uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 5 - UAPB

uneblinstu

Remember when scoring 67 was an encouraging offensive performance? Man, those were the days.

- Really, there isn't a ton to complain about. They got the normal shots they do, but I think the UAPB length bothered them a little early which led to the slow start. 

- Thought this was perhaps their best defensive game of the season.

- I liked that we got to sit Shavon, White, Benny and Tai for most of the 2nd half. 

- I also liked that unlike the other game, we didn't let the other team back into the game. That showed a lot of growth on the 2nd teamers. 

- Felt like no one was really comfortable stepping into that third scorers role tonight. McVeigh, Tai and Benny all felt a little tentative in the scorers end of things.

- I can't wait until Morrow doesn't have to play the 5.

- Thought this was Watson's best game on the defensive end.

- I feel like we should be a better free throw shooting team than we are. 70%'s not bad, I guess, but considering how many shooters we've got on this team, it seems like we should be a little better.

- I just like a lot of what I'm seeing from this team, even though they didn't shoot particularly well tonight. I'll be curious to see how they handle a good opponent in what I'm expecting will be a fairly sparsely attended game on Friday. A split this weekend would be a really nice result for this team.

I'm not sure how much of the games I'll get to see this weekend. If ESPN3 has a replay available Friday evening, I'll hopefully get to watch it tape delayed. Saturday will depend on when they play whether or not I'll be able to get a chatter up. Norm might be on Chatter duty this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

APB had length and decent athletes.  That combination created a bit of issue for us, especially early on.  Add that to the perception that our legs may have been a bit tired, created shooting issues.  Hope we can get our legs back, because we must shoot better as we move into our schedule.  That said, I loved our defense.

- Shout out to Jake...this was his most active game.  Hope this game is a glimpse as to what we can expect from him moving forward.

- Loved when we had all five freshmen on the floor at the same time.  Sweet!

- GW, Jr. had some great moves tonight.  As with Jake, it provides a glimpse at our future.

- Ed is a beast, what a motor.  Dang, he reminds me of Rodman.

- Michael is starting to round into game shape.  This was his best game heretofore.

- Benny struggled with his offensive game tonight.  APB's length appeared to bother him.

- Andrew and Shavon came close to meeting expectations.  But we need their shooting touch to be much more consistent.  Same goes for Jack.

- Also wanted to give special mention to Tai.  The dude can defend the ball.  His move to the basket is excellent, but we need him to knock down his outside staff when he gets a clear look.

- I love how this team attacks the basket for a rebound.  Good stuff.

Remember the days when we'd be HAPPY with a 23 point win over...anybody? I mean it's like we lost or something!

I'm not sure how useful it is to focus on the margin of victory. APB is a horrible basketball team. There was a notable lack of energy on offense tonight, and a lot of sloppy play and bad turnovers. Guys weren't hitting shots tonight with few exceptions.

I thought our young freshman guards played extremely well, however. They were the bright spot tonight in my book. Bakari Evelyn is going to be very good in time. The skill is there. Glynn Watson looks more comfortable with each game. 

I looked at CH-lll late in the first half and told him that had he told me we would be shooting 21.4% and still be up 18 I would not have believed him.

Watson was a positive tonight.  He is a lot of fun to watch on the defensive end.

Shooting was just bad tonight.

Defense was just great tonight.

Jake Hammond had a solid game tonight.  If he could play like that and the others who typically put the ball in the basket we will be in good shape.  Oh for him to add another 20-25 pounds of muscle.

Future is bright, we had 5 freshman on the floor vs their starters for an extended period of time.

I know the new foul rules are to help scoring and flow but they just kill flow and the pace of the game.

Shame on those that started leaving with 14 minutes left in the game.

I know the new foul rules are to help scoring and flow but they just kill flow and the pace of the game.

Gotta stay the course on it, though. If the refs can stick with it, it will open the game up a lot once teams and players adjust. Just gotta get through the adjustment period and it'll take diligence and patience on a lot of people's part to get there.

I forgot my phone on the way to the stadium so I was on radio silence for a few hours.

I don't know if it's happened before but we got to see our Fab 5 - Watson, Eveyln, McVeigh, Morrow, and Jacobson on the floor at the same time.

These guys made that pretty easy for us....these guys made the 14-15 Huskers look like the 14-15 Golden St. Warriors in terms of shooting

Not sure what the final stat line was for Watson but that was the most in control I've seen him. Good to see.

I forgot my phone on the way to the stadium so I was on radio silence for a few hours.

