeigh has been a huge pleasant surprise: Above average shooter; smooth if somewhat low-average athleticism; great length; and top notch hoops IQ. Instant contributor. Way beyond what I expected.

Yes I was very high on him from day one. My initial comparison was Sam Dekker lite. I then said I feel he ends up somewhere between Aaron White of Iowa and Sam Dekker when all is said and done. I still feel that way. I just felt like he's a kid that is a basketball player much like Aaron White was. They don't do anything "amazing" but do everything very well and at this level can be a guy that gets you 16 and 8 and fill in a few other categories as well on the stat sheet. I can only hope he continues his progression as he grows and learns more about his game and becomes the player I feel he is capable of being.

Then I can only hope that Roby and Horne end up being what I think they can be and we will be talking in a couple years with progression from the other guys on the team.

McVeigh has been a very pleasant surprise.  He is pretty much what I thought Nick Fuller would be.  From the bits of information I had heard about Jack, I thought he would struggle at first adjusting to the level of athletes he would face in college.  His three point shooting is much better than I expected.  We got a good one.