Scouting Villanova

hhcmatt

Nova runs a 4-out 1-in motion offense. Basically they use their guard heavy lineup to spread out the defense and open up the paint. Jay Wright's squads have had top 25 efficiency offense in 5 of the last 10 years.

We actually match up size-wise with them except for 6-10 245 center Daniel Ochefu, who is good on both sides of the court. You can't really double down on the guy because Villanova is too good of a passing team to not burn you. On the other hand, can anyone man up on him? The foul Gods would be helpful here.  Our gameplan will probably be to pack the paint and hope they can't hit from 3.

Is Nova going to press us? Man us? Zone us? We might see it all unless whatever they start out with just works.

Nova starts 2 Seniors, 2 Juniors and 5 star freshman PG Jalen Brunson who spent his summer becoming the MVP for the USA under 19 squad

Wright has been at Villanova for a long time now...I haven't watched much Nova ball...any insight is appreciated.

Edited by hhcdimes
I will probably only refer to them as Nova from now on

I do t have a clue as to how we will measure up.

If I'm being honest with myself....we are likely to lose by double digits...and maybe 20+.  Nova is a talanted and experienced team.  First road game for a young NU team against one of the better teams in the nation is a recipe for a beatdown IMO.  With that said, if if we get beat badly it will be used as a learning experience for the young guys.  We also can play well and surprise them...looking forward to seeing what team shows up. 

Villanova doesn't really pound it into the post, even when they have a size advantage.  They like to shoot from behind the arc, so trying to force them to take a lot of threes may not be the most effective strategy.  They essentially start two PGs -- last year's BE co-POY Archidiacano and the potential one and done freshman Brunson.  They even have one lineup where they play three PGs, so don't anticipate causing a lot of turnovers as they handle the ball very, very well.  They are point guard U after all.  Outside of Ochefu, seemingly everyone they put on the floor can really shoot it, but they also will attack the rim.  Very fast paced team and extremely well coached by Jay Wright.

On the defensive end, they play a style that attacks the gaps and is intended to create turnovers.  They love to turn a team over and then convert those turnovers to easy baskets with all of their speed.  Expect them to bait ball handlers into unwise passes and shots.  They don't play real tight D on the perimeter, so there should be a fair amount of open threes available so shooters should be ready to fire away.

The fact that the game is in Nova's much smaller on campus arena is am important detail.  Nova very rarely loses there and may have among the best home court advantages in the entire country when playing in that little arena. 

While Nova is very good, the match-up is not horrible for Nebraska because Nova tends to play small (3 guards) and usually doesn't feature their bigs even when they have a distinct advantage.  A team with more dominant inside guys would present a much worse match-up I suspect.

Villanova doesn't really pound it into the post, even when they have a size advantage.  They like to shoot from behind the arc, so trying to force them to take a lot of threes may not be the most effective strategy. 

Good note...I didn't notice they were such a 3pt happy team.

Villanova doesn't really pound it into the post, even when they have a size advantage.  They like to shoot from behind the arc, so trying to force them to take a lot of threes may not be the most effective strategy. 

I thought I read something from Miles in regards to this being a concern because of our "pack" style of defense. 

I thought I read something from Miles in regards to this being a concern because of our "pack" style of defense. 

He said it in his presser after the game.

Thanks.  Will be interesting to see what the staff comes up with....I'd still rather take the drive away from them and have them beat us with the three ball. 

Thanks.  Will be interesting to see what the staff comes up with....I'd still rather take the drive away from them and have them beat us with the three ball. 

Indiana, Michigan, and Creighton were all teams we faced last year who shoot a lot of threes. We had more trouble on offense than defense against those teams. If they shoot like they did against F-D (27.8% from 3), it sure would help.

From the Top 50 players in the NCAA (http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/college-basketball-s-top-50-players-ben-simmons-kris-dunn-fred-vanvleet-110215):

21. Jalen Brunson, freshman guard, Villanova. That’s right – my highest-ranked player from the best team in the Big East isn’t senior Ryan Arcidiacono or senior Daniel Ochefu. It’s the newbie who will, along with Archidiacono, form the smartest backcourt in the country. Nobody impressed me more during tryouts for the Team USA U19 team this summer (and then at the FIBA U19 in Greece) than Brunson, who won MVP for the gold-winning American team. He’s as good at facilitating as at scoring. His court awareness would be an uncommon skill even if he were a college senior. It’s precocious in a freshman.

Another top 50 player we all know:

47. Shavon Shields, senior guard, Nebraska. The Huskers were hyped going into the season last year, then a mess during the season. Shields was one of the few bright spots. He averaged 15.4 points and six rebounds for a team that played elite defense but couldn’t score if its life depended on it. Call me crazy, but I think Nebraska could make the tourney this year. It’s addition by subtraction after losing Walter Pitchford and Terran Petteway and adding Tim Miles’ best recruiting class. Shields will benefit from a more balanced attack, and will surely improve on what was anemic three-point shooting last year.