I don't know if it's happened before but we got to see our Fab 5 - Watson, Eveyln, McVeigh, Morrow, and Jacobson on the floor at the same time.

These guys made that pretty easy for us....these guys made the 14-15 Huskers look like the 14-15 Golden St. Warriors in terms of shooting

Not sure what the final stat line was for Watson but that was the most in control I've seen him. Good to see.

And the 5 freshman played vs their starters for several minutes

Highlights from UNL Media Relations

Notes: 
*-Nebraska held Arkansas-Pine Bluff to 44 points, the lowest point total since Illinois scored 43 against the Huskers on Jan. 11, 2015
*-Nebraska has grabbed 50 or more rebounds in each of the last two games. NU also had 16 offensive rebounds and converted them into 20 points. NU has out-rebounded all five opponents this season.
*-Shavon Shields finished with 15 points and moved past Brian Carr (1,181) into 18th place on NU’s career scoring list. Shields now has 1,196 career points. 
*-Jake Hammond tied or set career highs in points (six), rebounds (seven) and minutes (16)
*-Michael Jacobson grabbed a career high eight rebounds in 14 minutes and is averaging 7.5 rebounds the last two games
*-Nebraska’s 11 turnovers was a season low. 

Miles Post game presser

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4740645

Notes from it

Head Coach Tim Miles Quotes
Opening Statement

“I thought our defense was solid the whole night, despite a poor shooting effort. I thought Arkansas-Pine Bluff did a good job of chasing us off the 3-point line early. That seemed to get us off kilter, which is a good prep for our next game. I thought Glynn Watson was really good late in the first half to stretch the lead where I think it was 16 at halftime, where they finished the half and didn’t score for seven or eight minutes. I thought those were all kind of key moments.”

On Glynn Watson Jr.
“Glynn (Watson Jr.) can be a good player on both ends as he gains more and more strength and confidence. I think what you saw tonight was the confidence. Like OK I can do this, I can get to these guys and make the plays I need to make, and he did. His line was very solid and when I look at his efficiency, it’s excellent, there’s no turnovers almost no negative points. He was an efficient guy.”

On playing better offensively against Cincinnati
“I think we both had the same game tonight. I saw their score too. It’s just that time of the year. We’ll be ready for Cincinnati and if we’re not it is going to be a bloodbath. It will not be pretty because they are a very talented team. They are nationally ranked and I think they shoot it a little better this year.  Their press is really difficult to go against. I would say it’s like Villanova’s on steroids. They stay on you and make it a very physical game. That will be great for this team to see who steps up to the challenge.”

On preparing for this road trip
“I think we know what to expect. I don’t think they’ll be any mystery as to the quality of the competition. I think once we see them on tape and see their length and athleticism, it will be a startling difference from what we’ve seen the last three games. I think the guys will be ready to play.”

On the slow start tonight
“I remember telling Benny (Parker) to pick them up full court like four possession in to the game and usually you only do that when you want to get something going. I think both teams were feeling the load of playing a bunch of games in a short amount of time. But you really try to do it defensively so that way it leads into easy offense. No one can run good half court offense all night unless they are exceptional, and we are not at that point obviously. You just try and get your defense a little more hopped up and aggressive. I thought Benny (Parker) was good in that way.”

Arkansas Pine Bluff Head Coach George Ivory
On how he felt his team did tonight…
“I thought we played a lot better than we did the last couple of games. We took care of the ball better. I thought we missed a couple of open people on drives and made some unforced turnovers that we shouldn’t have made, but overall I thought we played hard.”

On what he liked most from his team tonight…
“Their determination to play hard even though you’re playing against a good basketball team. We got down early and they kept fighting. In every game we have, we’re going to have to learn how to execute the offense and do defensive assignments. I think we did a little better with that.”

On how they can use this game moving forward…
“Some of the areas we were weak in… I thought we were weak in rebounds. They did outrebound us tonight, but we got better in it over the last couple of games. And looking at the assists, I thought that we just need to pass and surely do it more. Overall we’re going to take this as a challenge, going into these kind of areas, like in the Big Ten, and playing and executing what we do for the future.” 

Post game from Andrew

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4741515

Post game from Watson

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4741516

Notes from White/Watson

Glynn Watson Jr.

On his comfort level
“A lot and just getting comfortable playing with my teammates. The first game I kind of came out a little nervous and didn’t really play my game. After that kind of got adjusted and just been trying to play my game.”

