Early returns: How have Morrow, Watson and White measured up so far to what you expected when they were signed?

Norm Peterson

How do these players measure up to your expectations when they were signed?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How has Ed Morrow measured up?

• Way better than I expected
    • Quite a bit better than I expected
    • A little better than I expected
    • About what I expected
    • Not quite as good as I hoped
    • Not nearly as good as I hoped
  2. 2. How has Glynn Watson measured up?

• About what I expected
  3. 3. How has Andrew White, III measured up?

• About what I expected

Just curious.  Vote based on what you honestly expected from these players before you saw them on the Spain trip.  I'm curious as to whether what you've seen so far has lived up to the hype or been a disappointment to you. 

Too many times we've worried about over-hyping a particular recruit.  And the general consensus has always seemed to be that players were over-hyped and most of the time failed to immediately live up to the expectations that were set based upon that hype.

I know it's really early -- 7 games into the season -- but 7 games in, what  are your impressions?  So far so good?  Or jury still out?  Or ... are you harboring some disappoinment?

Let's hear it.

With Ed, it's close. I expected a little more scoring and rebounding out of him. I think it'll come with time and staying out of foul trouble

I think Glynn had trouble getting acclimated early, but he is showing flashes of greatness now. Great passing, has the ability to score, and always seems to get a few steals a game

I was worried and white because I didn't know if his shot would translate to the games. So far it has for the most part. Also rebounds hard and seems like a great teammate.

To me, Glynn and Drew are at the very least meeting expectations. Glynn seems to be past his early nerves now and is just playing his game. My opinion of him since recruiting him out of high school hasn't changed much, if any. The early evidence to me is overwhelming that he's a brilliant talent who should absolutely flourish under Miles and Beckner, and I remain convinced that we'll have the best PG in the B1G at some point down the road a couple of years. This was a huge mistake by John Groce. 

Drew has had moments of inconsistency and foul trouble, but he's a heck of a player who will be extremely valuable to this team over the next two years. He's not Terran, but he's a very solid player. 

Ed is the guy who thus far has not met my expectations, and perhaps my expectations were unrealistic, but I expect more from him in terms of scoring and rebounding, as MichHusker already noted. I still have confidence in Ed and feel that Molinari will develop him into an outstanding PF in time. Size is definitely an issue for Ed, though, as he will frequently find himself guarding a guy who's taller and heavier than he is.

For Ed, I voted that he's about what I expected.  He hasn't put up a ton of points yet, and I am somewhat disappointed in his freethrow shooting, because I think he is better than his FT results so far.  But he's playing out of position and doing yoeman's work on D1 posts.  He's every bit as athletic as I hoped and has every bit the motor that I hoped he'd have.  I knew he wasn't a scorer coming in based on stats and other things I'd seen/read.  But I think he could be a huge offensive weapon IF: 1) he plays the power forward spot; and 2) he works on some post moves.  With his quickness and athleticism and long arms, he has the ability to gain separation from defenders to get shots in the paint, provided he doesn't try to turn and face the basket every time he gets the ball.  I think in time, he'll be more of a scorer.  However, for right now, he's pretty much the player I hoped/expected he would be.

I voted that Andrew was a little better.  Might even have gone a lot better.  His career 3-pt accuracy from playing at KU was not the greatest and I had some worries that he wouldn't translate to prime time as one of the featured players.  That fear has been put to rest.  He's not quite as skilled with the ball as I had hoped, but he's a better rebounder and he gives us some beefiness on defense that we'd otherwise lack.  So, in spite of the hype, I actually think Andrew is maybe even a bit better than advertised.

I said Glynn Watson was a little better than expected only because I expected he'd be really, really good and he's even better than what I'd hoped.  That's a good thing; a very good thing.

These players that represent the future of Husker hoops show that we're in very good hands not just for down the road but in the immediate present as well.

Also in the Watson thread:

Watson and Morrow would be a good pair to build a great class around. 

I'd like to see White in the fold as well.

Hey, a fella can dream, can't he?

Lets just grab:

Ed Morrow, PF (Rivals150)
Glynn Watson, PG (Rivals150)
D'Jery Baptiste, C
Andrew White III, SF (former Rivals150, transfer)
DeShawn Freeman, SG (JUCO AA)

...and shut it down.  Heck with it. 

Seriously though...I'd be giddy about getting 1 of those 5.  2 or more is fantasy territory.

