uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 6 - cincy

FredsSlacks

TimSmiles, when you get the chance, edit the topic title so that we keep the volume/edition stuff straight.  That's been going on too many years here not to keep it going.

Good job to Tai showing up tonight, especially when the refs had a little thing for Shavon tonight (boy, wasn't that frustrating to watch.)

See the bench shortening tonight.  That's probably what it's going to be going forward.  Other than the remaining cupcakes, we're probabaly looking at 9 guys.  Basically the same 9 we saw tonight.

Nice effort especially with Shavon sitting with foul trouble most of the night.  Hell of an effort against a ranked team.  Encouraging watching that.  And I totally agree with what the announcers said about the youthful Huskers growing up tonight.

Post game quotes

Nebraska Head Coach Tim Miles
On tonight’s game:
“First of all I thought Tai (Webster), under the conditions, played a terrific basketball game, one of his finest in a Huskers uniform. We really negated that because our difference maker, Shavon Shields, only got to play 20 minutes. You can see he has a big impact on the game and because we were so limited it was really great to have Tai pick us up. It was just that stretch from seven minutes to about three-and-a-half minutes when they got the eight point lead and we just couldn’t get it back in line… There are a lot of things we did right tonight, we just didn’t do enough to win.”

On his team managing with Tai Webster’s illness and Shavon Shields’ foul trouble:
“(Tai) tells me after he makes his first five points that he feels awful so I said we will bring you out any time, so we tried to get him in and out. We tried to manage (Shavon’s) fouls. He had two fouls in about two minutes, so we were trying to manage all of that. But I thought the kids really fought considering that we were so undersized.”

On Shavon Shields’ importance to the team:
“I think Shavon is going to be a leader. He is going to be one of the top players in the Big Ten. We just couldn’t get him on the floor enough. When we had him on the floor and was able to get him in the middle of the action it changed the whole dynamic of the game. When he wasn’t in, it felt like we were just hoping something went right. Andrew (White, III) didn’t have his best game, Tai Webster really stepped up and this kid is a difference maker. I really like what our team brings. I can’t wait to play tomorrow. I wish we played at midnight, but I don’t think the team that loses and is done at midnight will probably agree with that.”

Nebraska Forward Shavon Shields
On his performance tonight:
“I think that it is my job with this team to try and lead us every single night. To step on the floor with Benny (Parker), Drew (Andrew White, III) and Tai (Webster)  and all of the upperclassmen, I think we are doing a really good job of showing the young guys what we need to do in order to win and we just came up short tonight.”

Cincinnati Head Coach Mick Cronin
On tonight’s game

“It was a hard fought game. The game got better for the fans as well as Cincinnati as the game went on. We were able to score some points. We looked awfully ugly early on the offensive end.”

“Give Nebraska a lot of credit. They’re as well coached a team defensively as we will play all year. They take things away from you. They make nothing easy. They really challenge your guys to make some adjustments. We did that. We simplified some things. We started getting the ball inside. Once we got the ball inside, the game changed for us. (Nebraska) had us playing in circles in the first half. Once we were able to get the ball inside that was the difference in the game.”

“It was a tale of two halves for us. You have to be able to win when you don’t make shots…we just didn’t score inside in the first half. We missed a lot of point blank shots and didn’t finish with strength. This team can be a team that averages a lot more points than we have in the past. We have to string two halves together.”

On Cincinnati Guard Troy Caupain
“Troy Caupain is one of the best guards in the country. People will find that out as the year goes on. That’s how good I think he is.”

On returning to coaching after recovering from 2014-15 health concerns
“I don’t take anything for granted. I just appreciate being able to coach and having my health. I know it’s not a promise for tomorrow.”

Cincinnati Guard Troy Caupain
“It was just one of those nights. The ball looked good going in. I had a lot of confidence tonight. My teammates and I, we backed each other up. We were just out there playing, having a good time, smiling, letting the game come to us.”

I hate the aftermath of games like this.  I want to say we played well.  I want to say that we are close.  I want to say that but for this or that, we would have won.  But dang, we should have had that game.  Yes we are young.  Yes, those darn refs screwed us again.  Yes one of our main players was taken from us early due to foul trouble.  But for us to turn the corner, we need to start winning those games.  35 to 37 minutes of good basketball against a good team, simply cannot cut it.  We need to play 40 minutes of basketball and get over the hump.

Tai, good game bud!

Hammond's growing on me. Especially on the offensive end.

Watson's growing up, too.

If they bring the fight they did today, I'll call this team a success. They have their deficiencies, but if they play as hard as they did today, nobody will want to play them. I think they'll do it in PBA, they'll need to learn to do it in a hostile gym. The team two seasons ago figured out how to do what down the stretch, last year's didn't.

So, my keys to the game were playing well on the defensive end.  Held Cincy to 65 points and 38.9% shooting.  Good.

Shoot the 3 well.  Went 7-16 from 3.  Good again.

Get to the free throw line.  Went 10-11.  Not enough attempts.  That and rebounding was the difference in the game.

This team is going to keep getting better.  Hammond needs to ask Santa for 20 pounds of muscle, but has really improved over last year.  White struggled shooting.  Even airballed a 3 footer.  Shields was in foul trouble most of the game, but still had 14.  

The best Miles quote on the radio.  "I told the refs that it is really tough to defend the post player when he is in the lane for 8 seconds."