On the impact of the game

Play my role and do what coach Miles wants me to do. I’m just trying to get better defensively. I have been slacking a little bit Coach Miles told me and I tried to come out get a couple steals and get the team going.

On Learning from Villanova game

We can’t let a team get a big run on us like that and big drought. I think they went on a twenty-one and zero run or something like that. We got to make sure we don’t let a team get a big drought like that we were up seven. We have to stick together and execute our plays. We have to stick to our game plan.

Andrew White III

On Glynn Watson's Effort
“I think he did for sure. This was a good game for him to kind of get his confidence up. We kind of hit a slow spurt again tonight, which is good preparation going into the next game because early in the season some teams get straight blow outs and it is good to know that there will be some testy games going forward. I think that was a good opportunity for him to kind of lead the team, lead the bunch. When you are the point guard the ball is in your hands and I think he made good decisions and I think he grew up a little bit before our eyes in that little spurt of time.”

On Arkansas-Pine Bluff's Zone
“They were really active. Those guys had a lot of length out on the perimeter, very, very athletic team. They were just playing really high on the wings and they read there scouting reports because they were out on Jack (McVeigh), Shavon (Shields) and myself trying to prevent guys from getting shots off. I think they were just really urgent trying to get a spark early and zone is their bread and butter so you can tell that, that is something they really emphasize to capitalize on that length they have out on the perimeter. 

On His Offensive Performance
“My team relies on me to score and personally my big thing is to be efficient as I can. Even though I am in a position where I can put up a lot of shots I try to be as efficient as possible. Like you said I didn’t have a great offensive game last game, foul troubles got me sped up a little bit and tonight I didn’t have the best three-point shooting performance. My coaches challenges me all summer just to figure out what I would do when three-pointers aren’t falling, so I think they would be pretty proud of my effort and my performance giving that I didn’t have my best shooting day. That is kind of what it is all about, everything is new for me, I have never been a target on a college scouting report. So every game regardless of the outcome I’m learning new things.

Box Score

I can't figure out why Andrew White sits as much as he does.  Seems like he gets pulled a lot.  When you have Benny Parker and Tai Webster playing more minutes than White, that is not a good thing.  Even Shields has played 20 more minutes than White.  I hope when the competition gets better than White is on the floor the majority of the game.  He is our best scoring threat.

Box Score

I can't figure out why Andrew White sits as much as he does.  Seems like he gets pulled a lot.  When you have Benny Parker and Tai Webster playing more minutes than White, that is not a good thing.  Even Shields has played 20 more minutes than White.  I hope when the competition gets better than White is on the floor the majority of the game.  He is our best scoring threat.

I have to think Miles knows he is going to depend on White a lot during the year. You have to remember, he sat out a year or competitive games.  My guess is Miles will eventually have him playing closer to 30 minutes a game once the season starts.  Plus, this is a great chance to get the young guys quality minutes.  When the game is in hand (which 4 of the 5 have been) why wear down the legs of the guys who are going to give heavy minutes come B10 time.  That is the beauty of this team right now.  We have the luxury to do this.  In years past we even let the Pine Bluffs of the world hang around which meant more minutes.  Then 1/2 way thru the B10 slate we hit a wall. 

My guess is come B10 time NU will be down to an 8-9 man roster with that 9th guy being somebody that plays more when one of the top 8 are in foul trouble.

Oops...wrong PDF last night.

Really it's all about our competition. White played 30 minutes vs Villanova...had the game been closer he would have played more. He didn't need to play vs MSVU. He had two quick fouls vs Delaware St which limited his first half minutes. Finally we were purposefully resting everyone the last two games.  Assuming he's not in foul trouble you'll see White play 30+ minutes starting Friday.

Box Score

I have to think Miles knows he is going to depend on White a lot during the year. You have to remember, he sat out a year or competitive games.  My guess is Miles will eventually have him playing closer to 30 minutes a game once the season starts.  Plus, this is a great chance to get the young guys quality minutes.  When the game is in hand (which 4 of the 5 have been) why wear down the legs of the guys who are going to give heavy minutes come B10 time.  That is the beauty of this team right now.  We have the luxury to do this.  In years past we even let the Pine Bluffs of the world hang around which meant more minutes.  Then 1/2 way thru the B10 slate we hit a wall. 

My guess is come B10 time NU will be down to an 8-9 man roster with that 9th guy being somebody that plays more when one of the top 8 are in foul trouble.

i love how we are giving min so far. Get the lead..good pull the starters or vets let the young kids get these valuable min to work stuff out. We should be very fresh come conference time.