I look at this group of newcomers as a whole rather than individuals.  They make me really excited about the future of Nebraska basketball, not only in years to come, but what they can do once conference season rolls around.  Almost all of them have given quality minutes so far after seven games, and I expect them to contribute more once roles are defined as this season progresses.

I would vote them a little bit better than expected, but by season's end they move up to quite a bit better.

To me, Glynn and Drew are at the very least meeting expectations. Glynn seems to be past his early nerves now and is just playing his game. My opinion of him since recruiting him out of high school hasn't changed much, if any. The early evidence to me is overwhelming that he's a brilliant talent who should absolutely flourish under Miles and Beckner, and I remain convinced that we'll have the best PG in the B1G at some point down the road a couple of years. This was a huge mistake by John Groce.

Drew has had moments of inconsistency and foul trouble, but he's a heck of a player who will be extremely valuable to this team over the next two years. He's not Terran, but he's a very solid player.

Ed is the guy who thus far has not met my expectations, and perhaps my expectations were unrealistic, but I expect more from him in terms of scoring and rebounding, as MichHusker already noted. I still have confidence in Ed and feel that Molinari will develop him into an outstanding PF in time. Size is definitely an issue for Ed, though, as he will frequently find himself guarding a guy who's taller and heavier than he is.

Just curious what you were expecting from White? He is averaging 15 PPG in only 24 minutes a game. Shooting 50% from the field and 47% from 3. I would say that is pretty darn good.

I have only "seen" the Villanova game, the rest I've listened to on broadcasts so my opinion isn't of much value.  I like that we are 5-2 and seem to be playing a team game.  I'm not sure that the B1G is as strong this year and that if this team improves it might be more competitive in the B1G than I originally hoped would occur.

I wonder what people expected out of Ed Morrow that so many have voted that he's not as good as they expected (and 2 so far even voting that he's not nearly as good as they hoped.) 

My expectations have been based on the fact that he's a freshman.  When you see me talking up some recruit in a post, keep in mind that my expectations take into account their year in school. 

As I said above, Ed has every bit the athleticism and motor that I'd anticipated, which was quite a lot of motor and athleticism.  So, the bar I'd set for expectations was pretty high and I feel he's met it.  He's not better than I thought.  Better would mean having more offensive skill.  He can get there, but he's not there yet.  Then again, I never expected he was going to be an offensive weapon for us this year.  I did expect he'd be in the rotation and he is. 

For those who say he's not as good as you thought he'd be, I'd like to hear your explanation.

I think cip has a pretty good take for my sign2cents.gif!   Not all highly-regarded recruits (maybe not even any) are going to come in gang-busters right out of the chute!  Some will immediately achieve in certain elements of their games and disappoint in others. 

Not that I want the right to reserve judgement; rather, a little more time to adapt and develop will make for a lot more meaningful poll results (not quite what I had in mind but just look at Tai's development over the past two games; and Benny)  Like cip, I had to vote 'a little better than I expected' in each instance.  But that is only for the Present; each has shown their moments of excellence and what they could become.  The increase in raw talent over Miles tenure is phenomenal.  :)

I said Ed a little below what expected. I felt like he would be doing better down low than he is because of his experience against guys like Okafor and the like in AAU and high school ball. To be fair though the rule changes probably have hindered him some because he has gotten fouls called that probably wouldn't have before.

Glynn a little above because I figured he might need some scoring "transition" at this level but seems to have adjusted well.

As for Andrew I said a little above. We all knew he could shoot it well but wanted to see his defense and ability to score from inside the arc. He's done well enough in those areas and think they will only get better as the season goes on.

Ed is pretty much what I expected.

AWIII exceeded my expectations a little, since I was expecting him to be almost exclusively a deadly shooter and I feel like his game is more balanced than that.

Watson falls a tad below my expectations, but more as a product of his 'ceiling' rather than actual production.  Given how flat his natural shot is, I'm worried that he will always be a below average free throw and three point shooter for his position.  Obviously the rest of his game is up to snuff though.  

I voted a little below what I expected so far but I didn't factor in the way the games are being called this year.  Ed looks the part but fouls have limited his production.  As he adjusts to the way the game is called and gets more comfortable facing college bigs, I have no doubt he'll be better than fine.

Speaking of Ed, did anybody else hear what was said during one of our games this year? The color man don't remember who said that Ed is moving when he sets the screen, but that the guards are going to him too fast and not letting him get that set.

Something to look at as the year goes on.

Vs I believe Cincy, Watson did this. Miles actually pulled him and talked to him. The guards are not letting the big man get set, therefore he is moving when he's trying to set the screen.