uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 4 - SE Louisiana

uneblinstu

Not gonna lie: I wanted 100. I wanted to hold them under 50. 

- In the pregame, Coach Miles said SE Louisiana was decent on the front wave of defense, but if you could get through that, they struggled at the rim. He said if NU could get to the rim, they'd be in good shape. They did. He was right. This might be the worst team we play. Northern St. might beat them.

- Not sure I've ever seen a NU team have that sort of advantage at halftime. 53-16 is impressive.

- When he fully emptied the bench, we were up 40 +. I'm content with that. The bench just couldn't get the ball to go in to get to 100.

- This game was tailor made for Tai to have a big game. He took advantage of it. Not going to get to excited about it until he puts a few of them back to back.

- Best game for Watson, too. Looked a lot better on defense, too. 

- Foul trouble kept White from having much impact. That's ok. The kids needed the experience more than he did.

- I looked up and Jacobsen had 11 points. I don't even know how that happened.

- Johnny Trueblood is no Jake Muhleisen.

- I honest to goodness thought Borchardt was going to will us to 100 when he came in. 

- Fuller, man, didn't have his best game. 

- Shields and White combined for 14 points and we still got to 92. That's impressive.

- 52 rebounds is a lot.

- Took better care of the ball (before some sloppyness at the end).

- 5 guys in double figures. 11 found their way into scoring column. Laws, Fuller, Borchardt didn't tally any points. 

I really don't know how much we learned in this one. I really don't.

Not gonna lie: I wanted 100. I wanted to hold them under 50. 

- In the pregame, Coach Miles said SE Louisiana was decent on the front wave of defense, but if you could get through that, they struggled at the rim. He said if NU could get to the rim, they'd be in good shape. They did. He was right. This might be the worst team we play. Northern St. might beat them.

- Not sure I've ever seen a NU team have that sort of advantage at halftime. 53-16 is impressive.

- When he fully emptied the bench, we were up 40 +. I'm content with that. The bench just couldn't get the ball to go in to get to 100.

- This game was tailor made for Tai to have a big game. He took advantage of it. Not going to get to excited about it until he puts a few of them back to back.

- Best game for Watson, too. Looked a lot better on defense, too. 

- Foul trouble kept White from having much impact. That's ok. The kids needed the experience more than he did.

- I looked up and Jacobsen had 11 points. I don't even know how that happened.

- Johnny Trueblood is no Jake Muelheisen.

- I honest to goodness thought Borchardt was going to will us to 100 when he came in. 

- Fuller, man, didn't have his best game. 

- Shields and White combined for 14 points and we still got to 92. That's impressive.

- 52 rebounds is a lot.

- Took better care of the ball (before some sloppyness at the end).

- 5 guys in double figures. 11 found their way into scoring column. Laws, Fuller, Borchardt didn't tally any points. 

I really don't know how much we learned in this one. I really don't.

Yeah, that question was kind of put to bed tonight, wasn't it?

Man, that was a tough game to watch.  Goodness, we either made them look terrible, or they were just plain terrible.  But for our last 8 minutes of chuck and duck basketball, we should have doubled them...the score should have (and easily could have been) 100 - 50.

- Our guard court looked pretty decent tonight. Tai, Benny and GW looked aggressive and took care of business.

- Freshmen looked pretty decent as well.  They keep growing their games.  Special shout out to Mr. Jacobson.  As he rounds into shape, we will find out he is a real keeper.

- Looks to me that the rotation is rounding into place:

Guards:  Benny, Tai, GW

Wings: Shavon, Andrew, Jack

Bigs:  Jake, Ed, Michael

We keep hearing it and we keep seeing it, keep making the extra pass. I doubt our third leading scorer this year is much more than 10 PPG. Miles tweeted something about spacing at halftime, I think. If NU can keep spacing like that, and spread the ball around, we can compete for top 5 or 6 in the conference...

We looked good in the opener too. I'm not saying NU's now going to finish top 4 in the league again. But I do like having so many options between Watson, McVeigh, Morrow, and yes, even Tai and Benny at times. Tai can do this more if he wants. Hopefully he can get in some type of rhythm.

I give respect to the scout teamers, who work hard and are team guys.  But they definitely looked like, well, scout teamers last night.  Bakari's shot was nasty (in the old definition of the word),  it would have been difficult to get a credit card under Borchardt's feet and the floor during his jumps, and those might have been the worst minutes of Fuller's career last night.  Felt a little bad for those guys, particularly the scholarship guys not in the top 9.  

I'm still really impressed with Borchardt.  

I thought his one-on-one post defense and screening were better than any of our bigs.  It's only a matter of time before he gets meaningful minutes, imo.  He just needs to lose about 15lbs.  He's not a leaper, but he's definitely a D1 athlete (remember he turned down full rides in football) with a high bball IQ.  

I'm also glad we have Trueblood.  The kid needs to learn defense, but offensively, he's pretty savvy.  Good ball handler too.

I am very encouraged by the passing and shooting ability of this team.  I don't think other teams are going to be able to pack it in defensively this year at all.  Hopefully our guards can figure out how to handle pressure.  I'm still worried that a press break isn't being taught effectively.  

*Benny is shooting it well.  If he's a threat out there, that's an enormous difference for his role.  I thought he and Watson were about even tonight as far as helping the team, possibly Benny with the slight edge (defense).  It's interesting watching Benny at the 2.  I would've never pictured him there, but it's starting to make a little bit of sense, particularly if he can spot up.  

**Hammond continues to get better.  He's starting to learn how to fight, which is all you can ask of him.  

***Morrow's defense was night and day tonight.  He was much more controlled, kept his man in front, and did a wonderful job with help defense.  We are so much better with him affecting the game defensively and on the offensive glass.  It might not show up in the stats, but he is a real pest on both ends.  He keeps a lot of possessions alive and alters a lot of shots/drives.  

****McVeigh is the real deal.   Great passer and very reliable as a scorer.  

*****Jacobson is looking more in game shape.  He's a serviceable big, no question, and that's probably all he'll be this year, but I think he ends up being an excellent player.  

What a freshman class.  Unreal.  

Hopefully Parker and Webster can take some of the positives from these directional or lesser know teams into the tournament next week.  It is nice to see them successful as they both have positive things they bring to the table.  I'd like to see them produce against good teams (Cincy, Miami, and Big 10 teams).   One lineup I'd like to see during this tinkering period is Tai, McVeigh, White, Shields, and any of Hammond, Jacobson, or Morrow.  Tai might struggle too much bringing the ball up the court, but I'm curious if this lineup could produce offensively.  It would seem to give some matchup problems against the opposing defense.  It seems like we are more so at a disadvantage a lot of times with people playing out of position.  I'd like to see if we could do that to others.  As someone else stated, Watson needs to get a little more arc on his shot.  I also hope we'd do much better against a press.  I don't want to see Creighton turn us over 20 times.  I'm enjoying the season so far.  It's fun seeing all the new people and a good team attitude.  

Hopefully Parker and Webster can take some of the positives from these directional or lesser know teams into the tournament next week.  It is nice to see them successful as they both have positive things they bring to the table.  I'd like to see them produce against good teams (Cincy, Miami, and Big 10 teams).   One lineup I'd like to see during this tinkering period is Tai, McVeigh, White, Shields, and any of Hammond, Jacobson, or Morrow.  Tai might struggle too much bringing the ball up the court, but I'm curious if this lineup could produce offensively.  It would seem to give some matchup problems against the opposing defense.  It seems like we are more so at a disadvantage a lot of times with people playing out of position.  I'd like to see if we could do that to others.  As someone else stated, Watson needs to get a little more arc on his shot.  I also hope we'd do much better against a press.  I don't want to see Creighton turn us over 20 times.  I'm enjoying the season so far.  It's fun seeing all the new people and a good team attitude.  

SE Louisiana denied the inbound pass...Creighton's press is simply to eat up clock before you get into your offense.  With that said, if I'm an opposing coach I would put full court pressure on NU until we prove we can beat it.  Lot's to like about this team, the freshman class is going to be very good.  We are getting better game by game.  Hopefully we have a solid showing this week at the Barclays...Cinci will be a tough matchup for us but I think we can beat them. 

As someone else stated, Watson needs to get a little more arc on his shot.  

The guy behind me told his 10 year old the same thing. His shooting stats so far aren't impressive.

He had a rough start his first two games from the field...I'm sure there were some nerves + playing Nova is not an easy task.  But, in the last two games he's close to .500 from the field and has hit is last three shots from deep.  This year I don't think he's someone who is going to light it up with his jump shot but he's good enough to draw attention from the defense which is more than we can say from our PG since Miles first year at NU.